Astro-1 Up Scale Buld Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jazzviper1

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hurray my first build thread!

This is one of 3 simultainious build threads that I will be running.

Thsi is an 18mm BT-60 based Centui Astro-1 upscale.

Here is a pic of the "kit".
Construction will start this after noon.

Astro-1.jpg

First I hardened the balsa nose cone with thin CA.

After marking the air frame, I tacked each fin in place with thin CA and accelerator. After all 3 fins were attached I glued the motor mount in with yellow Elmers wood glue. Last came tacking the launch lug in place with the thin CA.

Started filleting the fins using the wood glue.

Astro-1 002.jpg

Astro-1 003.jpg

Astro-1 004.jpg

Astro-1 005.jpg

Astro-1 006.jpg

How very odd. I just finished painting an Astro-1 yesterday (waiting for a good day to clear coat) and thought to myself, "this would be a good rocket to upscale." I think it may also be a nice one to stage. A handsome rocket all the way around.

Looking forward to reading this thread and seeing the end product. I gotta ask: How ya gonna paint it? What scheme do you have in mind? Or, should I just kick back and wait?

Cool looking rocket. Where did you get the parts from?

Nose cone - Semroc
Air frame - Ebay
Fins - Home made
Motor mount - A vintage Estes mount.
Parachute - An old Centui 16" parachute that I had laying arround.
I will probably print my own decals forthin one.

How very odd. I just finished painting an Astro-1 yesterday (waiting for a good day to clear coat) and thought to myself, "this would be a good rocket to upscale." I think it may also be a nice one to stage. A handsome rocket all the way around.

Looking forward to reading this thread and seeing the end product. I gotta ask: How ya gonna paint it? What scheme do you have in mind? Or, should I just kick back and wait?

After seeing the 3 different sizes of Astro-1s on Semroc's website I just felt this one screamed BT-60 up scale.
As to the paint Black Nose, White Airframe, Red fins, and up size of the old Centuri decals.

Nose cone - Semroc
Air frame - Ebay
Fins - Home made
Motor mount - A vintage Estes mount.
Parachute - An old Centui 16" parachute that I had laying arround.
I will probably print my own decals forthin one.

The nose cone seems a bit 'off'. Are you sure it's been upscaled to the right length?

The nose cone seems a bit 'off'. Are you sure it's been upscaled to the right length?

I am sure that its prety close.
I did the calculations and this cone is supposedto be within a half inch or so of the calculated length.

It is the closest that Semroc has, I don't have a lathe to turn my own, don't have room for one either.

I did the calculations and this cone is supposedto be within a half inch or so of the calculated length.

It is the closest that Semroc has, I don't have a lathe to turn my own, don't have room for one either.

Man... your idea of close and my idea of close are not close at all. :D

Last edited:

Man... your idea of close and my idea of close are not close at all. :D

Semroc does have just the cone you need for the Astro-1.

On my monitor, after being expanded, the picture of the nose cone in post #1 measures 68 mm by 16 mm.

68 divided by 16 gets ya 4.25, which is a 4.25:1 ratio.
You upscaled to BT-60, so 1.637 inches times 4.25 is 6.957 inches (round up to 7 inches).

I just happen to have a Astro-1 still in the bag. The nose cone meausers in at 5.2 inches. The body tube measures in at 1.040 inches.

5.2 inches divided by 1.040 inches gets ya 5, which is a 5:1 ratio.

Again, you upscaled to BT-60, so 1.637 inches times 5 gets ya 8.185 inches (round up to 8.2 inches).

Semroc has a BNC-60G5 that measures in at 8.2 inches.

When you go to Semroc's list of BNC-60 nose cones the BNC-60G5 is listed as 9.1 inches in length. That is a misprint. When you select the 'view' button and the picture for the BNC-60G5 comes up, the text states the correct measurement of 8.2 inches.

You now know 8.2 inches is right because the math above agrees with that number.

I'd get the BNC-60G5.

8.185 inches to 8.2 inches, that's my idea of close. :D

bnc-60g5.jpg

Last edited:
On my monitor, after being expanded, the picture of the nose cone in post #1 measures 68 mm by 16 mm.

68 divided by 16 gets ya 4.25, which is a 4.25:1 ratio.
You upscaled to BT-60, so 1.637 inches times 4.25 is 6.957 inches (round up to 7 inches).

I just happen to have a Astro-1 still in the bag. The nose cone meausers in at 5.2 inches. The body tube measures in at 1.040 inches.

5.2 inches divided by 1.040 inches gets ya 5, which is a 5:1 ratio.

Again, you upscaled to BT-60, so 1.637 inches times 5 gets ya 8.185 inches (round up to 8.2 inches).

Semroc has a BNC-60G5 that measures in at 8.2 inches.

When you go to Semroc's list of BNC-60 nose cones the BNC-60G5 is listed as 9.1 inches in length. That is a misprint. When you select the 'view' button and the picture for the BNC-60G5 comes up, the text states the correct measurement of 8.2 inches.

You now know 8.2 inches is right because the math above agrees with that number.

I'd get the BNC-60G5.

8.185 inches to 8.2 inches, that's my idea of close. :D

That is the nose that is on the rocket. Cone with out sfoulder measures at just a hair over 8 inches.

Back