Are we there yet build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i suppose you could go w/o recovery as the strapons would likely tumble, but why. it wouldn't require much space for a gee switch activated timer,e match, aa battery and 15 feet of mylar streamer. i reckon you could easily get the battery and timer in the strap-on nose cones, just run an ec below the streamer and you'd be good to go. added benefit--much easier to find!
john s

The main reason is that it would allow for EX motors... yes a timer could be used (no room in nose cone, it is solid) but two timers is not cheap, and I dont see a huge benifet. I am sure if I get two adults or young adults each watching one booster... and I could get the younger family members into it ($5 to each kid per booster they find). They will be coming off right at burnout, and even with L impulse in a light rocket, I dont think they will be very high up. I am also going to look into using a pull pin style beeper that activates at booster seperation. Do you guys feel that that may cause a problem (booster gets attached by the beeper)? This thing is going to be moving like a bat out of hell and they air is going to rip those boosters off so I dont think there will be any trouble getting the beepers to come loose. I would really like to have no electronics in the boosters... if both had a timer that would mean the flight would have 3 timers and an alt in three seperate tubes. That is a lot of arming work on the pad. I will probably be painting them with a very bright color that will stand out in the farm land. Any suggestions for paint colors and/or techinques to find them. The cost of the boosters and nose cones is very low, but the 5 or 6 grain 38mm casings would be a serious loss if they got lost.

suit yourself, couple of timers to do it right would cost 10 bucks,
js

Were can I get two $10 timers? If they were that cheap I may consider it... I have a large amount of 9/16" TN, and some one time use (easily burns... but is very bright) plastic streamer material. If you can show me where I can get two timers for $10, I would go for it.

well that was an amusing link, but i had more in mind something like this;
https://www.hobbytron.com/vmk111.html

these are 10 bucks but look around;i have seen them on ebay for 5 or 6, or build your own for less if you have a solder gun and will travel thru cyberspace,
john s

I like the little $10 unit... but I would really like the simplicity of a tumble recovery. Well I will look into it somemore... Just finished my final check up on the filllets (did all 4 with milled fiber, thickened epoxy at the same time) and they are almost cured, I used rubbing alchohal to smooth them out with gloves on of course and they look nice. I will take a picture of the fin section after sanding and painting of the fins (need to sand the CF area). I also JB welded the aeropack retainer on. Next construction step is to CF the inside of the alt bay coupler and then I am going to cover the entire airframe with PML finishing epoxy and power sand it with ultra fine sand paper. This will give it a much smoother and nicer finish. My next order is the finishing epoxy and some 38mm tubing for the boosters. Booster hardware will be coming soon, and after I am almost finished I will be purchasing a chute from "anchor parachutes" to bring the main section down when it is deployed at 700' AGL.

When wetted my CF tubing looks amazing. But after about a minute it dry's and is very dull. I have heard urathane helps, so I went to the local hardware store. They had regular brush on, wipe on and spray on. I liked the idea of wipe on, but I found some spar urathane (supposed to be a little more heavy duty and thicker, used on boats I believe) but was only available in spray. The first coat is on the top tube of the rocket, I plan on doing 3 coats, sanding, then doing a few more coats and seeing how it looks. If it looks great, then well great, if it doesnt I will sand and do some more. I have decided to not use the PML finishing epoxy as stated above, because I am using the polyurethane. Also, because some epoxy from the fillets got onto the tubing inbetween the fins (cant sand becasue fins are in the way) I have decided to leave the 2.5"s of tubing below the fins, and the CF tubing above them natural CF color. The fins and airframe inbetween will be painted.

The urethane on the tubing looks great. I plan on possibly getting a coat or two of silver paint on the fins and airframe in-between. I am going for a CF rocket with a metalic fin can... look. I also sprayed some urethane on the bass wood nose cone and it has a very nice shine. I will post a picture of the completed main rocket within a few weeks (vacation in a week...) and then will have a picture of the entire rocket with strap on boosters installed after that.

This thing looks amazing. Up close (holding the rocket and looking) you can see a few imperfections but if you stand back 3-4' it looks amazing! The wooden nose cone reflects light better then some metals, the CF shines like the hood of a CF car hood and the fin can area is amazing with the metallic silver paint! I will try to post a picture tomorrow...

Back