Are we still suppose to use sanding sealer on Bluetube?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
There use to be a content on alwaysreadyrocketry.com about "care and feeding of Bluetube" and described using a sanding filler to seal Buetube prior to finishing. I can't seem to find it on the site and google turns up nothing. Is that technique no longer required when using Bluetube?

I'm working on a Bluetube based build ( i love that material btw ) and went ahead and gave it a sealing coat first thing but i wonder if it's no longer required. Maybe a change was made to the Bluetube material?

There use to be a content on alwaysreadyrocketry.com about "care and feeding of Bluetube" and described using a sanding filler to seal Buetube prior to finishing. I can't seem to find it on the site and google turns up nothing. Is that technique no longer required when using Bluetube?

I'm working on a Bluetube based build ( i love that material btw ) and went ahead and gave it a sealing coat first thing but i wonder if it's no longer required. Maybe a change was made to the Bluetube material?
I did not know that Dave had updated the FAQ. Here's the original info.

Painting and Sealing Blue Tube 2.0
For best results, keep dry, scuff the surface with fine sandpaper, and seal with a few coats of sanding sealer. We use Cabot #8065, but any oil-based sanding sealer will do. Sand and paint as usual. The sanding sealer is a thin penetrating liquid for wood. It will wet the vulcanized fiber, soak in, and dry. In addition, it will make a vapor barrier and a great base to paint on. As a result, primer is unnecessary. Sand lightly until smooth. That's it!

Yes, you must seal Bluetube if you want to paint it as it will absorb the paint like a sponge. I use finishing epoxy and paint the whole tube with it. DO NOT wet sand bluetube!!

Back