Apogee shipping charge

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bone Daddy

Reaction score
I went to order an Altimeter 1 and a few smal things like centering rings and kevlar shock cords. The total was $60 something with a $22 shipping charge.

My only shipping option was best method. Do they have a less than best method I missed? Surely there is a cheaper way to ship.

Did you recieve expedited shipping?? Normal shipping rate for your items should have been $8.10. Apogee lists their shipping rates. If you just recieved a "best method" option and no dollar amount I would have questioned them before going ahead with the order.

Some vendors charge rates that go by the dollar amount you purchase. I once had a small quantity of items that would fit in a small box, but was worth a high dollar amount.

The shipping charge was more than I wanted to pay, knowing that these items would ship at a much cheaper rate. I contacted the vendor and he adjusted the price of shipping.

Clipped from the Apogee web site...

appship.JPG

just be glad your not getting a mid powe rocket sent to Australia i just shipped a bus 24" X 13" X 10" 8 Lbs Std Fedex $265.00 UPS and USPS isn't any nicer for over size boxes.
Mr. Bob
Starlight Model Rockets LLC
www.starlightrocketry.com

"Surely there is a cheaper way to ship."

USPS has flat rate boxes. You've seen it on TV, "If it fits,it ships". It's like $6.00 per box.

I think 'ol Timmy is making some bucks for himself with the shipping method he employs. I don't purchase anything from Apogee any more because of their shipping prices.

I would have to agree. $22 is ridiculous....

I order from a bunch of vendors ,and I find their prices all over the board (even though I live in Canada) from not bad to freekin crazy.Apogee is one of the good ones as well as a few others ,go figure....:confused2:

And it`s not like I always have a choice.AND...one thing I will NEVER accept is UPS shipping over the border ,bunch of pirates with their rates and "brokerage" fees.....bandits and their little $^&% colored trucks !

Paul

Shipping is the hardest thing to calculate for a vendor.

Me personally WEIGHT is almost NEVER an issue, Size is sometimes.

BUT when you do a website and are using paypal. it's tought you either have to offer SHIPPING per item. (defined by the web designer) or by weight, and it adds them all up. so if you got 4 or 5 small items it probably added them up.

Like i said for me thats no problem it costs ME the same to ship 1 decal as it does to ship 20 decals (for the most part) so I do ONE charge per order.

For them 1 item might be easy but several? some may be heavy some may not so they have to do it buy weight for each item figuring you might just buy one.

your best bet. contact them (like Jim recommended) and see what they can do they will most likely be able to see what you ordered and combine it into one shipping cost.

...one thing I will NEVER accept is UPS shipping over the border ,bunch of pirates with their rates and "brokerage" fees.....bandits and their little $^&% colored trucks !

Paul

WHAT CAN BROWN DO FOR YOU?

I hate UPS! In addition to pretending that they do so much additional work to ship hazmat--in order to justify outrageous hazmat charges--they care nothing about their customer--or their packages. One typical story--I once received several Dr. Rocket motors from Magnum--including a 38/1080 motor--the box was bent into the shape of the letter "L". The box was split open--I could see the motors in the box as the UPS Driver tried to hand it to me. I mentioned this to the driver--he got mad at me--and assured me that he did not do it. Ever try to load a J570 into a case with a 90 dgree turn? I have many more such stories--I try to avoid UPS at all costs. I find that USPS Priority Mail is great. Fed-Ex Ground does a fantastic job. I often wonder who the genius is that came up with "What can Brown do for you?"--what a dumb slogan.

WHAT CAN BROWN DO FOR YOU?

I hate UPS! In addition to pretending that they do so much additional work to ship hazmat--in order to justify outrageous hazmat charges--they care nothing about their customer--or their packages. One typical story--I once received several Dr. Rocket motors from Magnum--including a 38/1080 motor--the box was bent into the shape of the letter "L". The box was split open--I could see the motors in the box as the UPS Driver tried to hand it to me. I mentioned this to the driver--he got mad at me--and assured me that he did not do it. Ever try to load a J570 into a case with a 90 dgree turn? I have many more such stories--I try to avoid UPS at all costs. I find that USPS Priority Mail is great. Fed-Ex Ground does a fantastic job. I often wonder who the genius is that came up with "What can Brown do for you?"--what a dumb slogan.

When ever I hear that slogan, I think of toilette paper :puke:

It even takes the same time as USPS if not longer to get to my door.Many times I don`t pay customs charges or taxes when I get stuff shipped from the US to Canada through USPS (unless it`s several hundred dollars worth of merch) as opposed to ....you know who :mad: They rape me every time......BUT NOT NO MO`

Paul

...one thing I will NEVER accept is UPS shipping over the border ,bunch of pirates with their rates and "brokerage" fees.....bandits and their little $^&% colored trucks !
Is Purolator any better?

- Rich

Is Purolator any better?

- Rich

I cannot comment on the other couriers ,I`ve only had 4 dealings with UPS cross border shipping ,and it will not happen again.USPS / Canada Post is fine with me and the prices seem alright ,considering where I live and most packages get to me in 8-10 working days.But of course ,things get held up in customs for 2-4 days of that :(

Paul

Thanks everyone.

I am not used to negotiating shipping costs with vendors and feel it shouldn't be necessary. Y'all may personally know people in the company, I do not.

I am curious why there is the shipping chart as pointed out, if the shipping method defaults to a rate 2x the one on the chart with no option to pick a different method. It is interesting that the best method (US only) charges me the same amount as the foreign shipping cost. I ran the order twice thinking I made a mistake or missed something, but got the same results both times.

I checked some of my shipping charges from Semroc. A $72.50 order shipped free which included multiple body tubes and came in a good sized box. A $10.30 order shipped for $2.35. These orders were placed on the web.

We charge ACTUAL UPS shipping + $1.00 + 1%

That said, I can ship 1 pound UPS to LA from Detroit for $9.00
The same 1 pound shipped to Michigan 30 miles away is $11.45

UPS gives cheap rates to metro areas and high rates if you live in a rual area.

We like UPS rather than USPS because the pick u at our atore and have real time tacking and insurance is included with shippments under $100.00

Shipping charges are what ther are, then add a box and tape.
Our boxes renage from $1.00 to $5.00 and lets add $0.40 for tape.

Every vendor will price this in a unique way, we offer dicsounts on products
and charge you for shipping. Others sell at full retail and shipping is free.

The TOTAL cost is what you need to look at.

Last edited:
It is interesting that the best method (US only) charges me the same amount as the foreign shipping cost.

Maybe there is a bug in Apogee's website, and the s/h cost is not being calculated correctly. I would contact Apogee.

Bob

I also had a problem placing an order via the Apogee website. I couldn't "check out" with my "shopping cart". Contacted Tim and he advised to place the order over the phone while they researched the order function.

If something doesn't seem right, contact the vendor!

Again, thank you everyone for your input and comments.

Maybe I can get an answer to this:

Why do vendors (not just rocket vendors) wait until you have entered all of your information - including your credit card # - before they calculate shipping charges? I would think it could be calculated after the shipping address is entered.

I have canceled more than a few orders - all types of vendors - when the shipping charges are way out of line. It feels like a switch and bait.

I ran my Apogee order again and this time it went through without a hitch. One altimeter 1 headed my way.

Last edited:
That feature is usually part of the shopping cart and it is more common for the calculation to be done before you have to input all your information. Sometimes I won't even buy from someone because I have to do so much work just to find the final price and I give up and go somewhere else.

I just recieved a larger box (two TLP kits) from Sirius Rocketry and it got here in 9 days.....that`s pretty fast and it only cost me $ 8.49 !!

Now that`s pretty hard to beat :jaw:

Paul

And got it in the mail today.

Can't wait to fly it this Saturday at our club launch.

All's well that ends well.

Thanks again everyone.

I'll chime in with the other Paul.. I too, hate UPS, for the matter of the outragious customs & brokerage charges. They probably are OK for stuff fomr one major city to another, in tehsame country.. But as soon as you get outside "the norm"...

I was to order $80 from an outfit in NYcity, only to be charged close to $60 in shipping. When i called the vendor, I asked if there was anything they could do. "nope, sorry, we're dedicated to UPS.." Their loss....

Did you hear, Fed Ex & UPS were to merge..

they were gonna be call Fed-Up!!!

har har har.. groan....

Just found a reciept from last spring.I ordered a PoleCat Pershing II and i was charged a total of...........................READY

$ 88.65 shipping and brokerage fees......:madnote:

Took 13 days to get to me !

I need a smilie thing of a UPS guy giving me a prostate exam ,that would pretty much explain how I felt !! I mean ,at least buy me some flowers or a box of chocolates afterwords :rofl:

Paul

Just found a reciept from last spring.I ordered a PoleCat Pershing II and i was charged a total of...........................READY

$ 88.65 shipping and brokerage fees......:madnote:

Took 13 days to get to me !

I need a smilie thing of a UPS guy giving me a prostate exam ,that would pretty much explain how I felt !! I mean ,at least buy me some flowers or a box of chocolates afterwords :rofl:

Paul

I have read on the forums that calling the Polecat vendor, may result in lower shipping charges.

I have read on the forums that calling the Polecat vendor, may result in lower shipping charges.

Yup ,I did that and it was USPS all the way after that ! It was part of his default at that time, but that all changed...so many more kits were ordered after that phone call :clap:

Paul

did anyone call?

As for brokerage charges, couriers will be expensive. Use the post office when possible.

Shippers can also have it set up that they pay any customs or brokerage fees - Free Domicile.

Ask ahead of time.

Back