Apogee Components - Zephyr

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here’s my Zephyr build. Flew it at the NARAM-63 event recently. Flew a Aerotech H283 Super Thunder for my Level 1 Certification. My favorite build so far!

Attachments

• 9485EA0C-7F9F-4D69-89B0-CFC0F0B72AEB.jpeg
    9485EA0C-7F9F-4D69-89B0-CFC0F0B72AEB.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • B301F6C5-D279-4E3C-9CD9-F09B67620FB5.jpeg
    B301F6C5-D279-4E3C-9CD9-F09B67620FB5.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 4B686CAC-899F-4C9C-9400-06B2AEA863ED.jpeg
    4B686CAC-899F-4C9C-9400-06B2AEA863ED.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Anybody want to share the finished weights of their Zephyrs? Mine is coming in at just under 1.5kg (1484 grams, or 3.27 lbs). Apogee's website lists stock weight as 1247 grams.

Mine is built stock, with an AeroPack aluminum motor retainer. I'm fairly confident I didn't go overboard with epoxy (I prefer smaller fin fillets anyways) or paint. I'm using the provided shock cord and parachute, etc. I did add some quick links to the recovery system.

My no-motor CG was measured as 38" from the nosecone tip. Sims show an H100 as marginal, with low velocity-off-rod (38 ft/s) and a "Stage begins to tumble under thrust" warning.

It looks like I'll be going with an H219 or H283 for my first flight (would like to use a DMS for the certification attempt). Thoughts?

Just got my L1 certification Saturday with my Zephyr. And a big thanks to my club members on their excellant mentoring!
Wanted to make sure it didn’t get lost so high visibilty orange for this one!
Congrats
What motor did you go with ?

Anybody want to share the finished weights of their Zephyrs? Mine is coming in at just under 1.5kg (1484 grams, or 3.27 lbs). Apogee's website lists stock weight as 1247 grams.

Mine is built stock, with an AeroPack aluminum motor retainer. I'm fairly confident I didn't go overboard with epoxy (I prefer smaller fin fillets anyways) or paint. I'm using the provided shock cord and parachute, etc. I did add some quick links to the recovery system.

My no-motor CG was measured as 38" from the nosecone tip. Sims show an H100 as marginal, with low velocity-off-rod (38 ft/s) and a "Stage begins to tumble under thrust" warning.

It looks like I'll be going with an H219 or H283 for my first flight (would like to use a DMS for the certification attempt). Thoughts?
An Aeropack and quicklinks probably account for 100+g. H283ST will keep it the lowest of your DMS options. If you are willing to adapt, there are good red and superwhite options in 29mm. Alternatively you could look at CTI motors, which operate pretty similarly to DMS (and you don't have to add a little washer and pour BP with CTI). If you're doing your L1 at NOVAAR, Kenny sells CTI.

Used a CTI H90 cp, 29mm. My rocket was also overbuilt and came out to around 1440 grams. Added some nose weight to correct CG at 36.5 inches. Using the 5:1 ratio for thrust was likely as low as would want to go. Flight was flwless and landed about 150 feet from launch pad. Probably going to use next for a level 2 attempt.

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm looking at the sims carefully and I'm sure I'll settle on something that works well, also taking into account vendor availability. I'm aiming for a certification flight at MDRA's Higgs field, for best piece of mind, and I'll coordinate to ensure Ken will be attending whichever day I go. I'm in no rush.
In the meantime, more data on Zephyr RTF weights and motor selections is always appreciated and helpful!

Got my L1 with a Zephyr last weekend, 11/20/2022. 1st hit was a H100 and backed it up with a I240-DM. Adding an e-bay to it for the next flights and testing out Dual Deploy while building an L2 rocket for a Jan attempt. I beefed up the Zephyr so it can take a beating as I get some air time testing out what works so the L2 is a solid attempt.

Attachments

• IMG_0720.jpeg
    IMG_0720.jpeg
    403 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0714.mov
    43 MB
Got my L1 with a Zephyr last weekend, 11/20/2022. 1st hit was a H100 and backed it up with a I240-DM. Adding an e-bay to it for the next flights and testing out Dual Deploy while building an L2 rocket for a Jan attempt. I beefed up the Zephyr so it can take a beating as I get some air time testing out what works so the L2 is a solid attempt.
Congrats!!!!!

Congratulations 👍🏼

Back