Apogee Components Nike Hercules Plan???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ljwilley

I’m pretty sure it will work…
Reaction score
Apogee components is selling a plan pack for a small Nike Hercules rocket. I just want some info on it. There is no info (that I could find) on this forum or the internet. If you have built it, tell me about it! Pictures, how did it launch how was the build, etc.

Thanks in advance!

San Francisco Shock Overwatch GIF by NRG Esports & SF Shock

Quickdraw 🤣

I think this would be a fun and challenging scratch build to take on. Having a sim file to accompany it would be nice, but it's not available. I emailed Apogee to see if they had one for those who purchased the plan set. I'll update this thread when I get a response. If they don't, I guess I'll build the sim if I get the plans.

Most of apogee's kits have a sim file on their webpage, so I thought it was odd not to see one.

Apogee components is selling a plan pack for a small Nike Hercules rocket. I just want some info on it. There is no info (that I could find) on this forum or the internet. If you have built it, tell me about it! Pictures, how did it launch how was the build, etc.

Thanks in advance!
I have the Apogee plans but haven't made it yet.

Tim's RockSim file may not be accurate.

Attachments

• Apogee scratch__nike_hercules.rkt
    71.2 KB · Views: 0
I will buy the plans along with my next order from apogee. Do not know how soon that will be...

I have the Apogee plans but haven't made it yet.

Tim's RockSim file may not be accurate.

There are two pages for Nike Hercules sims on Rocketreviews, the link I posted looks like it’s just the Hercules missile, while Fattbank’s sim file looks like the sim from the page that includes the booster in the schematic. Interesting that TVM (or someone) uploaded both to RR. Here’s the link to the page with the full missile schematic https://www.rocketreviews.com/--nike-hercules-scratch-7263.html. Interesting that TVM (or someone) uploaded both sim files to RR.

Just as a follow-up, I heard back from Apogee and they said they never created a RockSim file. It's sort of moot since we have discovered some that are close enough. As with my other scratch-builds based on other kits, I'll start with the Sim file and tweak as I go.
I would love to see build threads and I will post mine when I get started.

I built one about 20 years ago. It took quite while and required many trips to Michaels. The first time it flew was one of those events that gets you hooked on rocketry. All 4 booster motors lit in sync and it flew very straight, staged nicely and deployed both chutes. On the second flight one of the booster motors didn't light and it cocked over, staged almost horizontally at a down angle. Broke several fins.

Ignore my previous post. I was confused on the Launch Pad Plan pack. I realized my error and looked it up in my library. When I went to erase the post it was already sent? Oh well, I am on meds which to which I will attribute this snafu. I would recommend the TLP plan pack if you want an intense but satisfying build. I also bought the actual kit when they came out with that and was considerably disappointed.

Ignore my previous post. I was confused on the Launch Pad Plan pack. I realized my error and looked it up in my library. When I went to erase the post it was already sent? Oh well, I am on meds which to which I will attribute this snafu. I would recommend the TLP plan pack if you want an intense but satisfying build
Wow, that build sounds even cooler! Those plan packs are still available on ebay so if I do the apogee build and it goes well, I might try that build!

Years ago I scratch build a Nike Hercules four 13mm engine cluster (did not try to stage it). Flew it a lot till a parachute deployment failure finally did it in. On my long time future projects list is the 1/14th scale builders kit from Boyce Aerospace.

Last edited:
I bought the plans and followed them up to the transition between booster and sustainer. I could not get the card stock connection to work for me. I took matters into my own hands - collect as many photos I could that really showed what that looked like. With a block of balsa I carved something that should work.!since there is a gap between boosters and sustainer, I figured gap staging rules would apply here, I.e. venting exhaust just below sustainer motor nozzle. The ignition gases need somewhere to go (inside the nozzle preferably), so one needs to vacate the trapped air in that passage; venting hole just below the nozzle allows trapped air out, and hot gases passage to inside nozzle, theoretically. It looks great except for the transition - which looks kind of klunky. I am not a sculptor nor a whittler. I have not flown it tho’ I have had it 5 years or so. At the same time, I built, from pictures I found, the Russian Sam 75. Again a gap staged model. The booster is 24mm that transitions to 18mm with an 1/8” gap (using stilts) to keep the stages apart. The hardest part about that build was making the 4 small canards a uniform size, then shaping them aerodynamically, and then lining them up and keeping them straight. I should have made it bigger. It looks cool but there is no room for anything but a streamer. We launch in tall grass. A 2 stage model that is at best 10” long total will get lost - - easy!

Does any of this help?

Yes! Could I see a picture?
Let me see if they will upload. Apogee Nike Hercules - transition by cmccauley. I want you to see my inside the transition and placement of “gap vents.”

Attachments

• IMG_1960.jpeg
    IMG_1960.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1959.jpeg
    IMG_1959.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1958.jpeg
    IMG_1958.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Back