Anyone Spotted The Aurora Borealis Yet Tonight?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopRamen

SA-5
Reaction score
It's still kinda' overcast here in Vermont, but I'm wondering if anyone can see the Northern Lights yet?

Just went out and turned off all the Yard Lights. Took a few minutes for my Eyes to adjust, but it is still overcast, so it is darker than dark out.
There is however a slight Glow to the North, but I think that it is from the Town of Barre, and my wishful thinking.
I'll go back out in an Hour and try again.
Maybe I'll go launch some Bottle Rockets next time I go out so that atleast I get to see something exciting. Maybe fly a Chinese Lantern and try to shoot it down with the Bottle Rockets.

"The northern lights, or Aurora Borealis, was expected to be visible after dark on the East Coast from Maine to as far south as Maryland, and across large parts of Michigan and Iowa.

Forecasters said northwestern states including Idaho and Washington were expected to get the best view of the phenomenon, in which the sky is illuminated with streaks and swirls of green, red, blue and yellow."

I sure hope they're right, I'm in Washington State. We'll see (literally)!

No sign in PDX at this time... Spent better part of 20 minutes after dark to allow my eyes to adjust. Last look was about 10 minutes ago, still nothing.

I gave up at around 11:00pm.
Figures, anytime there is something I want to see in the Sky here it is cloudy. Unless it's a "Super Moon". Stupid "Super Moons" are always on clear Nights here, and each time I'm equally un-impressed by how non-super they are.:mad:

I gave up at around 11:00pm.
Figures, anytime there is something I want to see in the Sky here it is cloudy. Unless it's a "Super Moon". Stupid "Super Moons" are always on clear Nights here, and each time I'm equally un-impressed by how non-super they are.:mad:

Agreed Top! To me it looks like any Harvest moon here in Iowa!
Mike

Launching rockets (or missiles in my case) is so easy a chimp could do it. Read a step, do a step, eat a banana.

Sent from my iPad Air using Rocketry Forum.

Got up at 1:30 a.m. to check, but nothing, other than the bright moon and a sky full stars. Too make matters worse, my dogs never got up, which is unusual in its own way and never joined me outside. (They love to bark into the darkness just to get me mad, because I think they are awakening the neightbors.) Anyway, maybe tonight we will get lucky.

I'm guessing it didn't make it as far south as expected, but here's a picture I stole from a twitter feed from Mount Washington Observatory in NH. I guess you had to be above the clouds. Would have been nice to see:

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_BxX9qdEIAAATiyr.jpg

Was driving at 3am last night and they looked great! Partial clouds and rain but every once in awhile clear skies. Not as good as the winter time though. -20 and belo is the best time to catch them.

Here is a link for the forecast: https://www.gi.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast Read this link text on the first page to get the NOAA link.

Mike

Last edited:
My sister and her family went out to a popular dark star gazing area (Rooster Rock) and saw nothing. They got home at 2am. Me, I went to bed at 12, and woke up again at 2 (shifting 4.5 chords of firewood over 2 days hurts... a lot). Saw nothing outside when I looked.

Back