Anyone have any random nerdy facts?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What if I used Qbits? That would quadruple my information storage capacity?
It's not about storage capacity (it's easy enough to represent a googolplex: 10^10^100), it's that writing it out in base ten requires more digits (10^100) than there are atoms in the observable universe.

It's not about storage capacity (it's easy enough to represent a googolplex: 10^10^100), it's that writing it out in base ten requires more digits (10^100) than there are atoms in the observable universe.
That was the point, if you quadruple the dights you can have if you use Qbits because each state can be thought of as a different atom. (You can a have the entire thing written but not at the same point in time?)

How many atoms does it take to write, not store, a qbit (absolute theoretical minimum)? If you can create a writing system in which each atom represents a written zero, i.e., each atom represents a mark on paper, you still need a googol atoms to write one googolplex, and there aren't a googol atoms in the observable universe. Can you conceive of a writing system in which each atom represents more than one zero? In fact, representing "0000" with one atom wouldn't do it.

If all the mass in the observable universe were made up of 1H atoms, there would still not be enough. By more than a few orders of magnitude. If all the mass of the observable universe were made up electrons, there wouldn't be enough.

What about time? Well, if you had written one "0" every Planck time, for the age of the universe so far, you'd have written fewer than 1061 zeros. So you would need more than 1039 times the age of the universe to finish the job.

Last edited:
If you can put an atom into a googolplex of possible states, you can "write it out" in base googolplex with just two atoms.
😂

(Writing n in base n is always two digits: 10)

How many atoms does it take to write, not store, a qbit (absolute theoretical minimum)? If you can create a writing system in which each atom represents a written zero, i.e., each atom represents a mark on paper, you still need a googol atoms to write one googolplex, and there aren't a googol atoms in the observable universe. Can you conceive of a writing system in which each atom represents more than one zero? In fact, representing "0000" with one atom wouldn't do it.

If all the mass in the observable universe were made up of 1H atoms, there would still not be enough. By more than a few orders of magnitude. If all the mass of the observable universe were made up electrons, there wouldn't be enough.

What about time? Well, if you had written one "0" every Planck time, for the age of the universe so far, you'd have written fewer than 1061 zeros. So you would need more than 1039 times the age of the universe to finish the job.
Maybe if you split all the protons and neutrons into quorks, and added all the electrons you could do it, you can get around time by making your math factory travel at 99.99999999999999% C or something like that.

Ps I love that I was talking about how to write a number! Reads like a Sci fi book.

If you can put an atom into a googolplex of possible states, you can "write it out" in base googolplex with just two atoms.
😂

(Writing n in base n is always two digits: 10)
I don’t think that’s possible, there are 2 states (up and down) with 2 more added by quasi states (probably a up or probably a down). But maybe you could get exponentially more states by considering the interactions of multiple particles. Would a exponential curve be enough to defeat the googolplex?

Maybe if you split all the protons and neutrons into quorks, and added all the electrons you could do it, you can get around time by making your math factory travel at 99.99999999999999% C or something like that.

Ps I love that I was talking about how to write a number! Reads like a Sci fi book.
There you go again.

There are estimated to be 10^78 to 10^82 atoms in the known universe.

Mind telling me how you plan to break down every atom into, at best, 10^18 constituent parts to make up for the shortfall?

Quarks? Three per nucleon. You're trying to make a up deficit of several orders of magnitude, and you're talking about gaining a factor of three? The notion of a googol was conceived to be a representation of mathematical absurdity. It's absurd because it can't be counted using all the particles in the universe (and for other similar reasons). That's the point.

I don’t think that’s possible, there are 2 states (up and down) with 2 more added by quasi states (probably a up or probably a down).
There are many states for an atom; I believe he's talking about electron orbitals, ground state and up. And with elements beyond hydrogen, multiple electrons can be in excited states. There would be dozens, maybe hundreds of conceivable states for the heavier elements. And, he was joking.

There you go again.

There are estimated to be 10^78 to 10^82 atoms in the known universe.

Mind telling me how you plan to break down every atom into, at best, 10^18 constituent parts to make up for the shortfall?
Since the great majority of those atoms are protium, let's just suppose that the average mass number is 2 (almost certainly too high). With three quarks per nucleon, and an electron per proton, and supposing an equal number of protons and neutrons (even though there are probably far more protons than neutrons) that's seven particles (six quarks and an electron) per atom, so it nearly makes up one order of magnitude. So, with the upper estimate that Antares Man stated, and rounding up, we get 1083 particles. So all you need to get to a googol is 100,000,000,000,000,000 (one hundred quadrillion) universes. (Heinlein's multiverse from The Number of the Beast would more than do it.)

Last edited:
I was mostly joking, when I heard cool facts like that my brain instantly tries to make something equally ridiculous, also I hate it when the laws of physics say no.

Ps I still think it’s possible with some sort of super cube with 10^100 different quantum states.

There was an author from St. Louis, Missouri, USA named Winston Churchill. When he and that English fellow both rose to some notoriety, he wrote the politician that one of them should change his public name to avoid confusion, and as he (the author) was the elder of the two, it was incumbent upon the politician to change his. Thenceforth, the politician's signature appeared as Winston S. Churchill.

Googol and googolplex are small numbers.

Fast growing numbers:

Knuth's notation: use up arrows for recursive exponentiation

2^4 = 16
2^^4 = 2^16 = 65536
Etc

Ackerman function:
0, 1, 2, 3, 5, 13, 65533, ...

Graham's number: can't be expressed with Knuth notation. Really really big.

All these are counting infinities, so equivalent to Aleph Null. Which is smaller than Aleph One, the first uncountable infinity.

Of course, John Conway had to invent a notation to outdo Knuth. It uses right arrows. I don't understand it.

The date of Easter is the Sunday after the first full moon after the spring equinox, for historical reasons related to the way that the Jewish passover used to be timed.

The earliest possible Easter is March 22nd, when there is a full moon on a Saturday the day of the equinox, but this will not happen again until 2285.

The latest possible Easter is April 25th, when there is a full moon on a Saturday the day before the equinox, which will be happening next in 2038.

Last edited:
The date of Easter is the Sunday after the first full moon after the spring equinox, for historical reasons related to the way that the Jewish passover used to be timed...
Used to be? When has it not been the 15th of Nisan? The 1st of Nisan is usually the first full moon after (on or after?) the vernal equinox. But to keep the lunar months aligned with the solar year*, a leap month is added in seven of every 19 years. The leap month winds up pushing Passover out an extra month after the equinox.

Thus, without a leap month, Passover begins on the first full moon after the equinox, which makes it very close to Easter. (If that full moon falls in a Thursday then everything lines up just right.) With a leap month, Passover is a lunar month later (which is happening this year).

Used to be? When has it not been the 15th of Nisan? The 1st of Nisan is usually the first full moon after (on or after?) the vernal equinox. But to keep the lunar months aligned with the solar year*, a leap month is added in seven of every 19 years. The leap month winds up pushing Passover out an extra month after the equinox.

Thus, without a leap month, Passover begins on the first full moon after the equinox, which makes it very close to Easter. (If that full moon falls in a Thursday then everything lines up just right.) With a leap month, Passover is a lunar month later (which is happening this year).

So is that why Passover is so far away from Easter this year?
Edit: Oh I see you answered that already , bolded

Antelope: a herd
Ants: a colony or an army
Apes: a shrewdness
Baboons: a troop
Badgers: a cete
Bass: a shoal
Bats: a colony, cloud or cauldron
Bears: a sloth or sleuth; Cubs: a litter
Beavers: a colony
Bees: a swarm
Boar: a sounder
Buffalo: a gang or obstinacy
Camels: a caravan
Caterpillars: an army
Cats: a clowder, glaring, pounce, nuisance or clutter; Kittens: a litter or kindle; Wild cats: a destruction
Cattle: a herd or drove
Cheetahs: a coalition
Chickens: a brood or peep; Chicks: a clutch or chattering
Clams: a bed
Cobras: a quiver
Colts: a rag
Cows: a kine, drove, herd or fold; twelve or more cows are a flink
Coyotes: a band
Cranes: a sedge
Crocodiles: a float or bask
Crows: a murder
Deer: a herd
Dogs: a pack or cowardice; Puppies: a litter
Dolphins: a pod
Donkeys: a drove
Doves: a dule
Ducks: a brace, paddling or team
Eagles: a convocation
Elephants: a herd or parade
Elk: a gang or herd
Emus: a mob
Falcons: a cast
Ferrets: a business or fesnyng
Finches: a charm
Fish: a school, shoal, run, haul or catch
Flamingos: a stand or flamboyance
Flies: a swarm, hatch or business
Foxes: a skulk or leash
Frogs: an army or a colony
Geese: a gaggle or flock, a skein when in flight
Giraffes: a tower
Gnats: a cloud or horde
Goats: a herd, tribe or trip
Goldfinches: a charm
Goldfish: a troubling
Gorillas: a band
Grasshoppers: a cloud
Greyhounds: a leach
Hares: a down or husk
Hawks: a cast or kettle
Hippopotami: a bloat or thunder
Hogs: a drift or parcel
Horses: a team or harras
Hounds: a pack, mute or cry
Hyenas: a cackle
Jaguars: a shadow
Jellyfish: a smack or brood
Kangaroos: a troop or mob
Larks: an ascension or exaltation
Lemurs: a conspiracy
Leopards: a leap
Lice: a flock
Lions: a pride
Locust: a plague or cloud
Magpies: a tiding or tittering
Mallards: a sord
Manatees: an aggregation
Mares: a stud
Martens: a richness
Minnows: a steam
Moles: a labor
Monkeys: a barrel, cartload or troop
Mules: a pack, barren or span
Nightingales: a watch
Otters: a family, romp or raft
Owls: a parliament
Oxen: a team or yoke
Oysters: a bed
Parrots: a pandemonium or company
Partridges: a covey
Peacocks: a muster or ostentation
Penguins: a colony
Pheasants: a nest, nide or bouquet
Pigeons: a flock or flights
Pigs: a drift or drove (younger pigs), or a sounder, litter or team (older pigs)
Ponies: a string
Porcupines: a prickle
Rabbits: a colony or warren
Raccoons: a gaze
Rats: a colony, pack, swarm or mischief
Rattlesnakes: a rhumba
Ravens: an unkindness
Rhinoceroses: a crash
Sharks: a shiver
Sheep: a drove or flock
Skunks: a stench
Snakes: a nest or knot
Sparrows: a host
Squirrels: a dray or scurry
Starlings: a murmuration
Stingrays: a fever
Storks: a mustering
Swans: a bevy or lamentation, a wedge when in flight
Tigers: an ambush or a streak
Toads: a knot or knab
Trout: a hover
Turkeys: a gang, posse or rafter
Turtles: a bale or nest
Vultures: a venue
Wasps: a pledge
Weasels: a colony, gang or pack
Whales: a pod, school or gam
Wolves: a pack or route
Wombats: a wisdom
Woodpeckers: a descent
Zebras: a zeal

Used to be? When has it not been the 15th of Nisan?
The date of Passover was not fixed as the 15th of Nisan until the 4th century, when the Jewish calendar system you describe was implemented. Before then, it moved around much like Easter does according to the whims of the Sanhedrin. After the paschal moon, the Sanhedrin would decide whether it was enough like spring (is it warm and are the plants green?) to hold Passover, and might even delay passover if there were muddy conditions leftover from the rainy season that would make travel difficult.

https://www.chabad.org/holidays/pas...-Equinox-Relate-to-the-Timing-of-Passover.htm

Antelope: a herd
Ants: a colony or an army
Apes: a shrewdness
Baboons: a troop
Badgers: a cete
Bass: a shoal
Bats: a colony, cloud or cauldron
Bears: a sloth or sleuth; Cubs: a litter
Beavers: a colony
Bees: a swarm
Boar: a sounder
Buffalo: a gang or obstinacy
Camels: a caravan
Caterpillars: an army
Cats: a clowder, glaring, pounce, nuisance or clutter; Kittens: a litter or kindle; Wild cats: a destruction
Cattle: a herd or drove
Cheetahs: a coalition
Chickens: a brood or peep; Chicks: a clutch or chattering
Clams: a bed
Cobras: a quiver
Colts: a rag
Cows: a kine, drove, herd or fold; twelve or more cows are a flink
Coyotes: a band
Cranes: a sedge
Crocodiles: a float or bask
Crows: a murder
Deer: a herd
Dogs: a pack or cowardice; Puppies: a litter
Dolphins: a pod
Donkeys: a drove
Doves: a dule
Ducks: a brace, paddling or team
Eagles: a convocation
Elephants: a herd or parade
Elk: a gang or herd
Emus: a mob
Falcons: a cast
Ferrets: a business or fesnyng
Finches: a charm
Fish: a school, shoal, run, haul or catch
Flamingos: a stand or flamboyance
Flies: a swarm, hatch or business
Foxes: a skulk or leash
Frogs: an army or a colony
Geese: a gaggle or flock, a skein when in flight
Giraffes: a tower
Gnats: a cloud or horde
Goats: a herd, tribe or trip
Goldfinches: a charm
Goldfish: a troubling
Gorillas: a band
Grasshoppers: a cloud
Greyhounds: a leach
Hares: a down or husk
Hawks: a cast or kettle
Hippopotami: a bloat or thunder
Hogs: a drift or parcel
Horses: a team or harras
Hounds: a pack, mute or cry
Hyenas: a cackle
Jaguars: a shadow
Jellyfish: a smack or brood
Kangaroos: a troop or mob
Larks: an ascension or exaltation
Lemurs: a conspiracy
Leopards: a leap
Lice: a flock
Lions: a pride
Locust: a plague or cloud
Magpies: a tiding or tittering
Mallards: a sord
Manatees: an aggregation
Mares: a stud
Martens: a richness
Minnows: a steam
Moles: a labor
Monkeys: a barrel, cartload or troop
Mules: a pack, barren or span
Nightingales: a watch
Otters: a family, romp or raft
Owls: a parliament
Oxen: a team or yoke
Oysters: a bed
Parrots: a pandemonium or company
Partridges: a covey
Peacocks: a muster or ostentation
Penguins: a colony
Pheasants: a nest, nide or bouquet
Pigeons: a flock or flights
Pigs: a drift or drove (younger pigs), or a sounder, litter or team (older pigs)
Ponies: a string
Porcupines: a prickle
Rabbits: a colony or warren
Raccoons: a gaze
Rats: a colony, pack, swarm or mischief
Rattlesnakes: a rhumba
Ravens: an unkindness
Rhinoceroses: a crash
Sharks: a shiver
Sheep: a drove or flock
Skunks: a stench
Snakes: a nest or knot
Sparrows: a host
Squirrels: a dray or scurry
Starlings: a murmuration
Stingrays: a fever
Storks: a mustering
Swans: a bevy or lamentation, a wedge when in flight
Tigers: an ambush or a streak
Toads: a knot or knab
Trout: a hover
Turkeys: a gang, posse or rafter
Turtles: a bale or nest
Vultures: a venue
Wasps: a pledge
Weasels: a colony, gang or pack
Whales: a pod, school or gam
Wolves: a pack or route
Wombats: a wisdom
Woodpeckers: a descent
Zebras: a zeal
New: A group of Karens is called a complaint.

(Apologies in advance to anyone named Karen!)

Back