Any RV people on the board?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandy H.

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Thinking about considering possibly starting to research buying an RV. I've rented a generic class C once and will never do that again. It was basically a piece of junk, mold, poorly maintained etc., so it was not a fair experience. I think it was on an E350 chassis.

I have a few friends who have RV trailers, but I'm not sure i want to go the trailer lifestyle, as that would likely severly limit the size of the trailer, as I'm not really in the mood to buy a bigger truck.

My gut feeling is that I'd like to buy a used Class B+ based on a Sprinter chassis, but they are crazy expensive, IMO. My goal would be to make it easier to get from place to place, as my back can only stand about 4-5 hours per day of travel and I'm thinking if I had an RV, I might be able to extend that to 8-10 hours with a couple of hours of down time laying down in the process.

Just debating options, as I'm kind-of tired of feeling limited to 250 miles/day without hurting myself.

Any comments are appreciated.

Sandy.

Be aware that if you consider a new one dealer markups are huge. You will get a far better price on a new one by contacting one of the wholesalers located in the mid west where most RVs are manufactured.

With the priced of most, you can stay in a really nice Hotel/Motel for MANY nights and have a King size bed, all the hot water showers you want, clean laundry, swimming pools, etc. No big gasoline bills, maintenance, insurance, license tags, RV covers to protect it while it spends most of its life sitting in the driveway. Then there's the cost of paying for a spot at a campground/park with hookups .
"The median usage of RVs by current owners is 20 days per year."

Keystone RV Sprinter 326FWBHS

2018 / Fifth Wheel

Add this RV to your list of favorites

Sleeps 6
Offers Delivery
$145
PER NIGHT
View This RV
https://rvshare.com/rvs/details/1640442

Forest River RV Surveyor 266RLDS

2017 / Travel Trailer

Sleeps 5
Offers Delivery
$90
PER NIGHT
View This RV
https://rvshare.com/rvs/details/1585050

Forest River RV Cherokee 274BRB

2022 / Travel Trailer

Instant Book
Sleeps 10
Offers Delivery
$90
PER NIGHT

Just things to consider

Last edited:
With the priced of most, you can stay in a really nice Hotel/Motel for MANY nights and have a King size bed, all the hot water showers you want, clean laundry, swimming pools, etc. No big gasoline bills, maintenance, insurance, license tags, RV covers to protect it while it spends most of its life sitting in the driveway. Then there's the cost of paying for a spot at a campground/park with hookups .
"The median usage of RVs by current owners is 20 days per year."

Keystone RV Sprinter 326FWBHS

2018 / Fifth Wheel

Sleeps 6
Offers Delivery
$145
PER NIGHT
View This RV
https://rvshare.com/rvs/details/1640442

Forest River RV Surveyor 266RLDS

2017 / Travel Trailer

Sleeps 5
Offers Delivery
$90
PER NIGHT
View This RV

Forest River RV Cherokee 274BRB

2022 / Travel Trailer

Instant Book
Sleeps 10
Offers Delivery
$90
PER NIGHT

Just things to consider
On this particular trip, I spent roughly $100/night at gross motels. If it was both me and my wife, it would have been $250/night as I wouldn't subject her to the places I stayed. I literally slept in my cloths each night and put them in a trash bag to be washed once I got home instead of my suitcase.

The big benefit for me would be being able to just pull off and rest for an hour every now and then, I think. I'm heading to Illinois for 10 days in September and I imagine it'll take 3-4 days each way if I do it the same way. That sounds like $2500-4000 depending on how bad the places I'm willing to stay are.

Also would be nice to take the cat with us. Not as easy with hotels/rentals. Not impossible, but limiting for sure.

The Mercedes Sprinter is what I have been looking at. If my wife ends up in a wheel chair that's my first choice. I saw one with two couches that lay down to make beds. It also had a rear bathroom that was bigger than some in RV's I've rented. I like the class A's. Pull over, get something out of the fridge or use the bathroom. Class C's don't give you much room to get out from behind the wheel. Trailers require a BIG truck. But then with a truck trailer set up you don't need to tow a dingy [car] behind the class A RV. We had talked about doing the RV lifestyle years ago. That plan went out the window when my wife was diagnosed with MS. She doesn't do stairs any more. But put a chair lift on the Sprinter and we are set. The one I saw was $235K though. Must be something that works for you and doesn't cost that much. I have seen Sprinters that would be right up your alley.

Edit. My parents had a class A and so did my girlfriends parents back in the '70's. I have rented class A's and C's. Prefer the A's. Have recently thought about going the trailer route. We would just need a short ramp for my wife to get in. Will have to see what the future brings. Dodge and Ford also make similar vehicles to the Sprinter.

Last edited:
On this particular trip, I spent roughly $100/night at gross motels. If it was both me and my wife, it would have been $250/night as I wouldn't subject her to the places I stayed. I literally slept in my cloths each night and put them in a trash bag to be washed once I got home instead of my suitcase.

The big benefit for me would be being able to just pull off and rest for an hour every now and then, I think. I'm heading to Illinois for 10 days in September and I imagine it'll take 3-4 days each way if I do it the same way. That sounds like $2500-4000 depending on how bad the places I'm willing to stay are.

Also would be nice to take the cat with us. Not as easy with hotels/rentals. Not impossible, but limiting for sure.
It's hard to believe that a $100/night motel is that bad, but it seems to be true. Several friends have come to visit the past year and they all say the same thing.

It's hard to believe that a $100/night motel is that bad, but it seems to be true. Several friends have come to visit the past year and they all say the same thing.
I slept in my cloths. That's all I'm saying. . .

In all fairness, when I stayed the last night in Pigeon Forge, the hotel was old, but clean and not a motel. Slept in my boxers that night. . . might be sharing too much. . .

That was the biggest takeaway from this trip. If you're staying in a competitive tourist town, prices will be lower and quality better than staying in towns that are just a stopping point on the way to another place. . . I kinda knew that from previous work trips, but didn't connect the dots. . .

Whether I get an RV, trailer or just re-run the trip later in the year, I'm going to head to tourist trap towns vs. others.

In case anyone is interested, the car I was supporting is 16 out of 19 (I think) wins for starts. Currently leading national points, state points, both track points and rookie points. Sure, the division is a "world's tallest midget" kind of series vs. NASCAR etc., but to excel at the level he and his family are doing on a budget level vs. the bigger money being spent is awesome. I'm glad when I can try to help.

We've done a lot of RVing in our super C motorhome. Super C's are built on truck chassis instead of van chassis. A year ago or so we decided that maybe we'd like to downsize and started looking into the class C's based on the Mercedes Sprinter and Ford Transit chassis. Leisure Travel Vans rose to the top in terms of build quality, but we ran into a deal breaker, at least for us, and that is the cargo carrying capability of these units. After you add up your body weights, gas, propane, etc., there's very little cargo capability left, like on the order of a few hundred pounds (or less).

We've gone to a few large RV shows and checked out other class C manufacturers and they're pretty much all the same since it's a limit of the chassis themselves. If you ask the reps at the shows, they basically dance their way around the issue and the only way to get a real answer is to look at the weight label inside the driver door. This is a well known problem and there's a lot of discussion about it on various RV forums.

So, if you look into class C's, make sure you understand the weight limits and make sure you can work with them. We decided that there's no way that we could stay within those limits and that we would either refurb our current motorhome or upgrade to a newer year of the same model. I forget what the OCCC is on our unit but it's many thousands of pounds, i.e. we don't have to be concerned about it.

Randy

Well, its been a month since the last reply and I have not yet made up my mind. I am actually in the situation where I'm not directly making the decision anymore, my boss is. If I go back to being a remote employee (which I was for the 3 years BEFORE Covid and actually ended up returning to the office DURING Covid. . . what kind of idiot am I. . . ) I'll buy the RV to support some of the trips I'm planning to take. If I don't go back to remote work, I won't stay at the company, so I can't afford an RV!

Anyway, I appreciate the comments above. I agree that weight is something to be factored in on the smaller motor homes. The information is actually not hugely easy to find either. I know the one I'm specifically looking at has a GVWR of 11,050#, but I can't find the vehicle weight, so that's lame. Sure, I can go across scales, but that seems like a strange thing to have to do prior to buying it. I can't believe there isn't just a sticker like every other vehicle I've owned.

So, it should be an interesting week or so until I find out the next step(s).

Any other notes, observations, etc. are appreciated.

Sandy.

My situation is atypical in the RV world, and my own priorities/tastes/lifestyle are also a bit out of line with the norm, but for what it's worth.......

I live full time in an "RV". No other home, storage shed, family's house to crash in, etc. My RV IS my home and it's the one and only.

Mine is a trailer, and a pretty small one by most "RV full timer's" standards. It's a Winnebago 1800BH Micro Minnie. It's called an 18', but it actually measures about 21' from hitch to bumper. It's basic but has everything I need......3-burner stove, decent sized fridge, actual shower, double sink, good sized bed, and I've converted what was a double bunkbed (meant for kid's when camping) to storage so I have a good amount of that. It's got a double axle, extra duty axles, is lifted a bit for ground clearance, a bit of extra insulation, and the underside is enclosed/insulated for the cold months. Build quality is certainly not "high" quality, but honestly it's decent enough and I wouldn't call it junk (though there are a couple of things that could be improved)....I'm satisfied for what it is.

I do NOT need a big heavy duty vehicle to pull it. My tow vehicle is a Ford Ranger, and it has always had plenty of power/torque/oomph for the job.....doesn't dog on hills, is smooth and steady, handles excellent, and I have zero problems with this setup. I DO use a sway/equalizer hitch rig (which works great).

As for weight.....my trailer, FULLY loaded with all my "stuff", full water/propane/etc. tanks, stocked fridge/pantry, and basically everything that I own, comes in at around 5600 pounds. Admittedly I do have some "stuff" in my truck as well, but not all that much. Honestly in total I think I have more than enough "stuff", and I could pretty easily drop a few hundred pounds of excess if I needed to. But my truck is rated to pull up to 7500....I'm almost 2000 pounds under that at my heaviest.
GVWR (TOTAL allowable weight of fully loaded trailer) is 7000 pounds, and of that the CCC (total cargo capacity) is 3300 pounds.....I'm well under those numbers (by like 1400 pounds).

Whenever I'm "in motion" (which is often for many months at a time), I pretty much always "boondock" and have adapted to being basically off-grid the vast majority of the time. I almost never stay in RV parks (which are crazy expensive, usually horrible experiences, not at all "the lifestyle" that appeals to me). A lot of that time I'm in pretty remote places in the mountains, and so I travel quite a bit of rough dirt roads....which is no problem with my setup. I've installed a decent sized solar rig with lithium batteries, and my electrical needs are relatively small, so power is never really a problem. I'm frugal with water, and with a 31 gallon on board tank, and perhaps 2 or 3 five-gallon jugs in my truck I can easily go 2+ weeks without needing a fill up. As far as my black tank goes, if I'm smart/careful (pee in the woods, use public restrooms when possible, dig catholes sometimes, etc.) again going 2+ weeks before needing to dump is generally not a problem. If I'm super careful and play it smart, going much longer than 2 weeks - 3, 4, more - (for water/dump needs) is definitely doable.

At times, such as now, I'm "parked" for a while (a few months while working a regular job). It typically looks like my current setup: I'm parked on a rancher's property and have made some sort of "rent" agreement (which is MUCH cheaper/workable than RV parks or somesuch). There's electric available for me to plug into. I've built a hookup connecting me to a septic line, and I'll donate this to the rancher when I eventually depart. There's no direct water hookup but there's a well house close enough that hauling water and filling my tank (every two weeks or so) is easy to do. This situation works great.

My RV is not a toy, or a play thing. It's not a "camper". It's my home.
Honestly, I don't "get" camping with an RV, especially these monster rigs that so many have these days.......when I camp I go minimal, I don't WANT all that space/complexity/amenities/hassle/expense - I want things to be simple, basic, compact, and easily mobile.
But that's just me.

this is home:
mcmanus parking.jpg

The point of all this is............if your needs in life are relatively "small", you are pretty self sufficient, do NOT have to have things like big expensive toys, don't want/ need a huge (or any) TV or tons of electronic gadgets, etc...... than there is NO need to have a huge (and expensive) RV, NO need to have a big powerful (and expensive) truck, NO reason to stay in (expensive and silly) RV parks, and you can skip and/or ignore a large majority of all the trappings of "RV life" that most folks tell you are must-haves. Now, I'm not saying you have to be an ascetic or a monk.......you can absolutely have things like internet and air conditioning, you can eat well, you can take showers, poop in a toilet, you can do things like build & fly rockets, etc. It's just that you don't NEED "all that" just to live a decent life. And if you pare down a bit from all the "stuff" that most people think they need, doing it all while living in an RV is totally doable without huge expense or hassle.

again, for what that's worth......
s6

Last edited:
I really wanted one of those cool Class B RVs mainly because they are smaller and a little easier to drive. I once borrowed my parent's Class A bus-like RV and driving it was a white-knuckle experience.

In addition to the cost of the Class B RVs, my wife just refused to get anything that small inside. So, I started looking for a smaller Class C (sometimes labeled a B+). But while looking, I came across a good deal on a larger Class C.

2022-09-03-07-21-12~2.jpg

We have been very happy with it and have had only very minor issues that are being fixed under warranty right now.

My wife has back issues, so one nice thing is that the step to get in the back isn't very high off the ground. And the running boards on the cab make it pretty easy to get in the front.

After our first out-of-state trip to a rocket launch, I calculated that even after accounting for the cost of gas, we saved about $175 based on what we would have spent on a hotel room. So, we only have to make 400 more trips and it will have paid for itself!

We did have fun during that first trip ... meeting some interesting people at the KOA where we stayed. And having air conditioning, a kitchen, and restroom at the launch site was nice. Also, extending and retracting the awning is a lot easier than erecting a pop-up canopy.

Driving the Class C is a lot easier, even with our trailer tagging along, than driving rhe bus was. You still have to carefully think about things like getting into and out of gas stations.

Sandy H., you might need to consider if your wife will be able to use the RV even if she doesn't end up in a wheelchair. My wife hasn't had any major issues with ours, but little things like a small step in the middle and having to crawl into the bed have made things a bit difficult for her. Ours has a large bathroom, but some of the Class Bs have tiny ones that might be challenging your wife.

This was our home for 9 days for LDRS. 30' Airstream, full solar and generator, towing with a 1500, 12 mpg. I can boondock as long as my 40 gallons of water lets me.

We travel one full week a year and at least 1 weekend a month. We also use it for volunteer work.

It's a lifestyle choice. Never do the math ($$$$). :)

Attachments

• PXL_20230701_031828322.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230701_031828322.MP.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 0
DanB is right. The math does not work out. You do the RV thing because you want to be able to go where you want to go when you want to go there. If you compare the cost of owning ANY RV to a motel, even a really nice one, the motel is going to win out financially every time.

I have a Tacoma and an itty bitty 10' NoBo trailer, it's basically a tent replacement for use at launches. I got tired of having to set up camp and tear it down, sometimes in nasty winds, and I wanted A/C too. Being able to stay at the launch site overnight and take advantage of the lower morning winds is a big deal for me. It was worth the $15K to me for the trailer (used), but I think I'd draw the line on a $300K Sprinter van conversion (although they ARE really nice...)

Not intending to start an argument, but I'd like to share the reasons we got rid of our 27 foot 5th Wheel.
Used it for LDRS 26 & 29, a ROCStock or two and a Springfest. Also, used it for muzzle-loading rendezvous and some camping.
The preparation work, maintenance, and post-event clean-up eventually had me not looking forward to attending events or camping for the weekend. Living in the Mojave Desert, the tires were only good for 2 years, whether traveled on or not. Wheels needed torquing each trip as well as tire pressure checked. Had to be loaded/unloaded each trip. The septic required finding a "dump station, then dealing with it when tired out from the trip. Depending on the load weight, filling the water tank or searching for water, close to the event.
The worst part was watching the rig slowly deteriorate in the sun. Never had a shelter to protect it and as a "hard-side", I got to watch the fiberglass panels pulling loose from the metal trim.
This stuff may not bother you, but for the little we used it, I didn't find it worth while.
One thing though, using it primarily for launches, we always wished we had bought a "toy-hauler". Lotta fun wrestling a six foot rocket through a little door and steps in the wind.
But like they say... YMMV.

Not intending to start an argument, but I'd like to share the reasons we got rid of our 27 foot 5th Wheel.
Used it for LDRS 26 & 29, a ROCStock or two and a Springfest. Also, used it for muzzle-loading rendezvous and some camping.
The preparation work, maintenance, and post-event clean-up eventually had me not looking forward to attending events or camping for the weekend. Living in the Mojave Desert, the tires were only good for 2 years, whether traveled on or not. Wheels needed torquing each trip as well as tire pressure checked. Had to be loaded/unloaded each trip. The septic required finding a "dump station, then dealing with it when tired out from the trip. Depending on the load weight, filling the water tank or searching for water, close to the event.
The worst part was watching the rig slowly deteriorate in the sun. Never had a shelter to protect it and as a "hard-side", I got to watch the fiberglass panels pulling loose from the metal trim.
This stuff may not bother you, but for the little we used it, I didn't find it worth while.
One thing though, using it primarily for launches, we always wished we had bought a "toy-hauler". Lotta fun wrestling a six foot rocket through a little door and steps in the wind.
But like they say... YMMV.
But you had fun right?! ;)

You are absolutely right about the tasks. On my way to LDRS I camped at the Air Zoo, an Alpacha farm, and the SS Badger. Much better than a Holiday Inn.

Attachments

• PXL_20230703_011450955.jpg
    PXL_20230703_011450955.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
You can always build your own RV:

340102877_949013826122643_8433635771518693435_n.jpg
This rig did us for 5-6 years. It was great having exactly what we want, where we wanted it. Unfortunately it was built completely out of wood, which was the only thing we were comfortable working with at the time, and it decayed over the years. It was replaced with a 5th wheel, which we love, but the whole point of having a camper was also being able to tow a trailer or boat. We are now looking at building a replacement camper with a metal frame.

But you had fun right?! ;)

You are absolutely right about the tasks. On my way to LDRS I camped at the Air Zoo, an Alpacha farm, and the SS Badger. Much better than a Holiday Inn.
No denying we had fun... there is a fun/effort continuum that gets "skewed" with the participant's age.
The other thing is that a lot of RV maintenance requires "specialists"... and they don't come cheap.

Now here's some irony for you... I'm in the process of converting a ten foot service truck bed trailer into a camper. It will use the hoops from the cattle feeder you see in the foreground to provide the supports for a corrugated galvanized steel roof. Air conditioner will be a small window unit, exhausting through one of the trailer cabinet doors.
Since I'm building it, I'll be able to maintain it, and to what degree I can just "let things slide".
Hopefully I'll have it ready for next year's AirFest. I'll be happy if it turns out half as nice as Dugway's (#16).

1689269554734.png

My gut feeling is that I'd like to buy a used Class B+ based on a Sprinter chassis, but they are crazy expensive, IMO. My goal would be to make it easier to get from place to place, as my back can only stand about 4-5 hours per day of travel and I'm thinking if I had an RV, I might be able to extend that to 8-10 hours with a couple of hours of down time laying down in the process.
Just debating options, as I'm kind-of tired of feeling limited to 250 miles/day without hurting myself.
Given health constraints, I would make an extra effort to rent an RV of the type you are considering, to validate the assumption that your back will be able to take driving it as long as you wish it did. You just never know with those things, until you try it.

As to the cost of ownership, as everyone else is saying - it better be a (mostly) financially unconstrained lifestyle choice.

One thing that stuck out in the original post, was the comment: "I'm not really in the mood to buy a bigger truck". That just seems antithetical to wanting to buy a motorhome, which is exactly that – a bigger truck. Maybe the reasons for that statement are independent of buying a bigger vehicle like a motorhome.

Buying an RV is basically buying another house – it has all the same subsystems. And many of them require a fair amount of manual labor and mobility, like emptying the holding tanks. Unless you buy a high end motorhome with automatic leveling and stabilizers, that setup is also a lot of bending over and physical exertion. After having spent a fair amount of time in both a motorhome and a pickup with a travel trailer, neither of them are kind to those of us with back issues. For example, I just had to screw in a loose panel under my travel trailer, and getting down on the ground underneath it was literally a pain. My trailer also has two, 40 pound LP tanks (each over 70 lbs when full), and wrestling with those is no fun, especially in the Texas heat.

OP – just based on my personal experience, I don't think buying a motorhome will help you achieve your goal. Based on your first post, in order to spend 8-10 hours of travel time, you'd need to lay down for a couple hours, which extends your overall travel time to at least 10-12 hours, and likely more. Unless you start driving at first light, you'll end up pulling into your destination late and after dark, which makes a big difference when you are trying to pull into a new campground or parking spot and get everything all set up.

I echo what others have said, try your hand at renting a unit very similar to what you are considering and then try driving your desired schedule. That will tell you pretty quickly if it's a good plan or not. I'm not trying to dissuade you, but only help you make a fully informed decision.

Good luck,

Tony

One thing that stuck out in the original post, was the comment: "I'm not really in the mood to buy a bigger truck". That just seems antithetical to wanting to buy a motorhome, which is exactly that – a bigger truck. Maybe the reasons for that statement are independent of buying a bigger vehicle like a motorhome.

Buying an RV is basically buying another house – it has all the same subsystems. And many of them require a fair amount of manual labor and mobility, like emptying the holding tanks. Unless you buy a high end motorhome with automatic leveling and stabilizers, that setup is also a lot of bending over and physical exertion. After having spent a fair amount of time in both a motorhome and a pickup with a travel trailer, neither of them are kind to those of us with back issues. For example, I just had to screw in a loose panel under my travel trailer, and getting down on the ground underneath it was literally a pain. My trailer also has two, 40 pound LP tanks (each over 70 lbs when full), and wrestling with those is no fun, especially in the Texas heat.

OP – just based on my personal experience, I don't think buying a motorhome will help you achieve your goal. Based on your first post, in order to spend 8-10 hours of travel time, you'd need to lay down for a couple hours, which extends your overall travel time to at least 10-12 hours, and likely more. Unless you start driving at first light, you'll end up pulling into your destination late and after dark, which makes a big difference when you are trying to pull into a new campground or parking spot and get everything all set up.

I echo what others have said, try your hand at renting a unit very similar to what you are considering and then try driving your desired schedule. That will tell you pretty quickly if it's a good plan or not. I'm not trying to dissuade you, but only help you make a fully informed decision.

Good luck,

Tony
I like the nuance you picked up on that I hadn't really thought of in that way. Yes, absolutely a class B would be a bigger truck with a house attached. Good point!

My truck is my daily driver, so going from a 20 mpg truck to a 14 mpg diesel (or similar) would have a daily dollar effect and my wife drives my truck at times and I doubt she'd be comfortable with a larger truck.

My thought was that the motorhome would be task oriented (i.e. specific event trips and occasional vacation trips) and otherwise it would not be used for daily travel, whereas if I got rid of my current truck and bought a bigger one, it would be the de-facto standard daily driver.

I agree with your point and may need to consider the dual implications. It sounds like it will end up being a moot point, however. I'll hopefully find out next week.

Sandy.

I like the nuance you picked up on that I hadn't really thought of in that way. Yes, absolutely a class B would be a bigger truck with a house attached. Good point!

My truck is my daily driver, so going from a 20 mpg truck to a 14 mpg diesel (or similar) would have a daily dollar effect and my wife drives my truck at times and I doubt she'd be comfortable with a larger truck.

My thought was that the motorhome would be task oriented (i.e. specific event trips and occasional vacation trips) and otherwise it would not be used for daily travel, whereas if I got rid of my current truck and bought a bigger one, it would be the de-facto standard daily driver.

I agree with your point and may need to consider the dual implications. It sounds like it will end up being a moot point, however. I'll hopefully find out next week.

Sandy.
A 20mpg truck is going to drop between 1/4 and 1/3 of its MPG pulling a trailer, a modern diesel will not drop that much usually. Chevy offers whats called a MiniMax by people I know (Mini Duramax) it gets over 30 MPG Highway (my manager has one and gets 33mpg). I have a 2004 F250 with the 5.4l Triton it produces 300hp and 365ftlbs torque, by comparison the 3.0l "MiniMax" produces 277hp and 460 ftlbs of torque and gets better than Double the mileage highway and city of my truck. My F250 drops to 9-10 MPG towing and typically runs 13-14mpg Highway. Newer vehicles have much better capabilities than they used to for the same engine size, and they tend to have transmissions with more gears for better economy and towing capability.

I second the rent idea. We rented a class C and an A. My wife couldn't get into the passenger seat of the C and the uneven flooring caused her to fall onto a couch. The class A's steps were very steep for her. So no motorhome for us even though we said we would get one and travel 20 years ago. Thought about a trailer but even those low steps are to much.

A 20mpg truck is going to drop between 1/4 and 1/3 of its MPG pulling a trailer, a modern diesel will not drop that much usually. Chevy offers whats called a MiniMax by people I know (Mini Duramax) it gets over 30 MPG Highway (my manager has one and gets 33mpg). I have a 2004 F250 with the 5.4l Triton it produces 300hp and 365ftlbs torque, by comparison the 3.0l "MiniMax" produces 277hp and 460 ftlbs of torque and gets better than Double the mileage highway and city of my truck. My F250 drops to 9-10 MPG towing and typically runs 13-14mpg Highway. Newer vehicles have much better capabilities than they used to for the same engine size, and they tend to have transmissions with more gears for better economy and towing capability.
You are right on that the newer vehicles are greatly improved. I have a 2021 F250 with the 6.7L diesel. It gets just over 20MPG on the highway when not towing or loaded, and my gauges show I've gotten just over 13MPG on average pulling my trailer (about 8,000lbs.) on just over 14,000 miles. The specs say it produces 475 HP and just over 1,000 ft-lbs. of torque. So it handles towing the trailer over the mountains on the way to Balls with ease. But, a couple years ago I was paying nearly $2/gallon over gasoline prices, which negated the better fuel mileage I was getting, plus I have to add DEF every several thousand miles. And oil changes are more expensive than regular gas vehicles. Lately diesel prices have moderated considerably, but who knows how long that will last?

Eyes wide open and no surprises.

Tony

I have a 19' Pleasureway RV built on a Dodge B3500 chassis. It gets around 13 mpg depending on how fast I'm driving with a 400 mile cruising range.. It has a 5.9L engine that has enough left over to pull my wife's Brenderup horse trailer. It's small and compact, but has a smallish refrigerator, 30+ gallons of fresh water, two burner stove, propane heater, microwave, small shower stall with a toilet, AC, 50W of solar.
I've spent 11 days on the playa in it without running out of the necessities. All in al, it works for me when I'm attending rocket launches. When there are two of us in the rig, it gets a little bit cramped, especially if weather forces you inside. I think that people make the mistake of going too big with their RV, if it's for vacation excursions. I've been looking at the diesel Sprinter van based RVs for the future upgrade, but for now what I have works.

I would highly recommend renting different RVs before purchasing one of your own, it's the best way to see which meets your needs.

Last edited:
Wow, 5 months later, I re-see this thread and will post an update.

I bought a 2014 Renegade Villagio with 32k on the ticker in September and she just turned 38k on the last trip. The specific vehicle/floorplan I got fits a single traveler 100% perfectly without even moving the slide out. If 2 people are in it, might not hurt to move the slide if one of them snores so much that the other can't sleep in the same room. . . :)

My first trip (less than 7 days of having the vehicle in my possession from inspections and service) was 2400 miles over 14 days, with 9 of those days parked at an event. I loved it.

My most recent trip was to meet my brother part of the way to the PRI show, and while he drove most of the miles in his 1 ton truck, I enjoyed the time in the RV.

Is it perfect? No. Is it awesome? Yes. I wish I would have bought a similar size (likely way less expensive) version years ago.

One of the unexpected benefits is that my faith in humanity has been mildly restored, as the various state/national parks I've visited and the people I've met along the way are real awesome people most of the time. I'd say I'm at a 95+% positive on the places I've stayed and the people I've met. Can't say that at the local grocery store or Walmart. The people who seem to stay at state parks (thus far) seem to talk quietly, peacefully walk their dog, wave as they walk by and volunteer to help if they see some form of difficulty. That's how it was when I was young and apparently it still exists.

Thanks for all the suggestions above. I think I got real lucky and am thrilled that I did!

Sandy.

I understand some of the tradeoffs. It seems that if you are willing to use something the size of the Sprinter then you could buy a new trailer of similar size or larger that you could pull with a fairly ordinary vehicle, for a lot less money than a used Sprinter.
(I do a lot of camping/hiking/Jeeping and watch a lot of videos made by people living in Sprinters or full size vans, and my nephew is currently building his own Sprinter van.)

Wow, 5 months later, I re-see this thread and will post an update.

I bought a 2014 Renegade Villagio with 32k on the ticker in September and she just turned 38k on the last trip. The specific vehicle/floorplan I got fits a single traveler 100% perfectly without even moving the slide out. If 2 people are in it, might not hurt to move the slide if one of them snores so much that the other can't sleep in the same room. . . :)

My first trip (less than 7 days of having the vehicle in my possession from inspections and service) was 2400 miles over 14 days, with 9 of those days parked at an event. I loved it.

My most recent trip was to meet my brother part of the way to the PRI show, and while he drove most of the miles in his 1 ton truck, I enjoyed the time in the RV.

Is it perfect? No. Is it awesome? Yes. I wish I would have bought a similar size (likely way less expensive) version years ago.

One of the unexpected benefits is that my faith in humanity has been mildly restored, as the various state/national parks I've visited and the people I've met along the way are real awesome people most of the time. I'd say I'm at a 95+% positive on the places I've stayed and the people I've met. Can't say that at the local grocery store or Walmart. The people who seem to stay at state parks (thus far) seem to talk quietly, peacefully walk their dog, wave as they walk by and volunteer to help if they see some form of difficulty. That's how it was when I was young and apparently it still exists.

Thanks for all the suggestions above. I think I got real lucky and am thrilled that I did!

Sandy.
Thank you to no end for this statement.
I camped extensively as a kid.
I didn't for many years.
Now, extensively again for the last decade.
This is a matter of fact for me.
I always look to make eye contact anywhere and everywhere I am no matter who or how many are around.
Everyone I make eye contact with I acknowledge, wave, say hi, whatever. You are a person too, I see you.
This is far more prevalent when camping, but it should be always, it just makes life more pleasant for all.

RV's.
There are motor home people.
There are trailer people.
Motor home people say- when I pull out of my driveway the weekend / vacation starts. My weekend / vacation is extended by using a motor home.
Trailer people say - when I get settled at the campsite, I'd like to be able to go sightseeing or shopping without breaking down camp.

That said,
I'm a trailer person.

The state parks are the prettiest most beautiful places you can stay consistently everywhere you go.

There IS something to be said about the overall size of the rig.
My wife Sandy and I spend a good amount of time on the road and in our rig.
So we like to be comfortable, our trailer is long.
My tow vehicle also carries the Onebadhawk business, it's a longer truck then a pick up.
The length of the tow vehicle is what makes maneuverability in the combo.
The longer the tow vehicle the less maneuverable.
The overall length of our tow vehicle and trailer makes the state parks a bit tight to get into.
Some can get tight enough to be prohibitive.

What a fun, wonderful conversation.

Thank you all so much.

Teddy

Definitely rent whatever you are thinking of buying. I did that with a trailer that I was thinking of buying... and found out that my Xterra couldn't tow it very well (i.e. up the hill to Vegas past Baker). If I had bought the trailer outright, I would have been hosed.

Thank you to no end for this statement.
I camped extensively as a kid.
I didn't for many years.
Now, extensively again for the last decade.
This is a matter of fact for me.
I always look to make eye contact anywhere and everywhere I am no matter who or how many are around.
Everyone I make eye contact with I acknowledge, wave, say hi, whatever. You are a person too, I see you.
This is far more prevalent when camping, but it should be always, it just makes life more pleasant for all.

RV's.
There are motor home people.
There are trailer people.
Motor home people say- when I pull out of my driveway the weekend / vacation starts. My weekend / vacation is extended by using a motor home.
Trailer people say - when I get settled at the campsite, I'd like to be able to go sightseeing or shopping without breaking down camp.

That said,
I'm a trailer person.

The state parks are the prettiest most beautiful places you can stay consistently everywhere you go.

There IS something to be said about the overall size of the rig.
My wife Sandy and I spend a good amount of time on the road and in our rig.
So we like to be comfortable, our trailer is long.
My tow vehicle also carries the Onebadhawk business, it's a longer truck then a pick up.
The length of the tow vehicle is what makes maneuverability in the combo.
The longer the tow vehicle the less maneuverable.
The overall length of our tow vehicle and trailer makes the state parks a bit tight to get into.
Some can get tight enough to be prohibitive.

What a fun, wonderful conversation.

Thank you all so much.

Teddy

Thus far, I'm a motorhome guy, but have never been in a travel trailer. My current truck would only pull a small-ish travel trailer and honestly I don't overly love towing trailers - I'll do it, but its not something I overly look forward to.

This Sprinter C (marketed as B+) is a nimble little thing. A true class B is really just a van, whereas this B+/C thing is bigger and heavier. Having said that, I can pretty much go anywhere an F150 can go with zero issues (other than height. . . ). Often times when I call state parks to see if there is a spot available, I say I'm only 25' total and can fit basically anywhere - if you've got a tough spot that has a nice view, I'll take it. It is cool how many lower priced spots with great views I've had.

I am also amazed at how quick and responsive the 3L Turbo Diesel is. It took me a bit to realize that you have to stomp on the pedal to get boost to build quickly, but once boost comes up, you get going. I am pulling away from stoplights just like regular cars and merging onto highways with no issue. I would have expected it to be a pig to drive, but it does well and 14-16mpg through the mountains at 70mph isn't too bad.

At this point, I think I really did luck into the best solution for me right now. I was thinking of renting, but after seeing the cost to rent vs. the thought of buying it and taking it on that first trip, I decided to buy it and if I hated it, I'd try to sell it for what I paid minus what a rental would have cost and roll the dice. For me, in this case, it worked well. I agree that the idea of renting has huge merit, though. I think if I ever do try the trailer route, I'd like to rent before buying for sure.

Maybe some of us RV-ers should post a pic or two in the post a pic threads when we score a beautiful place. While I like some of the pics in those threads, I like the ones where the pic was taken by the person posting vs. just a cool picture online. Both have their place, but the ones where I know its you or me taking the pic have a little more humanity to them.

Sandy.

Back