Anxious about wind speed

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Volcanomom

Reaction score
So, we got all the funding for our end of year project to build the Vikings and we're working on them now. Should be done by tomorrow (we have 42 minute classes so it takes a couple of days). I'm stressing out about the wind forecast for the next week. Any work arounds for 15-20 mph winds? It's going to stink if wwe don't get to launch the rockets. :(

So, we got all the funding for our end of year project to build the Vikings and we're working on them now. Should be done by tomorrow (we have 42 minute classes so it takes a couple of days). I'm stressing out about the wind forecast for the next week. Any work arounds for 15-20 mph winds? It's going to stink if wwe don't get to launch the rockets. :(
That's really borderline. If it's on the low side of that you could be OK, if on the high side then I wouldn't launch. As @JimByrne says though, there are definitely times of day that are much better than others. Very often on any given day there will be a time that is calm enough to fly. Whether you'll be able to arrange to get the group together at that time is a question though.

The main workaround for wind is streamers (which the Vikings already have) and small motors for low flights. In this case it would mean the 1/2A6-2. You can have some larger motors on-hand as well for higher flights if you're getting good results with the 1/2As (where good results = straight flights and good recoveries).

And of course: depending on the size of your field, be prepared possibly to lose some rockets. That's just part of the game, although some kids might handle that better than others.

Good luck!

As already mentioned, winds can be highly variable depending on the time of day - generally calmer early in the day before the air starts warming. Also they can be highly variable based on altitude and the terrain - whichever source you’re using for the weather forecast could be showing projected wind speeds that’ll end up being very different from the conditions at your launch site.

One good online resource for checking wind speeds is https://www.windy.com/ which you can adjust by altitude - with Estes Vikings on small motors the wind speed at 500-1000 feet is pretty much irrelevant since you’re only going to hit maybe 200 feet or so on a 1/2A and maybe 400-ish on an A10 so looking at different wind speeds at different altitudes could be useful. And checking the projected speeds over time could be handy for planning your launch windows - I like Accuweather for the hourly forecast but all the usual weather sites/apps have hourly forecasts so use whichever you prefer.

If the winds go completely sideways on you here’s a suggestion that might sound a bit extreme but it’s worth thinking about - switch gears completely and have your students build one of Art Applewhite’s folded paper “saucer-style” rockets (http://www.artapplewhite.com/free/index.html) - you can’t get much cheaper than a package of lightweight card stock and some glue sticks, they build up fast and easy and fly surprisingly well. I’ve used the Cubit design for build and fly sessions successfully several times. Not as mainstream or “rockety” as your Vikings but flying anything is better than flying nothing 😉

Good luck - hopefully you have some clear calm weather and things go well!

As already mentioned, winds can be highly variable depending on the time of day - generally calmer early in the day before the air starts warming. Also they can be highly variable based on altitude and the terrain - whichever source you’re using for the weather forecast could be showing projected wind speeds that’ll end up being very different from the conditions at your launch site.

One good online resource for checking wind speeds is https://www.windy.com/ which you can adjust by altitude - with Estes Vikings on small motors the wind speed at 500-1000 feet is pretty much irrelevant since you’re only going to hit maybe 200 feet or so on a 1/2A and maybe 400-ish on an A10 so looking at different wind speeds at different altitudes could be useful. And checking the projected speeds over time could be handy for planning your launch windows - I like Accuweather for the hourly forecast but all the usual weather sites/apps have hourly forecasts so use whichever you prefer.

If the winds go completely sideways on you here’s a suggestion that might sound a bit extreme but it’s worth thinking about - switch gears completely and have your students build one of Art Applewhite’s folded paper “saucer-style” rockets (http://www.artapplewhite.com/free/index.html) - you can’t get much cheaper than a package of lightweight card stock and some glue sticks, they build up fast and easy and fly surprisingly well. I’ve used the Cubit design for build and fly sessions successfully several times. Not as mainstream or “rockety” as your Vikings but flying anything is better than flying nothing 😉

Good luck - hopefully you have some clear calm weather and things go well!
That website is amazing thank you!! I'm getting much more detailed information and it looks like Monday and Tuesday should be good conditions!

Back