Another rocket from another cottonwood branch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got some more work done late last night. Cut the shoulder on the Fin can after hollowing out more material.
95E8758C-53A1-46DE-A73D-D38936737A38.jpeg
The burn marks on the shoulder are where I test fit the nose cone. I very carefully slid it on while it was spinning, the friction burning the high spots. Trimmed that down and have a bit of a loose fit now, but some tape can fix that.

While I had the nose base on I thought “hey, why not do some shaping?” So I did, and hope I can still shape the inside with out doing damage to the thinner walls.
73D23607-E253-4C3A-8D08-42DB1AC284B9.jpeg
I have discovered the bad spot that I previously found is growing as material is removed. It will defiantly require an epoxy repair.
1693BCC5-A898-4031-BBA8-5347D34E6372.jpeg
The dark part is a great accent but the crack needs some CA and then epoxy.

There is still material on the nose base to be taken off,
BFF57D7C-5CCD-4983-A2C0-7FFE59656AE1.jpeg
And on the boat tail, which means I can safely proceed with carving out the inside.0006333D-A8EE-4D05-A427-EE0790BBC3D9.jpeg

What are you ending up with in regard to wall thickness?
2 to 4mm, I’ll probably chicken out at 4. The inside work is far more awkward than I thought it would be on the boat tail. If I am patient and careful, taking many measurements I might be able to do it.

*The Cottonwood Cruiser has 5mm thick walls but was far easier to work on.

I thought I might look up the weight of this piece in Open Rocket. It assumes 84 grams for the nose cone base at 3mm thickness. It currently weighs 191 grams with plenty of material to remove. I think it may end up weighing less than anticipated, or I can leave the walls a bit thicker for the same weight.

…or Open Rocket is right. We will see.

I thought I might look up the weight of this piece in Open Rocket. It assumes 84 grams for the nose cone base at 3mm thickness. It currently weighs 191 grams with plenty of material to remove. I think it may end up weighing less than anticipated, or I can leave the walls a bit thicker for the same weight.

…or Open Rocket is right. We will see.

Wood has such a wide range when it comes to weight. Take a piece of scrap, measure it and then weigh it. Then compare that to the values plugged into Open Rocket.

I “wood”!! This project has stalled out because the temperature in my garage is in the 90’s during the summer. That and I work much longer hours. I also have a few other non-rocket projects that need to be completed soon. (Pikachu samurai Halloween costume for my son.) With fall around the corner, I’ll be able to get back to it.

I “wood”!! This project has stalled out because the temperature in my garage is in the 90’s during the summer. That and I work much longer hours. I also have a few other non-rocket projects that need to be completed soon. (Pikachu samurai Halloween costume for my son.) With fall around the corner, I’ll be able to get back to it.

Life has a way of getting in the way of hobbies. Thanks for the update. :computer:

Hey all you wooden rocket fans!
It’s been a long time coming, but I have FINALLY circled back around to this project!
(Full disclosure: I needed the four jaw chuck to make my beautiful wife some wooden gauges for her ears.)
Anyway, here we go again!

Even though I haven’t been working on this project, doesn’t mean I haven’t been thinking about it. I have been pondering a few design changes and different ways to do different things. One of those things is to continue the boat tail all the way to the nozzle of the motor.
I couldn’t find my spare chuck to bore out a hole for the nozzle and I prefer not to knock the one out of the drill press. (That’s why I bought a spare!) I popped the boat tail, chuck and all, off the lathe and took it to the drill press. After carefully lining it up, checking and double checking, even using the camera on my phone to peer down to the bottom, I confirmed the spade bit sat in the depression that marked center. I drilled a 3/4” hole as far as the chuck would allow before it got bound up in the piece. That also confirmed it was centered! Yay! A 5/8” hole would have worked too, but may have been too perfect of a fit and I may have needed a dodge factor.
I didn’t take a picture of it in the press, but here it is back on the lathe. Ta da!
IMG_9712.jpeg

I shaped the back end and nervously cut the finished piece off.
Then I remembered, oh yea, I needed to mark where the fins go. Good thing I can just turn it around!IMG_9713.jpeg
I marked the lines using the 1/8 increment indexing points. Then used the finer indexing points to mark the proper width so I could cut a channel to install the fin into. It was then that I discovered that I can not trust myself to scribe a straight line on a curved surface.
I also saw the boat tail had a swell in the middle so I sanded that off along with my questionable lines.

*edited for grammar

Last edited:
I had the best situation for a while--a friend with a lathe. Saved me all the tedious storage, tool sharpening, etc. issues and I got to make a few rocket parts. Sadly, said friend moved away and access to the lathe is no more.

I had the best situation for a while--a friend with a lathe. Saved me all the tedious storage, tool sharpening, etc. issues and I got to make a few rocket parts. Sadly, said friend moved away and access to the lathe is no more.
Is it because you where using the lathe and not helping with the issues? :p

Is it because you where using the lathe and not helping with the issues? :p
No, it was unrelated to that, though that could be a cautionary tale. Divorce (on the friend’s part) and a whole host of other unpleasantness that doesn’t need to clog up this thread.

Is that an old Rockwell wood lathe? From the pics you have shared it sure looks a lot like mine, before someone prior to me did a bunch of upgrades on it, like a PDMC variable speed reversible motor and a different tailstock.

Edit: Same lathe newer model or maybe older...Delta versus Rockwell-Delta, those were from the days when tools were still made in America and made right, most of the bearings should be standard industrial sizes available from any industrial motion and power supply.

Is that an old Rockwell wood lathe? From the pics you have shared it sure looks a lot like mine, before someone prior to me did a bunch of upgrades on it, like a PDMC variable speed reversible motor and a different tailstock.

Edit: Same lathe newer model or maybe older...Delta versus Rockwell-Delta, those were from the days when tools were still made in America and made right, most of the bearings should be standard industrial sizes available from any industrial motion and power supply.
It is indeed an old Delta. Prettty sure it’s from the 70’s. I’d like to have variable speed on it. I’ve thought up plans for building a couple different CVT setups but for now I’ll be content with what I have.
This old lathe goes well with my much older Delta scroll saw!
Photo from my other wooden rocket build.1705794314629.jpeg

I think I have waited long enough to chime in here and say that this is a beautiful design.

I don't know if you were planning to go with this paint job, but if so, a suggestion: the red band around the front rail button looks like a waistband. In combination with the red standoff for the rear rail button, it looks kind of like a thong. I would suggest... well, just doing something a bit different back there.

Of course, this design really calls for a sci-fi paint job of some kind.....
As long as you don’t do a half-a$$ed finishing job will look great.

Latest posts

Back