Another naked bird.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty Dog

Reaction score
Came up with this pile of parts over the weekend.
Hey,whats one more that will need pigmenting.

BT-50 with BT-60 cut on 45* for the rings.

Still playing around with the design.

I like the 2 fins. When ya hold the rocket horizontal, the fins look like a sound wave/sonic boom going over the back.

Snow and wind up these parts today....:mad:

DSCN3476.JPG

DSCN3477.jpg

DSCN3479.JPG

DSCN3480.JPG

DSCN3481.JPG

DSCN3482.JPG

DSCN3483.JPG

DSCN3484.JPG

That is REALLY cool looking! Really like the fin/rings that you put on there! Will be interested to hear how it flies!

Nice.
Gonna be a bear to paint, if you use contrasting colors for different structures!
YUP, most of me scratchers are a bear to pigment...that's why on most,I went with a GRAY :wink: theme. :lol:

Everyone should check out Mr. Dog's web site, if you have not. Quite the artist.

Everyone should check out Mr. Dog's web site, if you have not. Quite the artist.

+1.

I would like to understand the techniques for cutting tubes like that. How do you mark them accurately? I'm going to need to do some 45 degree tube cuts soon and I don't quite get how to do it precisely.

+1.

I would like to understand the techniques for cutting tubes like that. How do you mark them accurately? I'm going to need to do some 45 degree tube cuts soon and I don't quite get how to do it precisely.
I used a Dewalt miter saw to cut the tubes. The tube was filled and finished before cutting. I did not do the fnf, the tube came in a box of rocket parts.
Do not know what the rocketeer used to fnf, ..but its on the hard side, white, and it (fnf) stiffened the tube quite a bit.

Set the saw on 45* , marked the tube and cut 8 rings all the same size (well,close to the same size).
I've used the saw to cut tubes many times. Just go slow and don't use an alligator blade.

You can also use a wrap,,but the saw,,quick and easy.

Scotty,your designs are like no others on this forum.You're simply the best.Enjoyed your "Temple of the Dog"Great looking builds.Wish I had just a little of your talent.:clap:

Scotty,

What size body tubes is this made out of? I'm thinking of a variant, and I like the proportions.

Thanks!

+1.

Neil, Apogee put this out back in 2004. It's a template maker for marking tubes at whatever angle you choose. Granted, Scottys method is much quicker, but not everyone has a miter saw. I use it in Autocad and with great success. But then not everyone has or knows Autocad. It says a simple computer drawing program will work. You'll prolly make a few mistakes at first, I did, but you'll get the hang of it fairly quick.

View attachment Angle Tube Cuts.pdf

Neil, Apogee put this out back in 2004. It's a template maker for marking tubes at whatever angle you choose. Granted, Scottys method is much quicker, but not everyone has a miter saw. I use it in Autocad and with great success. But then not everyone has or knows Autocad. It says a simple computer drawing program will work. You'll prolly make a few mistakes at first, I did, but you'll get the hang of it fairly quick.
My PC wont open this. Gets to the page,wont open?????????????

Thanks Gary, that is exactly what I was looking for.

I'll also experiment with a saw and mitre box.
Heres another template site....has all kinds of stuff ,,,,,https://www.blocklayer.com/Cone-Patterns.aspx

Also..if you look up "Pipefitter templates" there a bunch of sites that are helpful to rocketeers.

Last edited:
Scotty,your designs are like no others on this forum.You're simply the best.Enjoyed your "Temple of the Dog"Great looking builds. Wish I had just a little of your talent.:clap:
WOW, Thanks a bunch..for what its worth, I get a lot of inspiration from the other "Scratchers" and rocketeers on this site. There is a sh!t ton of talent here on TRF.
Me-self, designer/builder...now, ya talk about finish work, and I don't hold a candle to others here.

Wow, great looking rocket
Thank you!

Scotty,

What size body tubes is this made out of? I'm thinking of a variant, and I like the proportions.

Thanks!
BT-50 main. BT-60 rings and I think BT-5 on the tips.
This is kinda a variant/spin-off of me "Profile"

Please,Please post pics of the design you come up with. Ild be very interested.

103_4613.jpg

Scratchers 026.jpg

Scratchers 018.jpg

Scratchers 015.jpg

Scratchers 019.jpg

Last edited:
My PC wont open this. Gets to the page,wont open?????????????

Geez Scotty. It's flippin PDF file. Maybe you need a newer version of Adobe Acrobat, if you even have that. I thought PDF files were as common as peanut butter.

BTW, a few years ago, I found this pic on the internet. It was taken 7 years ago ( according to the pic info ) Looks like something you might have built. I had been considering it myself.

View attachment 287543

Geez Scotty. It's flippin PDF file. Maybe you need a newer version of Adobe Acrobat, if you even have that. I thought PDF files were as common as peanut butter.

BTW, a few years ago, I found this pic on the internet. It was taken 7 years ago ( according to the pic info ) Looks like something you might have built. I had been considering it myself.

View attachment 287543
OH ya that's a beaut. Not mine. Anywhoo..on the flipping PDF...its me PC. Its a cheap HP laptop. The wife bought it for me with a Nano Ipod for down loading music.

This thing (PC) is low grade buddy. I get a little pissed at times using it,but it does the job intended.

So, Im trying to get some of me scratchers pigmented.
Ive been priming and sanding tubes and such all week.
Today I tore this bird apart and primed up the main and other pieces parts. Well..ha ha ,look what happened while it was on the dry rack outside.

Anywhoo---Asked the wife to chime in on colors.
We decided to go with florescent green main and outer rings.
Black inner rings and black fins. And the ring tip tube thingies will be black.
I have also added an "X" 2/3 up the main made out of tube rings cut on 45 sitting on the two 55-50 CRs.
And those will be green and black striped "X" .

Should look cool.

DSCN3656.JPG

Last edited:
Wow I just saw this thread that is one awesome design. That is some real creativity you have going on there. Can't wait to see it painted. Nice work!

Doc Brown

Came up with this pile of parts over the weekend.
Hey,whats one more that will need pigmenting.

BT-50 with BT-60 cut on 45* for the rings.

Still playing around with the design.

I like the 2 fins. When ya hold the rocket horizontal, the fins look like a sound wave/sonic boom going over the back.

Snow and wind up these parts today....:mad:

Dead. Sexy. Bird.

Back