Another Concept Scale Design Study

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JumpJet

Reaction score
I still haven't decided what I am going to do for this years NARAM Concept Scale Model. Either I don't have enough scale information on a subject or in some cases once I redraw it into something that I can make a model from it just doesn't look right once it's put together into a simple 3D model.

Can anyone guess what this thing is part of. To me it looks to long and skinny.

John Boren

j6.JPG

j7.JPG

That's it. It's the smaller shuttle model that sits on top. Using the drawings I have it simply looks WAY to long and skinny. I'm still considering the X-34 and hopefully some drawings will be coming my way soon. I found a OK set of drawings for the X-33 so I'm drawing up the cross sections now to see how this one looks.

John Boren

I still haven't decided what I am going to do for this years NARAM Concept Scale Model. Either I don't have enough scale information on a subject or in some cases once I redraw it into something that I can make a model from it just doesn't look right once it's put together into a simple 3D model.

Can anyone guess what this thing is part of. To me it looks to long and skinny.

John Boren

I'd say just the profile of the nose is wrong--looks good otherwise to me

The big issue is, I need to model the scale data I present for the judges, but if the scale data is wrong the model is wrong and I don't want to own a model that is wrong.

John Boren

My understanding of the rule is, what you show for static display, you fly. Even your launch lugs or rail buttons have to be present if you intend to use them for launch. I believe the only exception you MAY get is the removal or say fake engine nozzles before the launch but you still may get deducted points. Just like on the Estes Saturn V, you display it with the five engine nozzles in place but then remove them for flight. You will need to state that the engine nozzles are for display purposes only in your documentation. I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong about this and they certainly may be right.

So I would say if you are thinking about removing small delicate items from your model before launch, at very least you would get deducted points since they would be considered damaged during flight even though they never did fly.

John Boren

John,
I have looked at the NAR Pink Book since I asked the question here and I saw no mention of removable details before flight. Since this is not provided for in the rules, I would think that extra static display points are not included. Your mention of static points for removable nozzles sounds familiar, but I don't see any mention in the Pink Book. I was thinking in terms of my Walt Disney RM-1 model and putting tank covers, etc., on the tube fins. One could easily add a lot of static display details this way. I will send a question to the NAR and see if they have anything to say.
Bob

You definitely can't take anything off the model before flight, or add anything except recovery gear and motors. Here is the pink book rule, which has not changed significantly for decades -

l6.5 Judging ConditionModels shall be judged for points in flight condition, with the exception that motor(s) and recovery system need not be present. Any clear plastic fins, launching lugs and fittings, and other exterior flight items must be attached to the model during judging. Pop lugs are considered part of the launcher, not of the model. Nothing may be added to the model, or taken off the exterior of the model, between judging and flight, except the motor(s) and recovery system(s). If unusual launching or recovery devices are to be used it should be so noted in the data presented.

Latest posts

Back