Altus Metrum EasyTimer Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexBruccoleri

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All, Does anyone know if the Altus Metrum EasyMini can be mounted in any direction when acting as a simple timer? I am thinking of using it as a back up ejection and I plan to build a housing for it and let it freely float in the deployment compartment. Its orientation would not be controlled. Thanks, Alex

Easy mini does not matter, its baro only.
EasyTimer is an accelerometer and gyroscope only, so yes, they have to be mounted beeper up, and need to be calibrated.

Easy mini does not matter, its baro only.
EasyTimer is an accelerometer and gyroscope only, so yes, they have to be mounted beeper up, and need to be calibrated.
Do you know this from experience? For staging, the direction matters. For a simple ejection, it does not and if a rocket flies off trajectory, the chute should still come out....I was hoping the "trigger" to start the count would sense high gs for a sustained amount of time, (0.5s). I could not find any information on the trigger in the manual.

in the configuration program you can change the orientation to beeper up or beeper down and then calibrate. Granted, i think in the config program it's labelled as "antenna up" and "antenna down".

in the configuration program you can change the orientation to beeper up or beeper down and then calibrate. Granted, i think in the config program it's labelled as "antenna up" and "antenna down".
Is the trigger to start the count something that can be controlled in the software?

Does anyone know if there is an actual operational manual for the EasyTimer and not the "catch-all" document that they put out that is supposed to cover all their products in one document? That document is nearly useless.

Nowhere does it say what the permissives are for the device, if they can be combined in any fashion, or how many logical operators can be strung together. I see that it does tilt and has an accelerometer for launch and burnout detection. Though, does it also integrate for velocity so that you can have a logical AND for tilt AND ignition but then have a permissive that locks out the timer should velocity drop below a threshold?

So like:
Timer from Ignition = 5sec
Tilt Permissive ± 10° (20° included angle)
Velocity Threshold >= 350fps

I almost want to string multiple devices together to perform what all cannot seem to do alone and in an easy to use manner.

Last edited:
Is the trigger to start the count something that can be controlled in the software?
yes, scroll down to 12.6.21 Configure Pyro Channels
https://altusmetrum.org/AltOS/doc/altusmetrum.html#_configure_altimeter
Does anyone know if there is an actual operational manual for the EasyTimer and not the "catch-all" document that they put out that is supposed to cover all their products in one document? That document is nearly useless.

Nowhere does it say what the permissives are for the device, if they can be combined in any fashion, or how many logical operators can be strung together. I see that it does tilt and has an accelerometer for launch and burnout detection. Though, does it also integrate for velocity so that you can have a logical AND for tilt AND ignition but then have a permissive that locks out the timer should velocity drop below a threshold?

So like:

I almost want to string multiple devices together to perform what all cannot seem to do alone and in an easy to use manner.
from my link above for the configure pyro channels

"Select conditions and set the related value; the pyro channel will be activated when all of the conditions are met. Each pyro channel has a separate set of configuration values, so you can use different values for the same condition with different channels."

so you can consider all enabled options for the same channel AND'd together

the manual is confusing because AltosUI is used for all of their altimeters, there isn't a program dedicated to each one. You configure the pyro channels the same for all of them just some have different options. For example, Easy Mini doesn't have tilt lockout, and only Easy/Tele Mega has more than two columns of pyro channel config etc

Do you know this from experience? Yes, this is what I use in my two-stage.
For staging, the direction matters. For a simple ejection, it does not and if a rocket flies off trajectory, the chute should still come out....I was hoping the "trigger" to start the count would sense high gs for a sustained amount of time, (0.5s). I could not find any information on the trigger in the manual.
The time will start on what you tell it to. You can start from ignition or burnout. However you set it up.

So like:

Here are all your optionsdownload (1).png

Here are all your optionsView attachment 546283

So it looks like each of these tick boxes activates what appears to be AND IF TRUE logical operations.

If this is true, then this is great.

The flight state operation is bit confusing. Be nice if their manual actually explained this stuff.

Thanks for those who commented and sorry to hijack but it felt relevant for the OP.

Back