Altimeter functioning outside and back in their g ratings?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Threemorewishes

Reaction score
What happens to altimeters when they exceed their g force ratings? Lets say all the parts stay on the board and the battery stays connected.

Will it shut down?

Will it not fire its charges?

Will it freak out and fire all charges?

Does it just stop recording during the time when the g rating is exceeded and then operate for dual deployment once back in its g rating spec?

Does anyone know?

Thanks.

The Acclerometer most likely it will just top out at the max or min output level until the g forces drop below the rating for the accelerometer. Since most accelerometers are designed to handle a lot more force than they measure, it should still function. The code in the processor on the altimeter will have more to do with how the altimeter handles min or max values.

The altimeter will not know if a flight exceeded the g rating. It will just measure a constant acceleration for a time at the accelerometers max limit and record the data as such.

If you are using an acceleration based apogee detection, then the apogee event will be a little early. It is unlikely with most common rockets and non-monster motors that you will exceed the max g limit for a long enough time for the early apogee event to be severe.

Don't worry about it.

When I flew a N-10,000 the R-das pegged at 67G's [it's rated to 65] at 782ft altitude. The rocket went to 12,800 and deployed just fine.

No ill effects there after either.

I can't speak for the other altimeters, but a Raven's accelerometer will continue to operate, but the measured acceleration will be capped, so the accelerometer-based apogee detection will be inaccurate for that flight. I once flew an I699 in a small 38mm rocket that had a 70G version and a 250G version of the Parrot altimeter, which used the same sensors and logic as the Raven. The two accelerometer measurements were right together for all the flight that was below 80 Gs. The 250G version kept going and recorded a flight maximum of 125Gs. The deployment would have been VERY early if I had accel-based apogee detection. Just use a baro-based apogee detection for a flight like that and it will be fine.

I've pegged my ARTS 1 unit twice; once to 55 g's and the second to 63 G's.
Both flights deployed as usual.

JD

Latest posts

Back