Alternatives to 'Rockets of the World'?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curtis Enlow

Reaction score
Yeah, no, can't imagine spending $150+ for a copy of Rockets of the World. Are there any other reference books that come close for those who have limited budgets? Looking for inspiration for designing & building my own and I am partial to military & sounding rockets, semi-scale most likely.

Yeah, no, can't imagine spending $150+ for a copy of Rockets of the World. Are there any other reference books that come close for those who have limited budgets? Looking for inspiration for designing & building my own and I am partial to military & sounding rockets, semi-scale most likely.

Yes there is, the Total Impulse award winning newsletters of my JMRC club provide ROTW quality scale data in most all the issues. Start from the newer issues and move backwards.

Here is the list of them my year: https://cv41.org/newsletters/

There really is no alternative to ROTW. Short of paying the current market rate the best move is to wait for the inevitable 5th edition of the book, which is currently underway.

One book you may want to look at in the interim is Brian Nicklas' "American Missiles: The Complete Smithsonian Field Guide."

https://www.amazon.com/American-Missiles-Complete-Smithsonian-Field-ebook/dp/B00HESTA0M

See Above, it's not a book but a series of newsletters, and Peter is part of that JMRC club FYI as it now incorporates HUVARS

https://cv41.org/newsletters/

I used the JMRC newsletter for the basis of my Nike Tomahawk. It was nicely done.

I was proto-BAR when I lived in the Jackson area. I didn’t do club flying, but I seem to recall the club would set up displays and demos out at the MI space center.

By the way, one of the many benefits of being an NAR member is the huge amount of scale data and plans available for free.
Scale plans free to NAR members

Also, you may download Peter Alway's The Art of Scale Model Rocketry completely for free.
The Art of Scale Model Rocketry

Also, lots of plans for competition models available free to NAR members here.

Finally, several of the Alway booklets mentioned above for sale at various places are actually free for download for NAR members here.

Bottom line, it's not just the insurance that makes being an NAR member such a great idea!

But then I may be biased, LOL.

Steve Kristal
NAR trustee

By the way, one of the many benefits of being an NAR member is the huge amount of scale data and plans available for free.
Scale plans free to NAR members

Also, you may download Peter Alway's The Art of Scale Model Rocketry completely for free.
The Art of Scale Model Rocketry

Also, lots of plans for competition models available free to NAR members here.

Finally, several of the Alway booklets mentioned above for sale at various places are actually free for download for NAR members here.

Bottom line, it's not just the insurance that makes being an NAR member such a great idea!

But then I may be biased, LOL.

Steve Kristal
NAR trustee

I had that original gold ring spiral bound version of Art Of scale with the blue cover. I think I sold it in 2021 when I was clearing things out; need to see if I have it still

Last edited:
Yeah, $150 for a copy of RotW is crazy. I wouldn't pay that much! I've got four booklets out specifically on military missiles, and ARA Press, eRockets, and ASP all stock them. My supplements have a smattering of other rockets.

Just for fun, here's a drawing I've just finished for a fun obscure sounding rockets (I retain the copyright, and its presence here does not constitute permission for a certain person to repost it, but feel free to print it out to make a model from it!).

Attachments

• Aerobee 75 09.GIF
    Aerobee 75 09.GIF
    106.5 KB · Views: 0
Yeah, $150 for a copy of RotW is crazy. I wouldn't pay that much! I've got four booklets out specifically on military missiles, and ARA Press, eRockets, and ASP all stock them. My supplements have a smattering of other rockets.

Just for fun, here's a drawing I've just finished for a fun obscure sounding rockets (I retain the copyright, and its presence here does not constitute permission for a certain person to repost it, but feel free to print it out to make a model from it!).
The military booklets are a must have reference for scale work. I have them all.

Back