Ahsoka: Discussion and comments *SPOILER ALERT*

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As Lucas was heavily influenced by the films of Akira Kurosawa when writing the initial Star Wars (see "The Hidden Fortress"); finding Japanese-style swordfighting within the Star Wars universe is no surprise. I think I'm only 3 episodes in, but I'm finding this to be a little more competent than the Boba Fett or Obi-Wan adventures. However, having never seen any of the animated series, I'm probably missing all the easter eggs.
When I saw the title of ep. 5, I thought of Kurosawas' Kagemusha.
But the Shadow Warrior in the film is a political double, so no tie in that I can see.

thanks to some of you, i've changed my original position on "new"..

a few of you / your comments make more sense! thanks! :D

Ep. 6
Far, far away.
Can't discuss this without revealing major spoilers.
"Bokken Jedi".
A bokken is a wooden sword used for training, so........
An imitation of the real thing?

Yup a lot to unpack in this one. Very good.
Broken is an interesting choice for Jedi trained out of the Temple system. Interesting choice since Baylin seems to use it negatively, even though that's what he is doing with Shin.

The final lesson was live or die. Ahsoka chose to live.
Beyond the physical light saber battle itself.
The title of the episode is Shadow Warrior.
Ahsoka had been living in the shadows because she was afraid of being suborned to the dark side like her master.
So she had been suppressing her emotions, unlike her normal "snippy" self.
By defeating Anakin she came full circle, and Anakin remarks "There's hope for you yet".
So perhaps now we are going to see a less subdued Ahsoka than in the first four episodes.

I think that’s mostly right, but I’ll add that the live-or-die lesson seems to also be about what it means to choose to live. In her case, it means she needs to choose to fight, as in, fight like a warrior. In one of the clone wars flashbacks where she is saying this is not what she thought being a Jedi was supposed to be, regretting the war, and feeling responsible for the loss of her troops, she asks what if she chooses not to fight, and Anakin tells her, “Then you die“. Choosing to live means choosing to fight, even with the risks, mistakes, and regrets that come with it.

This was a GREAT episode.

I thought that the nickname "Snips" that Anakin called her was because she was a younger of her species and her horns had not fully grown yet or some other reference to her physical attributes being trimmed or diminutive in some fashion and kind of insulting, but apparently it was due to her snippy responses and attitude as a young padawan, as in "she who snips"

Last edited:
Ep, 7
Dreams and madness
Wondering why Ezra declined to use the light saber when it was offered by Sabine?
And why Baylan Skoll stayed out of the fight, not helping his padawan?

Just found this thread.

I’ve been watching with my girlfriend since the premiere and so far we have found it has delivered. The continuance of the Rebels story while also bringing in some intriguing new players and tying it with some less-appreciated projects is a home run for us.

About my only gripe is that, thus far, they seem to have titled it wrong. It seems like the focus is more on the ensemble than Ahsoka herself, but it could also turn out something like The Book of Boba Fett where the interludes and anthology feel of the middle installments better served the conclusion.

So far my ruling is Keep Watching. There is still much to explore.

Oh, I've got a gripe: Sabine is supposed to be a Mandalorian and NOT ONCE has she said "This is the way"
We saw over the course of The Mandalorian that the Children of the Watch were pretty isolated from the rest of the Mandalorians they encountered. Clan Wren and House Viszla may not recognize that particular tradition, perhaps being modernized and more secular.

We saw over the course of The Mandalorian that the Children of the Watch were pretty isolated from the rest of the Mandalorians they encountered. Clan Wren and House Viszla may not recognize that particular tradition, perhaps being modernized and more secular.
Yup, otherwise she would be wearing her helmet in public all the time.

If I remember right Sabine's mother was with Bo Katan in Death Watch and left when Maul gained control, so yes This is the Way would not be something Sabine would say. Also she struggles with her Mandolorian heritage throughout Rebels and feels responsible for the Purge in some ways.

Enjoyed episode 7 a lot to cover in the finale!

Oh boy that was an episode! Lots of Easter Eggs and call backs.

I was looking for Wes Chatham the past few episodes but didn't see him. Turns out he plays Captain Enoch, Thrawns' commander droid of the Night Troopers.

This series is definitely among the best! Every episode is great. And if you are a fan of Rebels, the reunions are so nice.

Ivanna Sakhno, the Ukrainian actress who plays Shin Hahti in Ahsoka, has cancelled her Netflix contract because she refuses to portray a Russian woman.
Gotta admire someone who puts principle over $$$$$.

Back