Ahsoka: Discussion and comments *SPOILER ALERT*

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Three episodes in and I like it.
Rosario Dawson IS Ahsoka Tano.
The series takes place several years after "Rebels" and references several elements in the Rebels plotline, so it would be a good idea to review the "Rebels" story.
Ahsoka's fighting style: Twin lightsabers, one long and one short. Clearly derived from the Nito Ryu (Two Sword Style) in Japanese kenjutsu. Honzashi (long sword) and wakizashi (short sword), one in each hand. In Rebels we see Sabine training with Kanan with a wooden stick. Here we see her training with a bokuto (wooden sword).
Manifestation of the Force: It apparently shows in different ways in different force wielders. Rey could heal people. Ahsoka can "hear" past conversations by standing near where it took place.
The scene where Ahsoka tells Sabine to "start small" cracked me up. I wonder how many kids tried to do that after watching that.
Discovery of something big nearing completion: Overused plotline and so predictable.
With the appearance of the Purrgils I think that Thrawn and maybe Ezra are not far behind.
Had no idea that the actress who plays Morgan Elspeth is the daughter of Danny Inosanto, famous martial artist and good friend of the late Bruce Lee.
Something for everyone here.

I wonder how the writers are going to handle the untimely death of Ray Stevenson (Baylon Skoll).
Ivanna Sakhno (Shin Hati) is creepy, especially her eyes.

We are enjoying it too! 3rd episode planned for tonight!

We went back and watched the final episode of Rebels to know what was going on!! :D now we know what's up! (and the tie in with Ashoka!)

Still debating the choice of Mary Elizabeth Winstead.. love her, but.. something doesn't seem right with her playing this roll..

I've enjoyed it so far, but it just reiterates how much I need to go back and catch up on all the animated Star Wars things I've missed over the years. Rebels in particular, of course. It's weird though - I've liked Rosario Dawson in most everything I've seen her in before, but here she seems a little wooden. Looking forward to seeing the story develop.

Enjoying it so far as well. I think the 3 leads are inhabiting the characters well. Winstead (aka Mrs. Obi Wan) looks to close to Sabine age wise even though the actresses ages line up with the characters ages. But that's Hollywood you have to look 20 to play anyone under 60 if your a woman. Interested to learn more about our bad guys.
We need more Chopper

Musing.
If a lightsaber is an energy weapon then wouldn't lightsaber wounds be instantly cauterized, minimizing blood loss?

Last edited:
Musing.
If a lightsaber is an energy weapon then shouldn't lightsaber wounds be instantly cauterized, minimizing blood loss?
Yes. This is why Luke's arm, Qui-Gon's chest, Darth Maul's rather severe injury, and Anakin's dismemberments in episodes II and III didn't gush blood all over the place.

Yup enjoyed this episode too. I was worried they were going to kill off Huyang. I have a feeling that ep 5 is going to cover a lot of ground. I had really hoped that Zeb would have been in one of those x-wings

Ep. 5: Shadow Warrior

A very deep first part.
Perhaps too deep for some.
We gain some insight into the feelings of the young padawan Ahsoka.
And perhaps one reason why she decided to leave her training, master, and the Jedi Order.
(Though canon states that it was because she was falsely accused of a terrorist act against the Order).
And Ahsoka finds a way to find Sabine.
👍

(Though canon states that it was because she was falsely accused of a terrorist act against the Order).
This is covered in the Clone Wars animated series. It's been a long time since I saw it, but if I remember correctly, no one in the order was on her side except Anakin, and she was deeply hurt by that.

There is much fan speculation that the fall of the Jedi Order was at least in part the will of the Force, as the Jedi had spent too long serving the republic, rather than the Force. This incident is cited as evidence for that, as the Jedi should have been able to sense whether Ahsoka had really done anything wrong, but they didn't even try, instead only trusting in the material world.

Great episode both Dawson and the actress playing young Ashoka have Ashoka's mannerisms down. I burned out on the High Republic books after the first trilogy of books, (may pick the others up later) but the seeds of what @Antares JS says are sown there too. But it's summed up in Anakin's "Obi-Wan training was to keep the peace I need to train you to be a warrior.". Also why Barris fell to the Dark Side and framed Ashoka, she realized what was happening but fell further. They don't have a lot of season left and lots of ground to cover.

Now, while we are really diggin this series, I did hope it would have been a story of her, a new adventure.. Something to further the SW universe in some way; new characters, new planets, new "issues".. it's cool that they've kinda continued on the "Rebels" theme, but I feel there is a stronger development with something new.

just my 2 cents..

Now, while we are really diggin this series, I did hope it would have been a story of her, a new adventure.. Something to further the SW universe in some way; new characters, new planets, new "issues".. it's cool that they've kinda continued on the "Rebels" theme, but I feel there is a stronger development with something new.

just my 2 cents..

To me, it makes sense for it to pick up where Rebels left off, and that was basically promised at the end of Rebels, so they kind of had to. But we do have some new characters in Baylan and Shin, and I think Baylan is a very compelling character. And they are going to an entirely new Galaxy, so that should be interesting.

That said, I know what you mean about wanting new characters and new types of stories in Star Wars. I think that’s why I like the Andor series and the Rogue One movie so much.

Okay, did some reading and things are clearer now.
I was confused by the first part of ep.5.
Where did Ahsoka wake up.?
Ahsoka wakes up in the World between Worlds.
It's the realm where space and time come together.
First introduced in Rebels season 4.
It's how Ezra rescued Ahsoka in a duel she was losing.
Anakin finishes his padawans' training with a final lesson:
Choose to live. On your own terms.
Wow.

Okay, did some reading and things are clearer now.
I was confused by the first part of ep.5.
Where did Ahsoka wake up.?
Ahsoka wakes up in the World between Worlds.
It's the realm where space and time come together.
First introduced in Rebels season 4.
It's how Ezra rescued Ahsoka in a duel she was losing.
Anakin finishes his padawans' training with a final lesson:
Choose to live. On your own terms.
Wow.

Yep. She wakes up in the World Between Worlds. Unfortunately, the Star Wars universe is sort of undergoing a MCUification which makes it hard to understand one story if you haven’t seen and remembered the details of all the other stories. So in this case, you need to have seen parts Rebels and the Clone Wars to fully understand the Ahsoka series. Knowing about the World Between Worlds is one example.

To me, the big mystery of the episode is, what is Anakin doing there in the World Between Worlds? Does he reside there as some kind of “force ghost”? Is he always there, or is it only to teach Ahsoka this lesson? His appearance changes in different scenes so he looks like Anakin from the Clone Wars, Anakin from Revenge of the Sith before he turns, Anakin as he turns, and Darth Vader. What’s that about?

I‘m also not sure I understood his final lessons. It’s more than just “choose to live”. I’m going to have to watch that again.

That said, I know what you mean about wanting new characters and new types of stories in Star Wars. I think that’s why I like the Andor series and the Rogue One movie so much.
If you can find them (I'm not sure if they are in print) I highly recommend the X-wing series by Michael Stackpole and Aaron Allston. It's about ordinary non-force-sensitive X-wing pilots, and one book details the capture of Coruscant by the New Republic. The only characters from the movies are bit characters like Wedge Antilles. If the main characters appear, their appearances are minor. This is old EU though so no longer canon, but they were some of my favorites.

The final lesson was live or die. Ahsoka chose to live.
Beyond the physical light saber battle itself.
The title of the episode is Shadow Warrior.
Ahsoka had been living in the shadows because she was afraid of being suborned to the dark side like her master.
So she had been suppressing her emotions, unlike her normal "snippy" self.
By defeating Anakin she came full circle, and Anakin remarks "There's hope for you yet".
So perhaps now we are going to see a less subdued Ahsoka than in the first four episodes.

Yes Ashoka does have a lot of MCUish back story. I've seen Clone Wars and Rebles enjoyed them both. My wife who's seen bits of Rebles as our son watched it saw she's following along ok and they are explaining what they need to.
As for Anakin I think it could be debatable if it is even Anakin and not a manifestation of the Force. Not sure what is fully canon on Force Ghost but it seems that only light side users get them. Dark side more haunts objects places. Granted World between Worlds rules may be different. But I wouldn't see a redeemed Anakin wanting to flash back and forth to Vader.
As to what she's learned I think it's a deeper choosing life. Finding joy and letting go of mistakes and failures, in the final scene she's much more energetic and hopeful than we've seen her in a while.

Ahsoka's fighting style: Twin lightsabers, one long and one short. Clearly derived from the Nito Ryu (Two Sword Style) in Japanese kenjutsu.
As Lucas was heavily influenced by the films of Akira Kurosawa when writing the initial Star Wars (see "The Hidden Fortress"); finding Japanese-style swordfighting within the Star Wars universe is no surprise. I think I'm only 3 episodes in, but I'm finding this to be a little more competent than the Boba Fett or Obi-Wan adventures. However, having never seen any of the animated series, I'm probably missing all the easter eggs.

Back