AHPRA Black Powder altitude contest

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JStitz

Reaction score
I was just wondering if this contest is still alive with modern techniques.
The Standard when this contest came out was with the 38mm H330 Silver Streak made by Rocketflite...
I know there have been 24mm cartridge chad flyers since then...
Maybe Mark Clark will tell the history of this if he will..:wink:

Last edited:
We did this contest a long time ago, nearly 20 years ago. It was done IIRC for three years at LDRS. The rules were any size and number of blackpowder motors for altitude. The Rocketflight H motors were the prefered ones.The highest alt on the final running was about 10,000', three stages, Rocketflight H motors. I think it was Gary Buck.
To run the event with no source of motors larger than D-E would be a no go for me.
I will have to see if I have any real info (I do not think I do), at the time I did not have a computer and the club did not have a website.

Mark

Last edited:
You are right, it was Gary Buck at LDRS 15. Though I knew the -0- delay Silver Streaks existed, that was the first time I ever saw anybody use one. I recall the altitude was over 9K and less than 10, but I can't remember the exact number. It was quite an interesting flight though.

Mark

You are right, it was Gary Buck at LDRS 15. Though I knew the -0- delay Silver Streaks existed, that was the first time I ever saw anybody use one. I recall the altitude was over 9K and less than 10, but I can't remember the exact number. It was quite an interesting flight though.
The -0 Silver Streaks I had turned out to be -3 or -4. Built a rack rocket with 5 stages
[YOUTUBE]sIEKCBRKyZ4[/YOUTUBE]

The Rocket Flight motors were (mostly) a core burner. The forward part of the grain had to be thick enough to hold pressure so it ended up with a delay even on 0's.

We did the Black Powder Alt for awhile then we did the Bowling Ball loft for 10 years. AHPRA is not currently doing a contest. A few years ago I came up with this, https://www.ahpra.org/motorsvolume.htm , but we have not done anything with it yet. Spending 10 LDRS's in a row at the away cells was enough for a while.
We have had a good time with the contests and have had EXELLENT prizes donated (Thanks again to all who pitched in), one year the BB loft 1st place winner recieved over $2K in stuff!!!

Mark

I think LDRS 16 started the 5000" and 10'000 foot manufactures contest.
Is this still going on?..Why not? it can include flights all launch long.

Hell I think most flyers wouldn't think about a prize...just the high mark.

Edit:..I thought about what the vendors donate for Raffell's and contests and you guys rock.
The vendors are generous and we know it..

Last edited:
I think LDRS 16 started the 5000" and 10'000 foot manufactures contest.
Is this still going on?..Why not? it can include flights all launch long.

snip..

That was not an AHPRA event. Without someone really pushing an event it dies quickly.

HPR flyers do not seem to have a lot of interest in contests, there is a lot of talk but little action. Something simple like a drag race will get some participation as an existing rocket can be used but a specialized event, requiring a rocket only suitable for that event will get few entries. Even the Wildman drag races that had good prizes and promotion did not get a lot of enteries.

Mark

Back