Affordable 1/8" Tubular Kevlar?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruegon

Reaction score
I've been searching for an inexpensive source for 1/8" tubular Kevlar. The lowest price I've located thus far is more expensive than the 1/4" tubular Kevlar I've been purchasing. I know I can use 1/4" Kevlar just as well, but my need is based on weight reduction and ease of use in small diameter rockets.

Does the average rocket builder type guy pay too much for Kevlar? Probably. I feel that I do but I like supporting the rocket supply venders. They have to make a profit.

Oh, I'm getting mine through rocketry vendors, just looking for better vendor options. Can't seem to justify paying more for 1/8" than I do for 1/4".

Last edited:
I picked up some 1/8" tubular kevlar cheap off eBay. Just remember that's really skinny stuff. That makes any force on the body tube more concentrated and likely to cause a zipper. I use it for small (2"-3" nosecone) harnesses and my son uses it for midpower stuff.

Only thing is Fuddrucker doesn't seem to have a regular supply, its cheap when he does and he has good service from what I hear. Right now his Ebay site is only showing 1.75" kevlar. Giant Leap carries 1/8" and iirc Wildman does as well, Apogee does, Top Flight Recovery, erocket.biz has #750 at $8.99/30' about $.30/foot)

I picked up some 1/8" tubular kevlar cheap off eBay. Just remember that's really skinny stuff. That makes any force on the body tube more concentrated and likely to cause a zipper. I use it for small (2"-3" nosecone) harnesses and my son uses it for midpower stuff.

I hot glue a 2" long piece of clear rubber tubing around the Kevlar at the point it his the edge of the tube to help prevent zipping because it's thin.

We've got braided 1/8" for 14 cents per foot. It costs as just as much to get that shipped from China as the larger sizes. We don't make a lot of profit on the Kevlar, but carry it as a convenience to our customers.

We could have went to China for our Kevlar but found a mill in the USA who makes it. They treat well and make a great product.

We've got braided 1/8" for 14 cents per foot. It costs as just as much to get that shipped from China as the larger sizes. We don't make a lot of profit on the Kevlar, but carry it as a convenience to our customers.

Thanks for carrying the Kevlar in the sizes you do and at a reasonable price.

When did you sneak that into your site Teddy?
The 1/8" and lighter material.

The Sunday night before the black week sale.....
They're both a great bang for the buck for everybody that likes low and medium power....
I have a 38 mm minimum D that'll just take a 38 / 1080 case so I'm tight for room in...
I use that 1/8" material in that,,, works great...

Also,,
My site just stacks shipping charges for dissimilar items...
If you place an order on my site don't sweat the shipping charges,,,
I'm constantly refunding the overage on the shipping with an apology....

Teddy

Back