AeroPoxy Source and pumps

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

11bravo

Reaction score
If you use AeroPoxy and are looking for a less expensive source, the least expensive place I found is Wicks Aircraft Supply
The 3/4 gallon resin, PR2032, is $46.52 and the quart hardner, PH3660, is $17.83 for a total of $64.35 for the gallon kit.
$10 or better less than other places I've found.
Shipping came to $11.74, not bad for that big of a package.

Also, talked to a guru at AeroPoxy and he said that using the pump kit from West Systems that dispenses a 3:1 ratio should work just fine with AeroPoxy as long as they screw onto the cans; just in case you were wondering.

Greg

That is great news about the pumps, but Aeropoxy requires a 3:1 ratio, not a 5:1. Do you have any idea who you talked to, because from what I have heard, the West Systems pumps are not compatible. I would think that you would get too much resin this way, which would kill the bonding and strength of the epoxy.

Sorry, not trying to be cynical, but if this is the case, then that would be awesome!

-Chris

The West Systems pump set comes with 3 pumps.
The 1:1 if you will, the 5:1 and a 3:1.
I have just gotten home and they were here when I got here and I just opened them up.
Looking into it now, but....
It appears that the 3:1 pump body will NOT fit the can from Aeropoxy.
Will follow up.

Greg

The 5:1 will fit I beleive, like 99.913% without actually sticking the pump into the can, don't want to make a mess right now if it doesn't work, but looks good to me..
The 3:1 has a smaller thread ring on the pump than the can.
Both can be seen in the attached.
But it makes me wonder....
Why couldn't a guy just punch a hole in that lid big enough for the pum guts to fit into, cut the feeder tube just off the bottom, and epoxy the pump cap to the lid of the can?
It's not like its and intelligent or delicate piece of equipment; what's it know?
Then you have the right ratio.
Anyone see why it wouldn't work?
Seems to look OK to me.

BTW, I talked to Scot Stettler.

Greg

Hrmmm, so the $10.00 pump system from West Marine comes with a 3:1 set also? Very interesting! I thank you for the information and am going to have to look into that! Man that would completely cut the waste and excess usage I tend to have when mixing it to begin with!

Thanks again for your help. I am going to pursue this further. In the mean time, if you don't mind letting me know how it works for ya, I would appreciate it!

Will do.
You know, as long as the tad of Alzheimer's I've been having lately doesn't rear it's ugly head.

Greg

Crappy pic, but-
One the left is the pump for resin that when used with the middle pump yields the 5:1 that West Systems uses.
The pump on the right is for the "Special Hardner" from West Systems that uses a 3:1 ratio by volume, which is that the pumps should give.....
Right?
CRAP!!!
Now I'm second guessing myself!
Bang head on desk!
Bang head on desk!
Bang head on desk!

Uh, I think I'm right.

Greg

The regular is 5, special is 3.

Got to thinking, even if the ratio isn't there, at least a pump would make things a little less messy so not a total loss.

Greg

I ended up using the oddball pump from each set.
One of each from each set in each can.
To dispense I have to do three pumps of resin to one pump of hardner.
The pumps do not fit the threads of the cans so I had to do a bit of cobbeling.
I punched a hole in each can lid and made the holes large enough to go around the little reservoir thingee on the bottom of the pumps.
Then JB Welded the pumps to the lids.
Seems to work well, but maybe a lot of work.
If you have to pumps, I'd say go for it.
If not, well.....
Then it's your call.

Greg

about threads on pumps for aeropoxy, this is almost a year old but I guess Ill resurect it because I didnt see any other threads on this subject... I said this on the compositerockets yahoo group but thought I would share it with the rest of you guys. TAP plastics has many cap sizes for their 1 ounce pump dispensers... I went to their store today and eye balled one for my hardener and one for my resin... just got home and they fit fine. Only catch is that the pump for the hardener is a bit to long for the short container but a quick 1/2" snip off the end did the trick.

Back