Advice on Ejection Charge Holders

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Bond

Reaction score
I am starting to think about my ejection system for my Loc 7.5 R2 Variant of the V2. I will be using an ARTS 2 and a Perfectflite HA45 altimeters.

I originally wanted to use the NoMatch system but I have not figured how to make it work in a V2 type rocket which does not have a payload bay. I made an electronics bay between the tail cone and the forward centering ring. I will drill a hole through the forward centering ring to run the wires for my ejection charges. I am thinking about using one of my new well nuts to easily seal the hold up.

I kinda want to make an ejection charge holder out of small PVC pipe. I want to glue it on top of the forward centering ring. I will use another smaller PVC pipe to hold the powder and fuse which should fit into the holder that was previously glued on top of the forward centering ring. This will allow the ejection force to point towards the nose cone, which is where I want it.

Does anyone have any experience doing this that they wish to share? Is there a better way?

Much obliged as always,

James Bond
Martini, shaken, not stirred

To me, having an "ejection canister" made from any tubular material brings to mind the thought of "rifle barrel". It just doesn't seem to make sense to me to get all the ejection force funneled in any specific direction. You want to pressurize the space, not really launch the nose cone.

I assume there will be a parachute and recovery harness between the nose cone and where the ejection charge is located. Directing the blast and all the related hot, flaming remnants toward a parachute seems like a bad idea to me.

Now I know lots of folks successfully use some sort of canister for their ejections charges. As for me, the corner of a baggie or finger of a latex glove with the BP and e-match tightly wrapped with tape works great. After installing my ejection charge, I either lay it on the bulkhead or tape it to the u-bolt. All done and it works every time.

--Lance.

Lots of folks use PVC pipe caps as a charge holder for their alt bays. The 1/2" and 3/4" sizes are popular around here.

Al

To me, having an "ejection canister" made from any tubular material brings to mind the thought of "rifle barrel". It just doesn't seem to make sense to me to get all the ejection force funneled in any specific direction. You want to pressurize the space, not really launch the nose cone.

I assume there will be a parachute and recovery harness between the nose cone and where the ejection charge is located. Directing the blast and all the related hot, flaming remnants toward a parachute seems like a bad idea to me.

Now I know lots of folks successfully use some sort of canister for their ejections charges. As for me, the corner of a baggie or finger of a latex glove with the BP and e-match tightly wrapped with tape works great. After installing my ejection charge, I either lay it on the bulkhead or tape it to the u-bolt. All done and it works every time.

--Lance.

Anything that contains BP and the ematch (or whatever your using to ignite it) works. I know someone who has used balls of masking tape.

I usualy stop at a convinience store on my way to the launch, the plastic bags they put my junk food in works perfect for "ejection charge holders"

I originally wanted to use the NoMatch system but I have not figured how to make it work in a V2 type rocket which does not have a payload bay. James Bond
Martini, shaken, not stirred

I know this is an old post, but I figured I'll answer this question anyhow since I stumbled across it. To use NoMatch without a payload bay, just enclose NoMatch with only the ejection charge holder sticking out. One easy way of doing this is to use 2 bulk heads and a short piece of matching tubing. Drill a 5/8" hole in the center of one bulkhead. Now, mount NoMatch to that bulkhead, put it inside the tube and close the other end of the tube with the second bulkhead. You will only need a small access hole for the wires going to your altimeter. Now the NoMatch unit can be used like any ematch and just dropped into the parachute bay. Don't forget to secure the NoMatch unit, so it doesn't get ejected with the parachute.

Hope this helped.

Back