• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Advertisement: Cat5 supplies

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben

Reaction score
Hello,

I know this sounds weird but I need some Cat5 cable (any size but 24/2 pair is my preferance) I would also like some RJ-45 jacks. I will take premade cables. All this is going towards my light display next year. About 5000 lights (and counting ;) ) controlled with the computer!!

thanx, Ben

Ask at your school's IT department, or see if you can find a technician working on the network cables there.

Ask if they have any scrap.

I got WAY more than I wanted that way.

EDIT: as for RJ-45 jacks, you can buy a 20 (or so) pack at Office Max/Depot/Walmart/Best Buy.

To crimp them on, you'll need a special tool, which runs about $40 but would be a decent investment if you're making a lot of cables.

Originally posted by BlueNinja
Ask at your school's IT department, or see if you can find a technician working on the network cables there.

Ask if they have any scrap.

I got WAY more than I wanted that way.

EDIT: as for RJ-45 jacks, you can buy a 20 (or so) pack at Office Max/Depot/Walmart/Best Buy.

To crimp them on, you'll need a special tool, which runs about $40 but would be a decent investment if you're making a lot of cables.

ok I didn't even think about that! My dad works for Bank of America I think they are doing some work. Maybe we could get some :) BTW I do have the tool and I got some jacks from Home Depot 25 for 10bux. I was just wondering if anyone had any extra stuff they wantd to part with.

thanx, Ben

Actually if you look at the phone cable that most hardware stores sell now it is CAT5E grade. You can get a hundred feet for $10-$15 bucks. I don't think they sell much regular phone cable now-a-days. Also, for a good connection don't use a plastic crimper. Spend the extra money for an all metal one. They will last longer than the plastic ones also.

Originally posted by falingtrea
Actually if you look at the phone cable that most hardware stores sell now it is CAT5E grade. You can get a hundred feet for $10-$15 bucks. I don't think they sell much regular phone cable now-a-days. Also, for a good connection don't use a plastic crimper. Spend the extra money for an all metal one. They will last longer than the plastic ones also.

not quite ;) got my 100ffet for 28 bux! and yes I h ave a metal crimper. I am mainly looking for wire or even premade wires.

thanx, Ben

I lucked up and bought 500ft. at a Flea market this summer for 5 bux :)

Back