Adding rail buttons

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigone5500

Reaction score
I have built a rocket and have installed 1/4" LL on it. I want to put rail buttons on the rocket too. The tube is 3" LOC tubing. Will the tubing hold up without something on the inside of the tube? I'll be using 1" rail buttons.

I know the LLs are enough but I want to have buttons also...just something I want. :D

ALL of my rockets until this point have rail guides installed directly into the tube without any backing plates with ZERO problems.

This includes small 1-2" rockets through 5.5" 25-30 lbs rockets launching on anything from C to K motors.

Here is how I do it (I'm assuming you've already marked where you want the rail buttons to be).

1.) First drill a hole smaller than the screw (for example, a #8 machine screw has a major diameter of 0.164 inches. For the #8 machine screws, I drill a 7/32 inch hole)

2.) Add a drop or two of CA to the hole and let it dry to harden the cardboard and create a solid anchor.

3.) Screw the machine screw all the way in, being careful not to strip the cardboard.

4.) Remove the screw and add another drop of CA.

5.) Re-install the screw with the rail button. Sometimes I use a dab of
5-minute epoxy in this step to help lock the screw and rail button back in.

All of that said, I'm sure you'll be fine with just the body tube.

my 29mm DW has has railbuttons in the BT with not support. 3" tube. Flown 4 times on G's once on H's and once on F40's Never had an issue.

Ben

ALL of my rockets until this point have rail guides installed directly into the tube without any backing plates with ZERO problems.

This includes small 1-2" rockets through 5.5" 25-30 lbs rockets launching on anything from C to K motors.

Here is how I do it (I'm assuming you've already marked where you want the rail buttons to be).

1.) First drill a hole smaller than the screw (for example, a #8 machine screw has a major diameter of 0.164 inches. For the #8 machine screws, I drill a 7/32 inch hole)

2.) Add a drop or two of CA to the hole and let it dry to harden the cardboard and create a solid anchor.

3.) Screw the machine screw all the way in, being careful not to strip the cardboard.

4.) Remove the screw and add another drop of CA.

5.) Re-install the screw with the rail button. Sometimes I use a dab of
5-minute epoxy in this step to help lock the screw and rail button back in.

All of that said, I'm sure you'll be fine with just the body tube.

ditto, they work great, with the above instruction
or these:https://bsdrocketry.com/downloads/Buttons.pdf

Try it you'll like it, just ask Mikey

Ken Allen sells great Rail Buttons that attach without complication to a rocket without any backing. They are designed so that you drill about a 1/4 inch hole (actually a bit larger) and push in a rubber stopper looking thing. Then you tighten the screw and this draws the rubber stopper up getting wider and wider until it grips the rocket airframe tightly from both sides.

Easy installation and very secure. I have used it on 11.5 lb 4" rocket without problems. Rocket was made from Giant Leap's flexible phenolic tubing without any fiberglass or other reinforcement.

"Ken Allen sells great Rail Buttons"

Is there a website so people can view pictures of these, and purchase?

Bob

1" Rail buttons?? You're not saying the buttons are an inch in diameter are you?
I'm thinking I'm missing something here...
The 'normal' sized rail buttons, like BSD/Just Rockets sells are perfect for what you have. I haven't used the PML guides, but they look pretty good.
Only issue I see with the PML, or any 'long' guide is that they need to be ABSOLUTELY perfectly aligned, or they'll bind up on the rail... the buttons can be off a bit and not cause problems.

Ron

..... I haven't used the PML guides, but they look pretty good. Only issue I see with the PML, or any 'long' guide is that they need to be ABSOLUTELY perfectly aligned, or they'll bind up on the rail... the buttons can be off a bit and not cause problems.

Ron

I would agree with that. I'm going to try them on my L1 rocket. I figure I'll use a carpenters square or similar straight edge to make sure the stay aligned. Wish me luck.

I would agree with that. I'm going to try them on my L1 rocket. I figure I'll use a carpenters square or similar straight edge to make sure the stay aligned. Wish me luck.

Put an angle iron on the side of the tube to draw your lines - it'll be aligned perfectly up and down the tube.

I agree with the others' advice here - no need for backing.

I have railbuttons on my tallboy without backing and they have worked great with the thin tubes they're in.

Back