Rail button (does it need to be above CM)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SailBag

Reaction score
New to rocketry, first time designing a rocket with rail buttons. Apogee's tutorial said to put the top button above the CM. My CM falls right on a transition piece, and I would need a standoff to make it above the CM. Physics wise, I don't see the reason why it needs to be above the CM, in fact keeping them lower keeps both on the rail longer while it picks up speed off the rail. I want to put them near the bottom and about 13 in from the bottom on a 27 in rocket, CM is about 14 in from the bottom.

Does the button need to be above the CM? Why?

New to rocketry, first time designing a rocket with rail buttons. Apogee's tutorial said to put the top button above the CM. My CM falls right on a transition piece, and I would need a standoff to make it above the CM. Physics wise, I don't see the reason why it needs to be above the CM, in fact keeping them lower keeps both on the rail longer while it picks up speed off the rail. I want to put them near the bottom and about 13 in from the bottom on a 27 in rocket, CM is about 14 in from the bottom.

Does the button need to be above the CM? Why?
There's CG(Center of Gravity), and CP(Center of Pressure. What's CM? Bottom will called "Aft", top or nose is referred to as "forward". Use a pencil to mark these, the first habit to get into. Is when you open the box, before anything. Sand down all the tubes, inside and out.

Apogee has videos on this too(CG/CP), you need to understand what both are, 100%. To be safe and successful.

Either way, you'll want your rail buttons or launch lugs spaced out equally from the CG(Center of Gravity), when the rocket is done. I will build the rockets, then before finally assembly install or glue the backing plates in permanently. Being mindful of the rail button placement(to avoid assembly issues). I usually wait until right before final aft CR(Centering Ring)assembly to glue the aft one in permanently. You can drill the holes as soon as you find your CG before assembly, or right before primer. But I prefer to do them first. Center of Pressure comes into play during flight, I can't explain all of this out. Check youtube.

You have 1010(usually size #8 machine screws)rail buttons, which a little lesser known fact is they can support up to 75 lbs. Some also work on 1515(usually #10 screws) rails. I myself, sometimes will use both 1/4" lugs and 1010 rail buttons. Or, 1010 and or 1515 buttons(So you don't have to wait to use a rail launch days, or need a longer rail, my L2 is 91" long). It really depends on the build, motor being used, fly weight, flying conditions that day, thrust to weight ratio, etc...You can also use some of the 1515 hardware with some of the 1010 buttons, depending on whose you are using. So you could have one set of well nuts, or two 1515 well nuts, 2-#10 machine screws and use 2 of the 1010 "buttons", and switch them out if you need too. I also use a small amount of LocTite on the threads.

I usually just add 1010 to one side, and now 1515 to the other. 1010 rail extrusion is 1.0" x 1.0". Most High or even Low power clubs(I'd call the club or check the site for equally info)have one 1010 rail)will have several 8 ft -1010 rails, and or 10 or 12 ft 1515(it depends on the club)rails, then a Unistrut Tower maybe, or at least one 1010 rail you'll have to find out. Most clubs have one, or guys build there own to take.

The 1515, is 1.5" x 1.5". That rail is obviously thicker, and will be longer for bigger, heavier rockets. Keep in mind the minimum pad distance(L1/L2/L3) to the flight line. Or If you have a heavier rocket with a lower thrust to weight ratio a longer rail is what you want, or the RSO may tell you no-go. You'll be very disappointed when you realize you spent months on a build or design that isn't stable or too heavy for the motor you have.

I'm pretty old school as well(not braging different techniques were used), I can usually look at it or hold it, and tell you if it will fly or not. You see a cool design, an RSO sees a weapon capable of Mach One with it stopping when it wants to, or when it has too its. Either way, if its unsafe or unstable, you wont even make it to the pad. So do your homework, and you'll be fine.

There's many online calculators from Thrustcurve.org to a black powder calculator for DD(dual deployment). The whole point of a rail or rod and its length. Is to keep the rocket going straight when it exits the rail at a fast enough speed that it will stabilize and continue to fly straight up. That being at a certain velocity leaving the rail to prevent "weather cocking". That's when your rocket isn't going fast enough on its on yet to properly use the fin area for stability. Download OpenRocket, and watch a YouTube tutorial on it. Thats another great spot for resources. Stay away from certain Facebook pages and advice, trust me on that.

Many companies sell rail buttons, I use rail-buttons.com. I still have some good(full kits they sold, R-B.com is great too!) 1010 Doghouse Rocketry rail buttons I got 10 plus years ago too, but they are running out. Some rail buttons will be a machine screw and nylon parts, other companies may include well nuts too. They are sold in 1 pc or 3 pc from R-B.com. You'll also want backing plates, I usually use a piece a half inch to 3 quarters of an inc squared. Then a 5/16"(depending on the button)hole for the well nuts in the plate. The machine screw holes in the airframe I use a bit just bigger than the machine screw threads, it usually a 1/8" drill but. There's many threads about rail buttons, as even above some are listed. One thing guys do, is during assembly of the motor tube and centering rings. They permanently put the rail buttons in first, not realizing they should have done the buttons after that.

Thin CA is great for tacking parts together, Google it. Hobby Lobby sells it too, again BSI is top notch. Thin is basically water, about only good for "tacking" or inside the upper airframe to prevent zippering from a kevlar shock cord. You can make or buy "zipper stoppers" too. CA usually comes in Thin, Medium, and Thick. Have you heard the saying: "measure twice, cut once?".

Well with rocketry for me, you'll measure about 10 times, hold the knife on it, then do that about 50 more times until you decide to finally score or cut it, 😆. That happens to all of us. Making templates, using a paper towel, or aluminum foil rolls to practice techniques of high power building on spare or junk stuff first can really help you later. Then start using high power build techniques, and adhesives for low and mid power builds. Take your time, if you have any doubts just stop. Its also very easy to mess up, but guess what? Its even easier to fix it, when you start to look ahead and prepare. You'll have many failures but your success comes from learning from those, learn and adapt.

Now what glue do you use?!?! I use Titebond II for general assembly, Titebond Quick& Thick for fillets, slightly watered down Elmer's carpenters glue for all couplers one side at a time until they dry. Then a mix of 5 min and 30 min epoxy from Hobbylinc or BSI(Bob Smith Industries) from Hobby Link in person. Elmer's and BSI I get at Hobby Lobby, Titebond from Walmart, etc..5 min epoxy I'll use for couplers, everything else I use 30 min epoxy.With glues or epoxy you'll chose when and where you use them, even plain old JB Weld can be used with fiberglass or plastic model rocket components for outer fin fillets. That can survive Mach flights, its been done recently too go check out Rocket Vlogs on YouTube by Braden C.

It depends on what material you are using, that will decide what you need. It makes no sense to use epoxy with cardboard and plywood when the material you are using isn't even as strong as the bond you made. But, you can decide for yourself. I like using epoxy for cardboard couplers if necessary, you'll see why, and also for coating parts or the inside airframe itself from ejection blasts and carbon residue.

That should be some info to get you started, the forum is full of posts like this, even if you Google exactly what you are looking for, something will be in the search results regarding the forum Id almost bet on it. Take some time and look through the different topics, you can also be a supporter if you wish. I will asap, as I've been a member of this site since 2012, for me personally its time to give some back. Anyways, read, ask, read, go observe in person, read, and read some more. I'm not sure how far you want to go, plan ahead. Preparation is the key for this hobby. Its a very large world once you step into it, welcome to the rabbit hole my friend. You won't be disappointed.

I am really a fan of this book below too, even though its for high power it will educate you more than enough for low or "mid" power builds. Theres also books on low power Rocketry or in general. Think, ask, be safe, execute, repeat. Be mindful, for many guys saftey is number one. It should be, anyone thats doing something stupid to jeopardize the hobby, should be called out respectfully and appropriately. Especially if it's high power. You'll also have the best luck joining a club, but first either NAR or TRA, or both of you want, if you haven't already. Most clubs are not super expensive with memberships and you'll learn more in one day then you will in 10 years reading online. CG, is center of gravity, CP is center of pressure. Remember them?

One last thing, if you don't know your CG/CP for the rail button install( which as mentioned above, they should be equally spaced out from the CG, or Center of Gravity). The rule for me, is one inch up from the aft airframe forward, and one inch above the top CR. That's if I'm unsure of exactly where the CG will be. You can also use more than 2 rail buttons, if you need too. Once your centering rings are thick enough, you can even drill into them for the buttons. That's a little ways out yet, I'd highly again. Suggest this book, it will answer all of your questions. He uses OpenRocket too in for 2 builds from L1 to L3. It's a high power book, but it has everything you'll need as your going forward. Just my opinions and suggestions..

Have fun, be safe.

Michael B.

Apologies for any grammar errors, ill fix them shortly.

Attachments

• 20230626_223309.jpg
    20230626_223309.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
My entire other life is based on forces, eccentricities, things like that. If you have 2 elements providing stability then the farther apart they are the smaller the force is that each one has to apply. Apply this to the standard Estes rocket- it might come with a 2" or 3" launch lug. As the rocket wants to twist ad deviate from the straight line of the launch rod the rod pushes one way on the front of the lug and the other way on the back of the rod. This adds friction. These days I will cut the single lug in half and position the 2 pieces farther apart on the body so the force on each lug is smaller.

There are discussions regarding putting the 2 pieces of launch lug, or for this discussion the 2 buttons, straddling the CG of the rocket. This changes the forces on each button. I'm not sure that it is significantly different if the 2 buttons are lower on the rocket as long as they are far enough apart. If the pair of buttons is farther down the body they will stabilize the rocket for a longer distance, i.e. make the rail effectively longer. I'm not sure what the effect is of the CG being in front of the buttons. If the buttons are far enough apart I think it still works.

Now a good question could be how far apart should the buttons be? Well consider that small rockets up to maybe 24" length might have a 2" or 3" lug, the front of the lug representing the same as one button and the rear of the lug representing the other button. Like I said I put my lug pieces farther apart and would do the same with buttons. If I build a 30" rocket and put the lug pieces 6" apart then that is 20% of the total length so I would use that as a rule of thumb. I typically put one as close as I can to the back end of the rocket, and put the other up somewhat close to the CG but I don't stress if it is a bit behind the CG.

I was curious as to the article given it mentioned placing a button above the cg and I hadn't heard of that before, so I dug a bit and found it:
https://www.apogeerockets.com/Peak-of-Flight/Newsletter489Screenshot_20231230_080248_Chrome~2.jpg
It's a long article, but it didn't explain why this was suggested.

It's generally a head scratcher since you do have "opposing forces" at work imho.

- The farther apart the buttons, the less time both are are the rail and less time used stabilizing.

- The closer the buttons are to each other, the more there is "play" for the rocket to move side to side, which can allow more deviation from straight off the rail.

-The higher up the rear button, again the less both buttons are making use of the full rail length.

Given how the issues above don't seem too noticeable unless you really go extreme, it seems fine to place them around where others suggest and not look at each suggestion as a hard rule.

Personally, (when placement allows) I like to put the rear button at the rear CR/at the end and the forward button 1 caliber (or slighty more) ahead of the CP.

This would be around where the CG should be for flight and provides an easy way to check for instability - simply lift it by that button and the nose should be level or sink lower (this also tests the strength of the button attachment before you launch).

When Blacksky was in business they made a couple polycarbonate body tube rockets with metal fin cans. I built the smaller one, the Optimal 38, which had a 38 mm MMT.
This was a 4 inch diameter rocket and the fin can occupied the bottom 8-10 inches of the rocket. My two rail buttons were screwed into holes at the top and bottom of the fin, so maybe only 7 inches apart and way below center of mass. The rocket never had any problems launching straight from the rail. It certainly wasn’t theoretically ideal, but it worked just fine.

I wish there was some science as to why people put rail buttons centered on CG.

with one button almost on the bottom, the other just above the top motor tube centering ring the science is to keep 2 rail buttons engaged as long as possible. Once one rail button disengages, the rail no longer provides guidance. Therefore, the lower the better to give the longest guidance length. When you sim a rocket on a pad, you should use the effective length, not the length of the rail. unused length (below the bottom button) and any length on the top when the top button disengages needs to be subtracted, as this length does not provide guidance.

theory to practice:
my wildthang extreme. It's a standard 4 inch fiberglass rocket. 100.339 inches long
Loaded with a AMW K1000 skidmark, the CG is 66.587 inches.
the lowest reasonable location is 2 inches from the bottom of the rocket, or 98.338 inches from the tip (1 inch for the brad point nuts i use)

my method, top button is 24 inches from the bottom of the rocket.
effective loss on bottom: 2 inches
effective loss from top: 24 inches
effective loss of guidance: 26 inches
standard 8 foot rail guidance length 70 inches

centered buttons:
buttons on bottom is 31.752 inches below cg. upper button would have to be at 34.835 inches from nose cone tip....
the nose cone is 20.339 inches long, so the top button would have to be 14.496 below the nose cone on the payload tube, which is 24 inches long
that won't work!
so let's play. the fin can is 54" long. the cg is 33.752 inches from the end of the fin can. The coupler is 12 inches with a 2 inch switch band. That means we have 54-5 inches or 49 inches of body tube to play with without interfering with the coupler. t keep math the easiest, let's put a rail button 12 inches from each side of the cg, or
top button: 35.752 inches from end of the fin can
bottom button: 21.752 inches from the end of the fin can
effective loss on the bottom: 21.752 inches
effective loss from the top: 35.752 inches
effective loss guidance: 57.504 inches
Standard 8 foot guidance length: 38.496 inches.

so my science says my method has 70 inches of guidance, centered buttons are 38.496 inches. 54.99% of the guidance suggested by my method.

ok so show me where i'm wrong. because I just might be all wet. I've made mistakes in the past and will make more in the future :> promise!

with one button almost on the bottom, the other just above the top motor tube centering ring the science is to keep 2 rail buttons engaged as long as possible. Once one rail button disengages, the rail no longer provides guidance. Therefore, the lower the better to give the longest guidance length. When you sim a rocket on a pad, you should use the effective length, not the length of the rail. unused length (below the bottom button) and any length on the top when the top button disengages needs to be subtracted, as this length does not provide guidance.

theory to practice:
my wildthang extreme. It's a standard 4 inch fiberglass rocket. 100.339 inches long
Loaded with a AMW K1000 skidmark, the CG is 66.587 inches.
the lowest reasonable location is 2 inches from the bottom of the rocket, or 98.338 inches from the tip (1 inch for the brad point nuts i use)

my method, top button is 24 inches from the bottom of the rocket.
effective loss on bottom: 2 inches
effective loss from top: 24 inches
effective loss of guidance: 26 inches
standard 8 foot rail guidance length 70 inches

centered buttons:
buttons on bottom is 31.752 inches below cg. upper button would have to be at 34.835 inches from nose cone tip....
the nose cone is 20.339 inches long, so the top button would have to be 14.496 below the nose cone on the payload tube, which is 24 inches long
that won't work!
so let's play. the fin can is 54" long. the cg is 33.752 inches from the end of the fin can. The coupler is 12 inches with a 2 inch switch band. That means we have 54-5 inches or 49 inches of body tube to play with without interfering with the coupler. t keep math the easiest, let's put a rail button 12 inches from each side of the cg, or
top button: 35.752 inches from end of the fin can
bottom button: 21.752 inches from the end of the fin can
effective loss on the bottom: 21.752 inches
effective loss from the top: 35.752 inches
effective loss guidance: 57.504 inches
Standard 8 foot guidance length: 38.496 inches.

so my science says my method has 70 inches of guidance, centered buttons are 38.496 inches. 54.99% of the guidance suggested by my method.

ok so show me where i'm wrong. because I just might be all wet. I've made mistakes in the past and will make more in the future :> promise!
Thinking Think GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

Actually I agree with what you've noted for that example and my L2 HP rockets have the forward button about 9"-14" ahead of the bottom button; however OP is "new to rocketry" and asking in a Midpower forum.

Given it's midpower and Tim mentioned ahead of CG (which is still weird to me... wondering if that was actually a typo Edit: I found other experts mentioning this and perhaps Tim was referring more to LP & MP), I felt it would be fine to mention the things I did.

For midpower on the rail, top placement may only change by a few inches between most recommended locations and usually you'll have plenty of rail left.

I'll add that if you're new and uncertain, take a look at where other similar midpower kits have the buttons or lugs (ex. Aerotech line... Initiator to Mirage) and place it around the same location.

I did read an article where the placement was scientifically researched, but it was too heavy on details and formulae for me and I didn't really get a sense of any hard recommendations.
(Edit add for article link.)

Last edited:
Interesting website. I couldn't identify the application of rail button location on these forces. He seems to just calculate the maximum rotational forces. I wish i knew where he found the data for pitch force.

I do build my mid power the same way i build high power.....

I'll add that for the tall hp rockets I've had the buttons close together (ex. ~6' Exocet with buttons 8.5" apart - I think at CRs), it just felt a bit "too close" and it seemed that levering effect was putting a lot of sideways pressure on the top button, especially when the nose is weighted. (Maybe I'll move them higher or add a third button for those.)

Wind can then also bind it up on the rail more (someone noted seeing multiple cases of Estes Mean Machines stay on the rail when windy).

If there is anything forcing or allowing the rocket to move laterally, the rail will be trying to force the rocket back to straight. The inertia of the rocket is acting at the CG of the rocket. If this is between the buttons then the force on the front button will be at most equal to the inertia of the rocket. As the buttons move farther away from the CG then the forces on the buttons increase. This is basic engineering statics. As forces increase then friction also increases. As buttons get closer together the rotation of the rocket due to any clearance between rail and button can increase but I don't think this is significant.

So discussion of rail button position is comparing forces on the buttons with length of rail where the buttons will be active.

ok so my buttons are 22 inches apart. 2 inches less the the cg method if one arbitrarily selects 12 inches from either side of the cg. if you use 11, then bingo, the same.
My buttons are delrin so not so much a problem for friction, and the rocket is fiberglass so not gonna tear apart. T
he K1000 causes the rocket to clear a 8 foot rail in 0.189 seconds, so I'd question how much force was really exerted on a very solid object.

so the question is if there's a significant difference between the two models as far as force: the total amount of force is probably extremely small, within the variance of the motor and at best a minuscule amount compared to the total amount of thrust of the motor.

So we're back to the effective rail length in my book.

if i make rocksim rail length 70 inches, the rocket leaves the rail in 0.163 seconds, at 50.9152 mph
at 57.504 inches, the rocket leaves the rail in 0.148 seconds, at 46.4172 mph.
and that's with a "punchy" motor. a lower average thrust motor will yield a greater change in speed. If you're close to 3:1 that may be a problem....

I'll add that for the tall hp rockets I've had the buttons close together (ex. ~6' Exocet with buttons 8.5" apart - I think at CRs), it just felt a bit "too close" and it seemed that levering effect was putting a lot of sideways pressure on the top button, especially when the nose is weighted. (Maybe I'll move them higher or add a third button for those.)

Wind can then also bind it up on the rail more (someone noted seeing multiple cases of Estes Mean Machines stay on the rail when windy).
For my extreme L : D (length to diameter)rockets, I CAREFULLY add a 3rd button WAY forward. This button is only to support the front end of the rocket on the rail while waiting to launch. It keeps the normal "front button" from too much load from wind, or while loading and raising the rail from horizontal to vertical. The "extra" button is not to give any real support during launch, just up untill that point.

The NORMAL buttons are as far aft as possible, with them usually at the Front and Rear Centering Rings of the motor mount assembly. (Strong location)

Last edited:
so the question is if there's a significant difference between the two models as far as force: the total amount of force is probably extremely small, within the variance of the motor and at best a minuscule amount compared to the total amount of thrust of the motor.

So we're back to the effective rail length in my book.
Then why not put the 2 buttons 4" apart at the back end of the rocket? This is an extreme case but identify why this is a bad idea and that might give clues as to how the buttons should be positioned.

I put one just forward of the aft centering ring. The second goes below either the AV Bay. Or below the coupler if it's a mid break. If its a short rocket that is NC eject I put the second button below the NC. I use Apogee rail buttons with T nuts.

Then why not put the 2 buttons 4" apart at the back end of the rocket? This is an extreme case but identify why this is a bad idea and that might give clues as to how the buttons should be positioned.
mechanically, my method is just easy. clearly we all agree you need some separation, so I don't know what you're driving at. In the posted example the buttons are 22 inches apart. The discussion is where to put the buttons.

Teepot's design is a extreme example of giving up rail length, which is what i've been harping on. If he likes punchy motors, no problem but the less punchy motors, which require longer lengths to get to a stable speed, that could be a problem

Same rocket, Loki K250. Rocksim states it reaches stable speed at 50.3652 inches That would work for my rail button placement (70 inches of effective rail length) but fail for CG centered buttons (38.496 inches of effective rail button length). I won't even bother the exercise of calculating teepot's because it would just be worse.

this example clearly demonstrates lower rail buttons are more safe -- something to think about.

Because 2 buttons that close may not support the rocket due to diameter, weight or wind conditions. That is why a lot of my larger or weird stuff get 3 buttons.

railbuttons.com state that 1010 will support 35-45 pounds, 1515 on "rockets weighting more then 100 pounds" There is no specification on diameter.
If you have so much wind you're pulling properly installed rail buttons out you probably shouldn't be flying because you're violating the safety code.

again, do what you want but don't think that it's needed. If more makes you happy, go for it! that just makes it more safe. Just understand that this is not supported by science, don't try to make it a requirement.

Latest posts

Back