A question about rocket engineer...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yichen.li

Reaction score
i am trying to make a rocket, what is the name of components that hold the engine?
And how should i make it? use what materiel? :confused:

i dont have a lathe, so i could not make a wooden one .:blush:

There are many ways to mount the motor into the rocket. The method you use depends on several factors, including (but not limited to) what kind of rocket you are making, how large the rocket is, and what your preferences are. If you provide additional details about your rocket, I can be more helpful.

im not that good at English, please forgive me if the words above is not polite.

You have not been impolite. However, I still need to know more information about your rocket to help you. For example, what will the diameter of the motor be? Also, what will the diameter of the rocket's airframe be? How powerful are the engines you plan to use?

Hi! Happy you are here for knowledge. If you take time to look around all your questions can be answered. If you speak Mandarin, maybe I can get my son to come over and help translate. Rockets are a fun hobby and there is some learning about the basics. I would send you over to Apogee Components and their excellent website that condenses and puts very simply what maybe hard to find here (but it IS here) There are also lots of video presentations to help by showing you components like engine mounts and how our hobby rockets are made. Come back to The Rocketry Forum if you get confused or we can answer your questions once you've looked over what Apogee offers. Be aware some vendors do not ship overseas and some items are restricted, but mostly what you will need are the basics and you should look in the Vendors thread to see who is advertising what you will need. I recommend a small Estes kit first to get familiar with the basic construction of a safe rocket. All the stability and recovery work has been done for you and the pictures usually need no translation. Hope this isn't too long or hard to translate, but you are on your way! Again. Welcome to the site and I'm sure my esteemed fellow rocketeers will be more than helpful in your future endeavours. Straight smoke and good chutes, my friend! -Dave-

The motor is usually held by a motor mount tube.

Estes / quest use 13mm, 18mm, 24mm.
Aerotech / CTI 24mm, 29mm, 38mm, and 54mm.

These motor mount tubes are centered inside the rocket body tube with centering rings. These are cardboard or plywood rings that get glued inside the airframe and the motor mount is glued inside the rings.

Sample:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motor-Moun...323?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519670de53

This is for an 18mm motor inside a 24mm body tube. There is a metal hook (engine hook) for motor retention and a smaller ring to keep the motot for going too far forward (engine block).

Last edited:
You have not been impolite. However, I still need to know more information about your rocket to help you. For example, what will the diameter of the motor be? Also, what will the diameter of the rocket's airframe be? How powerful are the engines you plan to use?
the engine is D12 7cm length, total pulse is 20N-sec , maximum lift Wt is 283g, maximum thrust is 32.9N, thrust duration is 1.6s, initial weight is 43.1g.

D12s are 24mm motors. Find a 24mm kit that fits the diameter of the body tube.

Hi! Happy you are here for knowledge. If you take time to look around all your questions can be answered. If you speak Mandarin, maybe I can get my son to come over and help translate. Rockets are a fun hobby and there is some learning about the basics. I would send you over to Apogee Components and their excellent website that condenses and puts very simply what maybe hard to find here (but it IS here) There are also lots of video presentations to help by showing you components like engine mounts and how our hobby rockets are made. Come back to The Rocketry Forum if you get confused or we can answer your questions once you've looked over what Apogee offers. Be aware some vendors do not ship overseas and some items are restricted, but mostly what you will need are the basics and you should look in the Vendors thread to see who is advertising what you will need. I recommend a small Estes kit first to get familiar with the basic construction of a safe rocket. All the stability and recovery work has been done for you and the pictures usually need no translation. Hope this isn't too long or hard to translate, but you are on your way! Again. Welcome to the site and I'm sure my esteemed fellow rocketeers will be more than helpful in your future endeavours. Straight smoke and good chutes, my friend! -Dave-
that's cool, thx, and my E-mail address is [email protected]
actually, i have already made several rockets, but this-time i'm trying to make a handmade one. -yichen-

thanks, man i may see that later, the school internet will not allow video to get through.

Back