A puppy (The TRF dog thread)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hokushika, our fourth Akita and third rescue.

Well, he looks like an Akita, but it turns out he's half Akita, half cat, half Martian, half trickster coyote, and half polar bear. I know that's a lot of halves, but he's not constrained by things like "logic", "physics", or "the spacetime continuum," so it actually adds up.

He's basically bombproof (he won't even get out of the way for a shop vac), but also basically untrainable, so I can't really take him to a launch — instead of enjoying rockets I'd have to spend all my time keeping him from sticking his nose in every body tube he could find!
We've had two Akitas over the years Loved them both. The only trouble we ever had with them (though there are LOTS of stories) is that Akitas cannot be trained to NOT kill birds. They can be fine with cats, kids, even rodents, but not birds. They are bred as Japanese hunting dogs (for bears) but have some deep seated issue with birds. Ours got into our neighbors turkeys once. Our neighbor was nice about it, but it cost me a couple hundred bucks.

I’ll add a “dog-gone” post. :angel:

Seeing Hobie’s picture reminded me of the dog I had growing up. “Teddy” lived to 15 (when I was 19). Here’s a photo when he was about 12. (I had a darkroom and did the developing and printing). He was mostly terrier with some hound, we were told. He was fast enough to catch squirrels!

7887B781-4F30-40E7-B61C-63C2E68144A1.jpeg

They can be fine with cats, kids, even rodents, but not birds.
Interesting. Our other three always wanted to chase squirrels and bunnies rather than birds. Hoku is the opposite, he chases birds and mostly ignores the small ground critters. We figure it's because "you are what you eat" and he wants to be able to fly 😂

Large game is something else entirely — the bear and elk hunting instinct runs deep. Even our dopiest, clumsiest dog ever* transformed into a Wild Kingdom panther in the presence of deer.

*Dude would literally get distracted and walk straight into a stop sign during walkies. BWONG!

Interesting. Our other three always wanted to chase squirrels and bunnies rather than birds. Hoku is the opposite, he chases birds and mostly ignores the small ground critters. We figure it's because "you are what you eat" and he wants to be able to fly 😂

Large game is something else entirely — the bear and elk hunting instinct runs deep. Even our dopiest, clumsiest dog ever* transformed into a Wild Kingdom panther in the presence of deer.

*Dude would literally get distracted and walk straight into a stop sign during walkies. BWONG!
A friend has a German shorthaired pointer. The bird hunting instinct was so hardwired that my friend couldn't take the dog on walks on the waterfront or she'd spend all day trying to sneak up on the seagulls.

The night we brought him home
v9tV4x5.jpg

A young handsome boy:
fFMHthm.jpg

My favorite dog ever was a Husky/German shepherd mix. Incredibly smart, sweet, fairly timid with strangers. About 70 lb, shades of grey with long legs and big feet. When out walking her, people would cross the street to avoid having to be on the same sidewalk as the "wolf."

Thanks. I had a book called, " The Complete Labrador Retriever Book" and it had only 4 color pages in the middle. One of the dogs pictured a Lab that was the dual Mexican and North American Champion, that was Hobie's Grandfather.
Lucy 1696490365704.jpeg

Was a RINO= Retriever In Name Only

You threw the ball once, she’d get it.

Throw again, and it’s “Hey, if you don’t want it I don’t either.”

She was 95 in dog years, was still my puppy and one of my best friends.

Last edited:
Lucy

Was a RINO= Retriever In Name Only

You threw the ball once, she’d get it.

Throw again, and it’s “Hey, if you don’t want it I don’t either.”

She was 95 in dog years, was still my puppy and one of my best friends.
Cute dog.
In my experience, Labrador retrievers are the worlds worst ball retrievers ... ever.
Sticks - maybe.
Food - definitely. Any time, any place.
Balls - furgorgetaboutit.

Last edited:
Just when we had decided to take a break from looking for a dog to join our family, Buddy came into our life!
Exactly how we got our current hooligan. When he's gone 😢, hopefully we'll have learned our lesson and actually stick to our decision to be dogless for a few years this time.

Exactly how we got our current hooligan. When he's gone 😢, hopefully we'll have learned our lesson and actually stick to our decision to be dogless for a few years this time.
I'm sure that, with sufficient resolve and determination, you could do it? But why put yourself through that? And why deny a worthy, homeless, doggo a second chance?

I'm sure that, with sufficient resolve and determination, you could do it? But why put yourself through that? And why deny a worthy, homeless, doggo a second chance?
We love this dog, but he's gotten himself kicked out of two different boarding kennels. He's large (125 lbs), powerful (shattered the buckles on his harness by launching himself on an 18" tether), and an extraordinary escape artist. We want to be able to travel overseas, but we can't count on either a kennel or a dog sitter to keep him safe.

None of that was the case with our previous Akitas, and it probably won't be the case with our next. But the lesson we learned is that you just never know. So we'll take a few years to travel and enjoy some freedom before we take a chance on another one.

(BTW, we're all about giving homeless doggos a second chance. All of ours except the first have been rescues, and we've done a lot of volunteer work for Akita Rescue.)

Puts fear into you just looking at me. I will protect you till the end, do NOT mess with me:
ukt2nj2.jpg
My family had one dog during the time I grew up there (I was the last kid, so a few dogs before that. She was an airdale and a great dog across the board.

I decided if I was ever going to get a dog(s) I wanted Dobermans, without cut ears and the stuff you most often see. I wanted a ton of land they could run on and a dog door to the shop they could go in whenever they wanted. I was brought up with a 'no inside dog' family and that stuck, but I'm all about shop dogs and where should I be every waking minute - in the shop.

But not as much land, no shop, all the side issues with an 'aggressive' dog breed (not able to tell the insurance company the pit bull my brother had wasn't a liability, apparently) and I am now a happy cat person.

If a situation ever comes up that meets my general goals, I'd like a fair size dog, like that beautiful Doberman or a Weimeriner or two, but looks like that concept is fading from a real goal to an impractical dream.

Still good to see dogs at launches and see some of these pictures of these beautiful animals for sure.

Puts fear into you just looking at me. I will protect you till the end, do NOT mess with me:
ukt2nj2.jpg
When we moved here in 2005, our neighbors had one that looked just about like that. The told us to come fish in their pond anytime we want, no need to ask. So we went over one afternoon just to walk around and look. Nobody was home.

We pulled up to the gate leading to the pond and got out to open it up... and there's Roxy in that stance. We never visited and she didn't know us. She walked straight to me, slowly, staying tall and stiff and never changing her expression, until she was right next to me... And then leaned her head right against my stomach. Phew! Much head rubbing ensued.

Back