A new BAR with questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ouly

Reaction score
Hello everyone! This is my first post and I would like to say 'Hi' to all members. I guess you could say I'm a BAR. I built several small kits in my youth and even a few scratch built (with both good and bad results). My interest in rockets has recently been rekindled and I've spent the last couple of weeks doing research on the web. My interest lies in designing and building my own models and I have a design in mind that I would like to try as a small rocket first and make a larger 1 if the small 1 is successful.
Trouble is, I'm not sure if the design is viable or not. I want to build a twin SRB with a high thrust, short duration engine in each booster and a D3 in the sustainer. To keep things simple and the weight down for the first model, I want to ignite all 3 engines on the pad. All 3 parts will also have their own chutes. If I make sure that the booster engines generate more thrust at ALL times than the sustainer, will this design work?
I also forsee 2 problems with this design. First, the boosters will have to be supported on the pad to remain in place and I think I can do this safely to unsure a gust of wind at the wrong time doesn't cause a disaster. Second, and more important, all 3 engines MUST light. To ensure this, I was planning to add a backup flash-pan to ignite any motor that doesn't light with its own igniter. Will this work and has anyone ever tried something like this?
Lastly, and this question is aimed at any RSO's out there, if I brought this bird to your club launch, would you let it fly? I would hate to make the larger version of this design only to have an RSO tell me to fly a kite instead.
Any and all comments and suggestions would be welcome. I'm not a member of any club at the moment mainly because none exists where I live. (Halifax, NS, Can.)

Welcome back! Since you do not have a club nearby, you should be able to fly anything experimental that you desire! Seriously, though, maybe you could post an ad in local hobby shop to see if anyone else is into rockets.

Strongly recommend you join NAR to get insurance, and you get Sport Rocketry magazine, too, which is a pretty decent mag, IMHO. Plus, it's a worhty organization to support, and further our hobby.

You didn't mention RockSim in your post so I will assume you don't know about it. Most of the members use this to check designs before they are built and flown.

Get it here: RockSim

Hi Ouly! And "Welcome Back", you've entered the company of the best Forum on the planet.
Milo has performed another exemplary service once again. The RockSim software is just the ticket.
Please keep the rest of us advised of your progress.

Latest posts

Back