a good driving simulator

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taiwanluthiers

Reaction score
Ok, I need to take the driving test at the DMV, but I don't have a car, so yesterday I practiced on a friend's car. Needless to say I sucked and he said I'm not ready. He also said he'd let me practice once a week or so but I need more than that. Given the number of driving games out there is there actually something that I can practice street driving on (not just flooring it all the time)?

There's several different simulators, but unless you're going to spring for pedals and a steering wheel, there's little value to it. If you still want, there's a number of games you can look up on google.

Do not know about driving simulations that help you practice to drive for real.

But I do highly recommend you search for videos youtube that have tips about preparing to take your driving test. One below is an example, and it does not even involve the car being in motion. I mean, wouldn't it be silly to fail the test before you even started, because you do not know how to use the emergency brake?

[video=youtube;xqC_t_cAF74]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqC_t_cAF74[/video]

There are various others with practical tips for actual driving, that a simulator would not help you with unless it was specifically programmed to help with such tips.

And no cheap simulation is going to be as good as actual practice driving.....though a simulation could be useful too but not as much as real wheel time.

Also, when you are about ready, if you know or can locate someone who took a driver's test in the last few months or so, see if they can recall the route taken for the driving exam, so you could practice the course. And to know what sort of things you'll get tested on, such as a "quick stop" where you stop quickly but not come to a tire-screeching halt. How to back up, looking behind you. How to do a 3-point turn. Or how to parallel park (I didn't have to do that, but many places still test for it).

I know in many places there is an actual "closed course", but when I took mine it was on city streets. A friend knew the course so I practiced it. Although I practiced sloppy.... drove near the middle of a wide unoccupied back street with no middle lane lines on it... and failed the first try for not keeping to the far right (My friend who was with me in the practice runs down the middle of that road never thought anything of it).

The sort of scary thing to me (not for my test but life in general) was that the driving test was all on back roads/streets with little traffic. Well, good for the safety of the general public, for bad drivers taking the test. But that also guaranteed that anyone who passed the test had not proven they COULD drive safely on a busy street or fast highway.

- George Gassaway

I have never seen anywhere in the US where tests are done in a closed course... but then with 50 states practices may vary. I do know in Taiwan they test in a closed course, and as a result most people drive poorly there... Problem is I don't have a car and are not close enough to anyone to where they'll let me practice on their's. I only got some time to practice with my roommate but he can't do it all the time. Knowledge tests are easy simply because it's a lot of common sense.

One major problem I have is the brakes on a car is too damned sensitive. On a bike I usually press the handle pretty hard to be able to stop but in a car (at least the car I practiced on) when I lightly tap the brake the car does not slow down much, but once I apply a little more pressure it's like the amount of braking power vs the amount of pressure increases exponentially. So I'm having trouble finding the right place so either the car doesn't slow down enough (which can be dangerous) or the car comes to a screeching halt. I wish there's a way to adjust that... As far as the steering wheel goes, I'm not having much trouble with that (other than having to get used to different sensitivities compared to a bike/motorcycle) but also the place I practiced in has very faint lane marking, so it was VERY difficult to see it. I was constantly driving on the wrong side of the "road" (it was actually a parking lot with an empty building in the middle where firefighters would learn how to put out fires)

I took my driver's test in eastern PA in the early 90's. I don't know what it's like now, but at the time it was a closed course that only existed at certain State Police stations. Even better, the officers who conducted the driving tests apparently got assigned the testing duty as punishment for doing something wrong (detention for state police officers), so they were always a cheery bunch. :p I flunked the first time (and the officer didn't say everything I did wrong, but I know I got dinged for "palming" the wheel, because I had my hands at 9 & 3 as they required but the steering wheel's support members were there so I couldn't fully wrap my fingers around the wheel. But the officer said had I moved my hands up to clear the support they would have been closer to 10 & 2 so he would have dinged me for that instead, so basically I got punished for the vehicle I brought to the test), I learned after the fact that they tended to flunk everybody the first time just to humble kids. It was actually my second time waiting to be tested, the first time I was the next vehicle in line when they decided to call it a day that day (after spending about 3 hours at the station to take the exam [passed that easily] and then waiting in line for the road test). The next time I went to a different police station (the next closest, over an hour away) where the road testing was supposedly more fair, and passed there. Though I was close, both times I had to back up on the course I moved my right arm towards the passenger's headrest which was a habit I learned from my dad (the previous officer made no remark on that), the first time this officer just said don't do that and I didn't make the connection, the second time he said I should only do that when a pretty girl is in the passenger seat, and that time it clicked so my right hand quickly went back to the wheel. :) The very end of the test was to pull up against a curb (passenger side) in front of the station to park (not quite parallel parking, that was earlier in the test), my tires were less than an inch from the curb and had I hit I guess I would have failed (again at the time he just said something like "be careful, you're barely passing", and I found out afterwards what he meant because he could tell I was very close to the curb).

Though I also recall the kid who was the last one to get tested that first time I got turned away had passed his test, and was so happy afterwards that he drove off with his parking brake still engaged, squealing his tires a good 50 yards or so before he figured it out. I thought the cop was going to chase him down and take the passing score away, he was visibly frustrated. :)

But anywho, back to the original remark, my high school had a driver training course that included a simulator, nothing like modern simulators (remember, early 90's), but a simulator nevertheless. I don't know how common that is or in this case if they even offered training to non-students, but there might be drivers ed places near where you are that do simulators, and of course you should be able to do on-the-road testing with them also. I see cars with driver training/student driver markings on them all over the place around where I live now, I often wonder if that's a warning to stay clear or more of a "kick me" sign. :evil grin:

https://austindrivingschool.com/

There is no substitute for actually driving in a car with someone who knows what they are doing. Your complaint about brakes is a good example - no simulator is going to help you with that.

It's a fact that some car brakes are "sharper" than others - better get used to it if you ever rent a vehicle - you need to be able to adjust, not the brakes (unless there is actually something wrong with them).

Your friend is right, you need behind the wheel practice. No simulator is going to help as long as you already know the "rules of the road". Making an appointment for a road test if unsure of your driving capabilities is a waste of time and money.

IMO you should look into the area driving schools like the one Zebedee listed. To be honest, I don't know if any supply a vehicle or not but that's your homework. Spatial awareness is only learned by time time behind the (real) wheel. And I can corroborate Will's story about the driving tests in PA. I failed spectacularly the first time when I took out the cones during the slalom test. I started out fine at about 5 mph but you needed to go through it at approx. 20 mph. The statey told me to speed up so I hit the gas; took out the cones and almost smashed into the guard rail of the parking lot ! Of course I blamed that on the fact that I was driving my Dad's '67 Chevy station wagon. :)

Good luck with it and be careful. Driving around Austin was a real PITA as I recall. Get out into the country if you can.

I looked at Austin driving school but they are a bit expensive so it's not a huge priority right now. I figured if I can afford a car I can afford drivers ed with them (they offer the use of their vehicles for the test)

I'm actually looking more at getting a scooter, because it's a lot less expensive than cars to maintain however I'm trying to see how I can shuttle rockets/stuff to launches (the guys at the launch club gets real grouchy if I asked them for rides)

There are a lot of little things that you would not be able to do in a simulator, like checking your Blindspots.

I have a Bulgarian friend who used a driving school. His driving was much improved. I don't recall it being that expensive. This was in cambridge, ma, where there are a lot of foreigners looking for formal driving education. Their budgets are probably much different than a spoiled American high school student seeking a license to drive their new Mercedes. So you might shop around and look for programs near UT. Finally, if guys in AARG are getting annoyed, put out a collection jar at the next launch to take donations towards getting a car and a license! If they are really annoyed, they might just be willing to fork over some cash.

I have enough trouble getting guys to take me to a launch in the first place. Seems most of them lives in Round Rock so it was a bit out of the way (I live in South Austin). Perhaps I should take up a hobby that allows me to be self reliant... such as shooting because I found Red's Indoor Range can be reached by bus/bike (at least the one in South Austin)

Back