a few photos from the Midway museum, San Diego

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjphoenix

Reaction score
Going though photos on my computer tonight I came across these, taken about 5 years ago. One of the photos is a Sidewinder but I'm not going to try to identify the other two.

P1000177b.jpg

P1000178b.jpg

P1000185b.jpg

That is one of my favorite stops when I am in San Diego. The wife and I usually spend a day at Sea Port Village and another day between the Midway and some of the other attractions right there.

If you haven't Anthony;s Fish Grotto or the Top of the Market you really need to!!!
Both are excellent eateries with wonderfully delicious fresh seafood !!

A few of my favourite things :)

Harpoon, a pair of Sidewinders (and the tail of a Sparrow), and a HARM.

Question for those who might know... the seeker lenses on those two 'winders look different. Illusion? Different variants or something?

They don't look like lenses but solid noses. I suspect the missiles are inert rounds, just not painted as such. However, I am not an expert on the Sidewinder.

The aircraft appear to be the Hoover, Rhino, and SLUF.

FC

I would say the whole seeker and part of the guidance section is an inert part made to look like the real thing ,but just a cast or facsimile.

For sure it is not the actual part.Nice picture though ,wish you had more !

Paul T

They don't look like lenses but solid noses. I suspect the missiles are inert rounds, just not painted as such. However, I am not an expert on the Sidewinder.

FC

Good job--not too many know the F-4 as the Rhino

FC

is the SLUF the A-7?
a post below ID'd the F-4 as the Rhino......what's the Hoover?

Back