3" Der Big Red Max Nose Cones on Estes Site... Is this New?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frogglicker

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I was just quietly lurking through the Estes website hoping for a glimpse of the 3" Pro Series Goblin when I happened upon a 3" Pro Series II Nose Cone. I scrolled down to the description and sure enough, it says it's for the Der Big Red Max. I know I looked for this before b/c I wanted one to carve up to engineer an AVBay into the NC but they were nowhere to be found. I also have seen a 3" Goblin kit from BadBoy Rocketry on Ebay that includes everything but the nose cone (need to rob it from a BRM kit or share), which leads me to believe that this is a newer addition.

So, I was wondering if this has been there the whole time or is this something new?

They are not expensive, running right at $15 before tax. I'm definitely getting a couple.
https://estesrockets.com/product/072304-pro-series-ii-3-plastic-nose-cone/

1682911048006.png

So, I was wondering if this has been there the whole time or is this something new?

I haven't seen a 3" nose cone on the Estes site for more than a year. Thanks for the heads up, a lot of folks will be happy to see this.

edit: I just checked an old saved link, and this part# 072304 was listed previously. But that link hasn't worked in quite a while.

Last edited:
Heh heh. I paid less than that for the complete DBRM kits that should be here tomorrow.

Same here. 3 complete kits delivered yesterday. I seriously only bought them for the nose cones.

I will be building an upscale Patriot so I'll have use for at least one of the body tubes. The other two will be for a 3" upscale Nasa Pegasus and a 3" Upscale Goblin.

With the nose cone available again, that opens the door for an upscale Space Station Aquarius, Photon Probe and Photon Disruptor as well.

Now if we could only get them to bring back the 2.5" body tube couplers so I could use all of the 2.5" tubes and nose cones I have laying around. :)

Last edited:
Here's a partial list for upscale possibilities

KC-5* BOMARC
0657 BOMARC
0891 Prime Number Explorer
1278 Vigilante
1294 Cobra-1500
1332 Sea Strike 'D'
1334 Sky Bolt
1335 Blue Bird Zero
1368 Comet
1376 NASA Pegasus
1902 Space Station Aquarius
1943 Magician
1997 Pathfinder
2025 Meteor
2043 Photon Probe
2052 Photon Disruptor
2124 F-22 Air Superiority Fighter
2138 Firebird
7001 Meteor (Boxed)
KC-2 Der Red Max
KC-3 Patriot
K-52P Omega
0651 Der Red Max
0652 Patriot
1200 Omega
1271 Renegade
1295 Mean Machine
1300 Blue Ninja
1331 Maxi Icarus
1339 Patrol Cruiser Excalibur
1403 Der Big Red Max
1778 Long John Silver
1983 Arrow
2031 Army Hawk
2185 Screamin' Mimi

I think it's important to distinguish between the #071075/PNC-55AO and the Der Red Max PNC-60AH / DBRM 3-in nose cone when talking about up/downscales. The Goblin and Red Max are significantly different shapes with a notably different visual "look," especially when viewed side by side.

Further, the #071075/PNC-55AO seems to differ from older BNC-55AO nose cones, which evidence indicates were likely rather inconsistent/variable in profile.

Come to think of it, if I'm going to be this pedantic autistic about things, I should carefully reverse-engineer the profiles of both the PNC-60AH and the #072304 DBRM cone to see how close/different they actually are.

Thanks for the "heads up".

Mark

Edit: just ordered 2. UHG...like I need more parts. Now have 4, and 3 of the MBRM 4" cones. ;)

Last edited:
I think it's important to distinguish between the #071075/PNC-55AO and the Der Red Max PNC-60AH / DBRM 3-in nose cone when talking about up/downscales. The Goblin and Red Max are significantly different shapes with a notably different visual "look," especially when viewed side by side.

Further, the #071075/PNC-55AO seems to differ from older BNC-55AO nose cones, which evidence indicates were likely rather inconsistent/variable in profile.

Come to think of it, if I'm going to be this pedantic autistic about things, I should carefully reverse-engineer the profiles of both the PNC-60AH and the #072304 DBRM cone to see how close/different they actually are.

I've looked at them side by side and they are different. The red max cone has a longer profile.

For my upscales the Red Max cone is "close enough" as it is the closest shape out there at a reasonable price. I'm not in a position to 3D print or turn my own cones so I'll need to be happy with what is available. Rarely do we ever get an exact upscale even coming from the manufacturer.

I think for most upscales - especially those where the nose cone isn't painted a contrasting color to the body - the DBRM cone is good enough. Divided as to what I'll do for a Goblin. Probably paint the aft of the cone. (If I instead 3d printed a cone, I'd probably go with 3.1" OD fiberglass tubing.)

A 3" Mean Machine would be hilarious. Would be right about 12' / 3.7m long. 🤣

A 3" Mean Machine would be hilarious. Would be right about 12' / 3.7m long. 🤣

Lets not talk about that. :rolleyes:

Only reason I haven't built it is I don't know how I would transport it. It would need to come apart in at least two sections, maybe 3 and fly off of an 8ft rail which I have.

I planned to use a stuffer tube that ran all the way to the upper body tube with centering rings above and below each coupler and at the midway point to add rigidity to the air frame. That is the only way I could figure out how to use the thin wall tubes and add strength. Balsa Machine has 34" section of 3" tubing so it would only take 4 pieces to complete.

2023-05-01_13-58-10.jpg
2023-05-01_13-38-33.jpg

Only reason I haven't built it is I don't know how I would transport it. It would need to come apart in at least two sections, maybe 3 and fly off of an 8ft rail which I have.

I planned to use a stuffer tube that ran all the way to the upper body tube with centering rings above and below each coupler and at the midway point to add rigidity to the air frame. That is the only way I could figure out how to use the thin wall tubes and add strength. Balsa Machine has 34" section of 3" tubing so it would only take 4 pieces to complete.

View attachment 578284
View attachment 578285

I suspect it'd be way easier to separate it much closer to the fin can.....then just assemble the upper pieces together (screws, pins, whatever) and fly.

I suspect it'd be way easier to separate it much closer to the fin can.....then just assemble the upper pieces together (screws, pins, whatever) and fly.

I was thinking of having it come apart in the center leaving me with two 6ft sections. I could install inserts into the couplers and use screws to keep it together during flight.

Kinda wish they'd put the Doorknob cone up. World needs moar upscale Alphas and Patriots.
I've bought a few Big Daddies just for the size and weight of that cone, but I've also thought of using it for upscales.

Could make it in as many sections as you need, really. All of a sudden I want to build one myself. Maybe next year. Build queue is far too long already.

I was just quietly lurking through the Estes website hoping for a glimpse of the 3" Pro Series Goblin when I happened upon a 3" Pro Series II Nose Cone. I scrolled down to the description and sure enough, it says it's for the Der Big Red Max. I know I looked for this before b/c I wanted one to carve up to engineer an AVBay into the NC but they were nowhere to be found. I also have seen a 3" Goblin kit from BadBoy Rocketry on Ebay that includes everything but the nose cone (need to rob it from a BRM kit or share), which leads me to believe that this is a newer addition.

They are not expensive, running right at $15 before tax. I'm definitely getting a couple.
https://estesrockets.com/product/072304-pro-series-ii-3-plastic-nose-cone/

View attachment 578223

A couple of years ago, I asked Estes if they'd sell me a replacement nose cone for a Nike Smoke and they said no dice. Ended up getting one from Apogee.

Good to see Estes playing ball on parts like this now.

My experience has been a mixed bag. I have inquired through the web site about several nose cones that did not seem to be available except in kits. A few times, it has been just not available. In one case, they offered to sell me one at a price more than I was motivated to pay. In another case, Denise just mailed me one that looked like it had been sitting around on someone's desk or in a conference room for awhile. Still haven't decided what to do with it, but it will probably drive the use of some more parts and motors when I do, so a win on their part. Overall, I am very pleased with Estes' service.

Back