3/16 semi-scale patriot

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rex R

LV2
Reaction score
got a few parts from Estes the other day...to build a patriot. should be about 40" long when complete and do somewhere about 1000' on an F52.
Rex

rrpat 001.jpg

thank you, think it took about 4hrs start to finish to make them (mostly drying time). as I was running this through OR, I was thinking that Estes must have used every trick in the book to get theirs stable w/o adding nose weight...turns out they used most of them :), thought my fins were light at 3g, the Estes version used cardstock fins(with a balsa rib)...:).
Rex

got a little more done, the warhead section is essentially done.
Rex

patload 002.jpg

patload 001.jpg

well given the doggers and birders...I suppose that only leaves 'Hush-a Boom' :).
Rex

Cool!

I'm thinking, if I eventually build the second Leviathan kit I got at the Fry's sale, I might do something similar with it --- paint it in Patriot livery and make a payload section. I probably would not reshape the fins, so it would not be a scale Patriot, but it would be "Patriotic."

I'l be interested to see how it turns out.

leaving the fins stock would certainly make life easier, since you wouldn't have the stability issues that I'm having to cope with. easiest way to make a payload section involves an additional tube coupler and a plywood bulkhead(which you'll have to probably make). I would suggest securing the nose to the payload bay with a 2-56 screw or two.
Rex

Cool!

I'm thinking, if I eventually build the second Leviathan kit I got at the Fry's sale, I might do something similar with it --- paint it in Patriot livery and make a payload section. I probably would not reshape the fins, so it would not be a scale Patriot, but it would be "Patriotic."

I'l be interested to see how it turns out.

I thought Fry's wasn't going to sell these rockets anymore? I like to get too and the MDRM

lol, thank you. I'm thinking that was one of the easier bits...now for the tricky part, the fin can. they are sooo much easier when you have precut fins etc. spent some time 'adjusting (and indexing)' fin slots to match the fins. a Dremel w/ a sanding disk works wonders for that :).
Rex

todays progress. got the initial stage of the fin can done, tomorrow I will start doing all the fillets(what fun, whoopee).
Rex

pfincan 001.jpg

finish doing all the fin fillets...and now it is mostly done :).
Rex

patbuild 005.jpg

patbuild 004.jpg

patbuild 002.jpg

patbuild 001.jpg

put 3 coats of paint on it and said, good enough. the moment of truce has arrived :).
Rex

patdone 001.jpg

dry weight 564g (19.9 oz.). so it went for it's maiden flight yesterday(April 26). sent it up on an F52-6 blue thunder, winds were a little strong at times but, didn't seem to affect the up portion much. it did a little tail slide just before deployment (OR said about 1000'). I used a 30" chute to try and protect the balsa fins so I had a bit of walking to do to retrieve it (about 700' down wind of the pad). must have hit a rock after it landed, the body has a missing paint chip. the chute shelf and baffle did their jobs :).
Rex

thank you kind sentient. think I've managed to find the 'right' motor on my first try:).
Rex

Latest posts

Back