2X BT80 Blue Bird Zero Nose Cone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Early Starts

Reaction score
I put together a BT80 (Heavy Tube) Blue Bird Zero. I stuck a nose cone from my stock on it. It is the BMS BNC80KH $13.30 Long Ogive - blunt tip (fits T80H)8.25 inches long. This is not the correct upscale. I have the body tube a little long to compensate at the moment.

I could get the correct one: Semroc BNC-80AO Ogive 9.9" 1.34 oz $15.75 but it is for a normal BT80 tube so it would fit but there would be a mismatch between the nose cone and the body tube.

To do it right, I would need to have a cone made for me. What are your thoughts? How does it look so far?

I did fly it naked over the weekend on an AT G71-7 Redline and it had a great flight. Probably 6 people asked me what it was (not sure that was due to the nose cone though).

View attachment DSC_5572.JPG

I did fly it naked over the weekend on an AT G71-7 Redline and it had a great flight. Probably 6 people asked me what it was (not sure that was due to the nose cone though).

The nose is fine. It's not like its a scale model or anything. Once you paint it and put some decals on it, folks won't ask what it is.

I agree with Rokiflite. An inch and a half or so is not gonna' make or break that rocket, especially now that it's upscaled. It's close enough I'd say. Get 'er painted and decaled and you'll be amazed at how many people will recognize it. The BBZ always gets some love on the field, it's one of those "classics" IMO.

Sweet looking BBZ. I have parts ordered to build a 4" dia version of the BBZ, she will stand 120" tall when done.

BBZ is the one rocket i want most to clone.I had one years ago,was the first rocket i ever built.I believe it was considered "skill level two"back then.But,i jumped right in , regardless.It was awesome.first flight,unfinished right into a tree.Hung out for a couple days till i managed to figure out how to get far enough up in the tree to get it down.Painted it later that week and flew it numerous times.It was lost a few years later,then after the woods behind the field started to get developed,i found the BBZ.it was in sorry shape after being outside for a few years.I did salvage the NC,which was about the only part(being plastic) that didn't fall apart when i picked it up.:cry:

Inch or two here or there makes no
difference unless you are a scale purist...

Just paint her and let her rip !
:D

I agree with Rokiflite. An inch and a half or so is not gonna' make or break that rocket, especially now that it's upscaled. It's close enough I'd say. Get 'er painted and decaled and you'll be amazed at how many people will recognize it. The BBZ always gets some love on the field, it's one of those "classics" IMO.

I agree, paint the top half blue put the decals on and go fly!

Personally I am a fanatic about these kinds of things and I would have Sandman make the correct nose cone -- but then again that's me.

I could get the correct one: Semroc BNC-80AO Ogive 9.9" 1.34 oz $15.75 but it is for a normal BT80 tube so it would fit but there would be a mismatch between the nose cone and the body tube.

Ahh I thought the OD of the tubes was the same, but I rechecked the BMS site and it looks liek the ID are the same. It would be very easy to add some wood filler to the base of the cone and blend it in. Or just let it go as it is.

kj

Ahh I thought the OD of the tubes was the same, but I rechecked the BMS site and it looks liek the ID are the same. It would be very easy to add some wood filler to the base of the cone and blend it in. Or just let it go as it is.

kj

That's what I'd do and I make nose cones!

I still have not decided what to do yet but I did double my problem. I made a 2X goblin over the weekend that needs the same cone!

I stuck a PNC-80K in it that I had in inventory so it is in the same condition. The good thing is that I made this one with standard BT-80 tubes so the Semroc nose will fit perfectly.

That'll work thanks!

About your problem, I would just leave it as it looks awesome as it is! However If you really want the correct length, I would just buy the semroc cone and sand down the shoulder to get it all to fit.

Back