24mm reload case

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky 94

Reaction score
I am going to try and get my hands on one of these by tomorrow.:cool:

Just make sure everything's in the proper place when you assemble it; I've destroyed a delay grain before taking it out because I'd forgotten the delay o-ring. Not really a problem, just a bit of a setback; Aerotech quickly sent a replacement (great customer service, usually).
I've used mine for >10 flights now, I think. Will be flying again this weekend with my Madcow Rocketry Little John and a machbuster, hopefully :)

Well if I get it it will go into my Tall Boy, and a lot of others to come. About how much do they cost retail?

Originally posted by Lucky 94
Well if I get it it will go into my Tall Boy, and a lot of others to come. About how much do they cost retail?

Rouse-Tech I believe cost anywhere between $35 and $40.

So I will be buying it around there anyway then. How much for shipping? The one I am looking at is Aerotech.

Originally posted by richalex2010
Just make sure everything's in the proper place when you assemble it; I've destroyed a delay grain before taking it out because I'd forgotten the delay o-ring. Not really a problem, just a bit of a setback; Aerotech quickly sent a replacement (great customer service, usually).
I've used mine for >10 flights now, I think. Will be flying again this weekend with my Madcow Rocketry Little John and a machbuster, hopefully :)

boy does that sound familiar ;) Who ripped mine out again? I just can't remember ;) :p

Ben

It looks like if I win today I will get it by next weeks not this coming week's Monday. Going for Es and Fs for this one. I am never using this in a first time.

That 24/40mm case off of eBay. All I have to do is pay then i will have my first reload case.:D :D

This casing is AWESOME! I love it, love it, love it! I fly E18 and F24 loads in my Estes Phoenix, Big Daddy, and Executioner all the time! It's amazing how loud and powerful those loads in that tiny little casing are!

My best advice on it - test fit EVERYTHING. Sometimes the propellant spacer tubes and the delay liners can be kinda tight. If they are, peel a layer of paper off the outside so they slide in easier. Things will still seal fine like this, and you won't ruin your spacer or delay by shoving it in until it crimps or tears. Also - don't trust motor hooks. When I fly this casing in an Estes style motor mount, I put the hook under the motor like normal, then wrap floral wire or masking tape around the hook/motor to make sure the hook doesn't shift and allow the casing to kick.

What if you don't have motor hooks and the model is already built?:( :( :(

What if you don't have motor hooks and the model is already built?:( :( :(

Friction fit with masking tape, and tape the casing to the motor tube. That is what we do on our Snarky and 24mm Fat Boy.

Thank You! You just saved me and countless rockets of mine. Will just friction fit on a min diameter do?

Friction fit will be fine on min. diameter as well.

Got mine in the mail today and it looks great.:D :D :D Put it in a baggy and then into my launch box. Can't wait to use it.

Lucky,

Do a RF or google search on "positive motor retention". There a numerous ways to ensure your motor casing is not kicked out of the rocket (and they are all much better than friction fitting). On a tall boy you might use kaplow clips, bolts, and standoffs.

Also don't put motor blocks into your rockets now that you are using reoadable motors.

Why?:confused: :confused: They fit in just fine in the 24mm and the 29mm casing I am using.

Why?:confused: :confused: They fit in just fine in the 24mm and the 29mm casing I am using.

When you get into HPR (notice I'm saying WHEN and not IF) you'll need to build your bigger rockets without motor blocks because the motors are all vastly different lengths. Plus, RMS casings have build in motor blocks - look at the aft closure on your 24mm RMS, and you'll notice it's wider than the casing. That's the motor block on an RMS casing. It will keep the casing from shooting up through the rocket. You just have to keep it from popping out the back.

Ellis Mountain Single Use Motors!

G37's in 24mm if you want to kiss your rocket goodbye, or G20's in 29mm for a nice sloooooow liftoff (but not if your rocket weighs 28oz dry!). The G37 is WAAAY longer than a 24/40 case, and the G20 is just a little longer than a 29/40-120 case. Of course, you'll need to put masking tape thrust rings on the single-use motors if you leave out the engine block.

-Rick

You can always let the motor stick out the back a little if it's too long, but that might affect the CG.

Originally posted by m85476585
You can always let the motor stick out the back a little if it's too long, but that might affect the CG.

That's what I did with my arcas and a G20, and aside from the underpowered problem, it worked fine.

-Rick

Guys I am not putting anything bigger then what these rockets will take. I didn't design them like that because currently I am short on funding and can't afford the equipment to mod these rockets.

Guys I am not putting anything bigger then what these rockets will take. I didn't design them like that because currently I am short on funding and can't afford the equipment to mod these rockets.

Heh, likely a good choice. It's always easy to suggest that someone ELSE use a great big motor!

-Rick

no need to modify the rockets you already have; just leave it out in the future. It'll work just fine without, you'll just need a bit more masking tape :)

Back