2.33 Upscale 29mm Photon Disruptor

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott231

Reaction score
Finally got my first upscale project to look like a completed rocket. Upper is a 3" LOC tube and bottom is a BT-70 total height is ~59 inches. Will use one 29mm motor.

I am contemplating a test fire with standard recovery system (36" chute, no electronics, weight with single use G motor is <42oz) that will not require certification. Step 2 will be to cut the upper tube and add an E-bay fitted with an RRC3 & Archetype Cable Cutter system for my first dual deployment flight. These additions should put me over 55oz, so certification will be required.

If all goes well I have plenty of room to move up to "proper" dual deployment system with a drogue.

Big Thanks to Stickershock.com for the correct sized vinyl decals and Gary7 for the upsizing data.
IMG_8770.jpgIMG_8772.jpgIMG_8776.jpg

Second pic shows where I put the 'Radiation Flux' decal (that 99% of the PD pictures never show!) The picture with the 34oz weight is without recovery system or motor.

Only regret is not using a heavier, sturdier lower body tube, however, the TTW fins on an 11" motor tube should hold the power without support from the BT. If nothing else, I like it. Wifey saw it for the first time and said "Wow, that's Huge!" :jaw:

Man! That is Awesome!!!! Now get out there and disrupt some serious Photons!!!!
Show those pesky Photons who's Boss!:clap:

I love a good PD upscale..... My first upscale was this kit at this size, great job. Where'd you get the nose cone?

Nice job ,very well done !

I did a 4" upscale awhile back ,it`s a sweet looking kit when it`s done big ,isn`t it !

Now you need to do a nice big Photon Probe :wink:

Take care and good luck on your first flight !

Cheers

Paul T

Disrupting and Probing Photons is cool. Now we need a Rocket that just striaght up Fights the Photons. I'm going to begin developing/designing a Photon Fighter. What else can be done to Photons short of destroying them? Actually, Photon Destroyer sounds like a fun Idea too.

Dammit! Installed the rail buttons Friday night and was reminded of the old saying, "measure twice cut/drill once" as the buttons are off by a millimeter or two. They are too close to the plethora of fins on the Photon Disruptor and rocket does not fit on the 1010 rail. Thanks to the red Loctite I cannot unscrew them. As such I have resolved to add 2 more buttons properly spaced between two other fin sets.:facepalm:

Dammit! Installed the rail buttons Friday night and was reminded of the old saying, "measure twice cut/drill once" as the buttons are off by a millimeter or two. They are too close to the plethora of fins on the Photon Disruptor and rocket does not fit on the 1010 rail. Thanks to the red Loctite I cannot unscrew them. As such I have resolved to add 2 more buttons properly spaced between two other fin sets.:facepalm:

I have heard that heat will soften Loctite. I wonder if you could heat up just the screw with a soldering iron.

So the first flight back in November went off beautifully to about 800 feet. Quite windy day had me do some walking for recovery. Second flight was way underpowered and rocket lawn darted before the 8(!) second delay ever went off.

IMG_5931.jpg

This resulted in the upper foot of the body tube being cut off; and Open Rocket said that would help with altitude - so I flew it this way on the third flight. Too much wind and not enough time on the launch rail caused a long ~60* flight on a G38-7. The chute opened but did not inflate soon enough and left me with my second lawn dart...and a pile of rubble. My son ran after it and brought it back for me. Based on the heighth of the mud on the nose cone, he prolly had to pull pretty hard to get it out.

PD destruction.jpg

Rebuild parts ordered. Rocketry - It's a constant learning experience :surprised:

Anyone know some tricks on how to get the plastic nose cone "round" again? I'm not so sure the out-of-round is that bad. Maybe some light heat?

Back