18mm cases?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thobin

Reaction score
Is Areotech doing away with the 18mm re-loadable motors? I can find the reloads. I just cant find any new 18mm cases.

TA

Also, I got to talk to Gary at NARAM this past year and asked him about the 18mm motor reloads. He did confirm to me that AT is working on new reloads for that case - no time frame for their release, however (I think he's pretty busy right now with his new laser product line).

Also, I got to talk to Gary at NARAM this past year and asked him about the 18mm motor reloads. He did confirm to me that AT is working on new reloads for that case - no time frame for their release, however (I think he's pretty busy right now with his new laser product line).

This has been the standard answer for many years now. Don't hold your breath

If the 18mm line had as many reloads as the 24mm, I would buy one on the spot. Until then, 2 loads is not enough to justify a case imho - although the price at hobbylinc is very cheap right now! Hmm, tempting at $16.

If the 18mm line had as many reloads as the 24mm, I would buy one on the spot. Until then, 2 loads is not enough to justify a case imho - although the price at hobbylinc is very cheap right now! Hmm, tempting at $16.

You can also buy the 3-pack for $85 18, 24 and 29

I have often found that the price of the 3-pack was higher than buying all three individually (rocket math?). I noticed this several times, but it was several months ago.

You could be right, but I think it this case it would be cheaper buying the 3-pack You figure the 24 and 29 are @ $35-42 each and maybe as mentioned the 18 is at $16?

You could be right, but I think it this case it would be cheaper buying the 3-pack You figure the 24 and 29 are @ $35-42 each and maybe as mentioned the 18 is at $16?

I think the 29 was $35, the 24 was $21, the 18 was $15. Some form of sale on them. AT prices went up since though.

This item is listed as, "Discontinued, no longer available for purchase", at Hobbylinc.

IMO this RMS is worth having for the 2 reloads available to it. The D24 is a dynamite motor, a real head turner and neck snapper. The D13 is a great utilitarian load. 3 packs are cheaper than a pack of D12s and they are pretty close to a full D. A little more hassle than a BP motor no doubt but when you launch one and people ask, "what was that?", the extra hassle is worth it.

Last edited:
Yes D24 looks good to me, but I have mostly 24mm and up kits so I just use the D15 instead.

Don't forget that the 18mm reload is really useful in rockets that are just a bit too heavy to safely fly using the C6. The Mars Lander and Outlander both come to mind. This way, you can build them stock with the 18mm motor mount.

Where do you see the 18/20 case on Hobbylinc? All I can find is the three-pack.

Don't forget that the 18mm reload is really useful in rockets that are just a bit too heavy to safely fly using the C6. The Mars Lander and Outlander both come to mind. This way, you can build them stock with the 18mm motor mount.

The D15 is an EXCELLENT motor for the Outlander! I flew mine on one and was way cool!:cool2: Didn't even try to fly it on a C6:roll:

Think I have the video somewhere..Will have to look around and see if I can find it and post it...

Value rockets has single use cheap enough that I though it was a better option than reloads.

https://valuerockets.com/product_details.aspx?pid=2&itemid=1
They do make for an enticing option, don't they? I thought it would be kinda cool to assemble such a small motor, so I bought the RMS case anyway (and it was cheap!). I may have gotten one of the last 18/20s in Hobbylinc's stock last year, for $17. If I don't lose it, over time it will end up being less expensive to use than the SU 18mm composite motors. IF I don't lose it. ;)

I did both SU and some reloads. The SU are for places where the case might (probably will) get lost.

For the price, I see either as a decent option. The $6 ones at that site, are the only ones cheap enough. Even hobbylinc is a lot more expensive.

Back