18mm BT60 Redstone (semi-scale)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnRE

Reaction score
Had a little time at the bench today and finally got around to starting on my Redstone.

Turned the capsule a few days ago at work, another first for me. Weight lessons learned from the last home grown build led me to use modelling tissue for the fin covering to try and keep weight at the tail down, handy having a misspent youth aeromodelling ;)

18mm BT60 Redstone (4).jpg 18mm BT60 Redstone (2).jpg

I put this build here as it home grown and far from true scale, hope this is the right place?

Had a little time at the bench today and finally got around to starting on my Redstone.

Turned the capsule a few days ago at work, another first for me. Weight lessons learned from the last home grown build led me to use modelling tissue for the fin covering to try and keep weight at the tail down, handy having a misspent youth aeromodelling ;)

View attachment 255677 View attachment 255678

I put this build here as it home grown and far from true scale, hope this is the right place?

Looking good!
What sort of adhesive do you use for the Tissue on the Fins? Sounds intriguing. Is that the same type of tissue like you would use on a Guillows Balsa Frame Plane?

It is regular light (not heavy) modelling tissue just like Guillows. Fins are CA soaked then I used Aliphatic adhesive for the tissue. They are light as a feather, just hope they hold out for a few landings.

It is regular light (not heavy) modelling tissue just like Guillows. Fins are CA soaked then I used Aliphatic adhesive for the tissue. They are light as a feather, just hope they hold out for a few landings.

Sounds like it'll be plenty strong! I'm going to give it a shot on a set of fins and see if I like it. Thanks.
I have sometimes in the past used actual CA/paper towel, toilet tissue, to reinforce things like Tail Cones, but had never thought of using your method for Fins. I'll bet there are some good applications just waiting for this method!
I'm getting the Estes #3232, Centuri Kit soon. Perhaps I'll use tissue on the Fins rather than FG Cloth.....

Back