1/50 scale Saturn 1b

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... marred by throwing RAH under the bus for no good reason...

The reference opinion was mine, not that of WOOSH. And it didn't throw RAH under the bus. Any further discussion belongs here. Now, back to our regular programming...

Photo Update......Tower on with fancy jig. Tower base hold downs and jetison motors installed.

101_0039.JPG

101_0040.JPG

101_0041.JPG

Thanks for the kind words guys.

I focused some work on the fin section the last couple of days. Since the fins are just glassed balsa...and since they were tacked down with 5 min epoxy. I decided to glass them down. If one doesn't make a mess...one can glass on the kitchen counter. Lots of sanding and filling and sanding and filling to come.

101_0043.JPG

101_0045.JPG

101_0046.JPG

I focused some work on the fin section the last couple of days. Since the fins are just glassed balsa...and since they were tacked down with 5 min epoxy. I decided to glass them down. If one doesn't make a mess...one can glass on the kitchen counter. Lots of sanding and filling and sanding and filling to come.

Nice Marty but...You fiberglass IN THE KITCHEN???

I think I would lose "man parts" if I did that!:y:

More work has been done on the fin section. I had everything sanded down enough to put some primer on. Sand,fill,sand,putty,(sand some more)and now I'm here.

1b build 011.jpg

Building the LEM Shroud/Command Module stack.

All of my parts have been cut out now for a couple of weeks. Loc 3" tube, a section of 5.38 tube coupler cut down, a section of loc 5.38 stiffy tube, and various centering rings.

1b build 008.jpg

Next up was to tack things into the cut down tube coupler with some CA. The bottom plate was added to recess the assembly and removed prior to the epoxy.

1b build 009.jpg

1b build 010.jpg

Next I glued the 2 centering rings together. One fits inside the stiffy tube and the other is beveled for the shroud.

1b build 007.jpg

1b build 001.jpg

The shroud was made from poster board. It was installed and then glassed with 1 wrap of 4oz cloth and West Systems.

1b build 003.jpg

The last 2 pics for today. A look at the bottom....and where I stand as of today.

1b build 002.jpg

1b build 004.jpg

Work Update.....
I've applied the wraps to the second stage body and made all the little fidgity bits and glued them in place. The parts that are primed in grey are balsa, all the rest is styrene cut to shape. The Ullage Rocket Fairings are basic tube and paper.

1b wraps 005.jpg

Project Update.....

After my last update...I took a week off and went camping. When I got back I went to work painting this rocket in sub assemblies like the old Centuri/Estes 1/100. The fin can was masked and painted. Fuel tankes painted 4 white and 4 black. Second stage roll pattern done. I'm getting there.....later.

101_0073.JPG

101_0074.JPG

101_0075.JPG

101_0076.JPG

101_0077.JPG

EXCEPTIONAL work indeed! This has been a great build and very informative. I think once I gain the skills and knowledge I would like to try something like this, but I could not put a time frame on it. There's just so much work and detail involved. This is really a great project and workmanship at it's best. :D

Wow, it looks great! :clap: That's an incredible amount of detail. The only way it could be better is if it were a Saturn 1 SA-5 instead. :tongue:
Can't wait to see it all painted up and with decals! (BTW, who are you getting the decals from?)

I'm no great builder.....but it has turned out nicer than I've expected. I already have the decals in my grubby little hands. A custom set made by Gordy at Excelsior.

Photo Update.....

I still have a few parts and decals to put on, and motor retention and then glue the whole thing together...someday I'll get r done. I hate it when life gets in the way of my rocket building.

sat1b 001.jpg

Back