1/2 Scale Orbital Sciences GCQ 163 "Coyote" - Level 3 Certification Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sambatterman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The Beginning and Dedication

I'm starting a build of a GCQ-163 "Coyote" sea-skimming cruise missile. I'm not the first to build this rocket and I want to dedicate the build to the memory of Drake Damerau, who guided the NEPRA chapter in Northeast Pennsylvania in the early 2000s and helped me achieve my level 1 and 2 certifications. Drake, or "Doc" as he was known, sadly passed away at the far too young age of 56 in January 2022. He was the first to build this missile at that time period. I believe his build was half scale as well, but there are no records that record his construction that I know of - if you know of any archive, please let me know.

Compared to my last two builds, the Boeing 86-A ALCM and the Nike Hercules, this rocket seems pretty straight forward.
We all say that until we get into the details. :)
Here are the general statistics of the "real thing." And just a note here. There are multiple versions of this bird, and I'm interested in the original spec, marketing image. Please note the two sets of fins on the fairings. Many images only show one set - at the aft portion.

R (2).jpg

Specifications
Length18.4 ft (5.62 m) without booster, 31.4 ft (9.56 m) with booster
Diameter14 in (35 cm), booster: 18 in (46 cm)

So, yeah, this is a long missile. At half scale this will be around 9' long and I'll be going with a 6" as the diameter of the rocket. Yes, I know I'm in the scale forum and I know this isn't perfect scale. Perfect scale is at least twice or three times as expensive, so this is "Sport Scale."

First things first, let's model this in OpenRocket and get a sense of dimensions and basic components of the rocket. I'm using OpenRocket Version 22.02 (beta .05) for this because of its cool new feature "pods" - which allow you to attach things to the body tube in an offset both laterally and radially. This is just an initial look - refinements will come later.

Here's the explorer view - with the clear use of pods.

1685799737602.png

And here's the plan:

1685799827911.png

Most of these parts will be sourced at Always Ready Rocketry, because I love Blue Tube. It's easy to work with and extremely strong. Nosecone, motor tube, body tubes, coupler and probably center rings will come from there. Fins and fairings will be prototyped on my CNC, but probably sourced from SendCutSend. Aerotech for retainers - love these things. And a 6" x 75mm thrust plate from Mile High Rocketry. A 10' Spheractute and 5' Rocketman drogue will round out the recovery. Electronics are MissileWorks RRC3 and Perfectflight Altimeters.

I'm keeping this at 75mm because I can achieve my level 3 on an M motor and still have compatibility with my other large models (ALCM, Nike Hercules). The motor hardware is the most expensive part of this.

Come along on the journey. Thanks for all your thoughts and encouragement in advance.

Last edited:
Does Always Ready Rocketry actually have 6" nosecones that fit blue tube? They are never listed as being available when I check their website.

Does Always Ready Rocketry actually have 6" nosecones that fit blue tube? They are never listed as being available when I check their website.
Good 6" Nosecones are hard to find - I will give you that. When I just looked at their site they are listed at the bottom of the nose cone list.

FIBERGLASS NOSECONES
FN-6.0 6.00 Nosecone 6.007 24.00 5.50" 28.0
FN-7.5 7.50 Nosecone 7.512 29.00 6.00" 44.0

Yes, but if you select it from the drop down it is listed as being "out of stock" and it has been this way for some time. (I have three 6" 48" long tubes in the store room - lol).

Design of the Inlet Fairings and Fins

Okay I fired up Fusion360 and created the inlets and the fins. After I was happy with the dimensions and overall look, I exported them as DXF outlines so any CNC machine can take them. The inlet fairings are long - 41" long - much too long for my Shark (tops out around 17"). So, it's off to SendCutSend.

3d fairing inlet.jpg

Side view of the inlet fairing - left is forward and aft to the right. Two of these and a number of pieces on the top and bottom of the inlet comprise a single fairing.

fairing inlet side view.jpg

I've attached the DXFs for convenience and interest.

Attachments

• DXF.zip
    174.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Should be able to use a Wildman FWFG nose cone.
Nosecone needs to be around 24" long (sans shoulder) to fit into the current plan. I have a 36" long filament wound nose cone, but it's just too stinking long. Look we could easily get into a "this vendor doesn't provide this or that" kind of conversation here and believe me I could fill a forum with supply frustrations. I think supply gets worse as you go up the scale - nosecones being the best example of pain. I do try to support all the vendors in the space when I build a rocket. Rocketman chutes, Spherachutes, MissileWorks, Wildman, Blue Tube, Giant Leap, Aerocon Systems and Performance Hobbies. I do really miss Polecat Aerospace - what a great vendor they were.

Nosecone needs to be around 24" long (sans shoulder) to fit into the current plan. I have a 36" long filament wound nose cone, but it's just too stinking long.
Sam,

"S.O.R.A.C." could be a possible solution for your situation . . . ( attached ).

Dave F.

Attachments

• NoseConeFabricationProcess.pdf
    450 KB · Views: 0
Through the fairing; through the wall construction

My SendCutSend parts arrived last weekend and I've spent the last week strategizing about exactly how to build this aft portion of the Coyote. With four fairings/air inlets and the fins mounted to the center line of each fairing, I decided to go all the way to the motor mount tube for strength. This means I had to drag out my router table and with a lot of help from my son, cut two fin slots per fairing. This also means that I will need to cut fin slots in the aft body tube (6" blue tube). I decided to use the Giant Leap glass sock to apply fiberglass to the blue tube and I'll be doing that this week. I'll post pictures next weekend of the progress. 80% of this build is in the aft section, so I have to get this right.

Oh, yeah. My decals came from StickerShock. Mark Hayes does amazing work.

Back