Who's Your Daddy?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
This should be a fast and fun scratch build. It's a kinda sorta 1.3x upscale of the Estes Big Daddy. 4" diameter and 34" tall. The nose cone shape doesn't match, and it'll be a little taller than it should be, but I think it'll be obvious what it is.

screenshot.jpg

whos_your_daddy_empty_blk_red_wht.jpg

I used 5/32" birch plywood for the fins. I pinned them as usual, cut them with the bandsaw, and sanded them with the stationary belt sander.

01_fins.jpg

02_pins.jpg

04_fins.jpg

05_fins.jpg

07_fins.jpg

I was originally planning on using a motor mount kit from Mercury to save aft weight, but decided on stronger 1/8" plywood centering rings instead. I'll just have to add a little more nose weight. I cut the rings with a 4-1/4" hole saw, and cut them to their final diameter on the lathe. I cut the center holes with a 1-3/16" hole saw, and sanded them to fit the 29mm motor tube with the Dremel. I epoxied scrap pieces of plywood to the aft ring for mounting the tee nuts.

08_centering_rings.jpg

09_centering_rings.jpg

10_centering_rings.jpg

12_centering_rings.jpg

15_tee_nuts.jpg

I cut the motor 5-1/2" tube and 15" body tube with the miter saw. With a fine blade on it, it cuts fairly smooth. But more importantly, it cuts the ends square.

13_motor_tube.jpg

17_body_tube.jpg

18_body_tube.jpg

I epoxied the forward centering ring to the motor tube, and epoxied the tee nuts in the aft ring. I also epoxied the 3/16" eye bolt in the forward ring. Once the epoxy had set, I epoxied the motor mount forward ring into the body tube.

20_motor_mount.jpg

21_tee_nuts.jpg

22_motor_mount.jpg

24_motor_mount.jpg

Using a finwrap tool from Payload Bay, I marked the fin and launch lug positions. Using a length of aluminum angle, I marked the lines and the fin slot positions on the body tube, then cut the slots with an Xacto knife. Using my homemade fin alignment guide, I started attaching the fins with epoxy.

23_slots.jpg

26_slots.jpg

27_slots.jpg

28_fins.jpg

Got the fins all attached. Like I said, the nose cone and length don't exactly match, but I think it's pretty obvious it's a Big Daddy upscale. The body tube and nose cone are from Mercury Engineering. Their components are inexpensive yet high quality. That big nose cone is 16" long not counting the shoulder, yet it only weighs 5oz. According to Open Rocket, it'll require 3oz of nose weight to be stable.

29_fins.jpg

30_fins.jpg

31_fins.jpg

32_fins.jpg

33_daddy.jpg

I swear, I fall asleep for 1/2 an hour and Qquake already has a rocket built!
Nice work! I love a good Big Daddy!

Alex

Looking good Jim. Kinda looks like a upscale project I have in the works myself. XLgiz 008.JPG

Way kewl! I have a shorter blunt tip nose cone that needs a home like that... I might have to play in OR and see what I can come up with....

Very Nice!

Man, that was fast. I need to get some more power tools. Trying to cut straight edges on fins with a Dremel sucks.

Yes indeed ,that was fast.If you`re like me, when`s the last time you bought a CR ?

I trust you don`t have AADD do you ?

Yup ,I need a time management coach :blush:

Paul T

This should be a fast and fun scratch build. It's a kinda sorta 1.3x upscale of the Estes Big Daddy. 4" diameter and 34" tall. The nose cone shape doesn't match, and it'll be a little taller than it should be, but I think it'll be obvious what it is.

QQuake are you getting the nose cone and parts from Mercury...if not I think they would work great!

WOW it must be nice to have all those cool tools to build the parts with. QQUake the build is coming along great!!! Vewry nice!

Wow!!!Another great looking build:handshake:.I might have missed the weight of the total rocket.What did you end up with?Might have a try at something like that in the future.:wink:

nice job quake..your builds keep getting better and better.
this will be one strong and well performing flyer no doubt !
liking the attention to detail

I wish I could post 7 replies, take and download 26 pictures, and fully construct a scratch built rocket... and all completed in under 30 minutes!:y:

Sha - zam!

Why dont you cut the inside holes of your rings on the lathe? I know you have a set of calipers. Just curious.

Next time use a 38mm motor tube. Gives you more options and if you really want to fly a 29mm motor, I have an extra 38-29mm adaptor that's still in the LOC bag.

You've pretty much convinced me to buy a benchtop bandsaw. Probably gonna have to wait on the small lathe, tho.

Next time use a 38mm motor tube. Gives you more options and if you really want to fly a 29mm motor, I have an extra 38-29mm adaptor that's still in the LOC bag.

You've pretty much convinced me to buy a benchtop bandsaw. Probably gonna have to wait on the small lathe, tho.

Old dude, How much are you asking for it?? I'm looking for one!

Old dude, How much are you asking for it?? I'm looking for one!

To me it's really not worth selling as they can be bought at the LOC/Precision website for $5 plus shipping. Whenever I order anything from LOC, I usually add in a few motor adaptors as they take a beating on my tube fin rockets. That's the part that absorbs the impact of landing. :eek:

You might want to call Barry Lynch aka the Doctor of LOC and ask him how much to ship one or two. He answers the phone when you call.

I swear, I fall asleep for 1/2 an hour and Qquake already has a rocket built!
Nice work! I love a good Big Daddy!

Alex

Well, I did a lot of the work days before, while I was waiting for the parts to arrive. No magic here. LOL

QQuake are you getting the nose cone and parts from Mercury...if not I think they would work great!

Yep, that's exactly where they're from!

I wish I could post 7 replies, take and download 26 pictures, and fully construct a scratch built rocket... and all completed in under 30 minutes!:y:

Sha - zam!

Most of the photos had already been edited. Just a matter of posting them and typing some text.

Why dont you cut the inside holes of your rings on the lathe? I know you have a set of calipers. Just curious.

Well, it's easier to use a hole saw and a Dremel, than to attach a 4" disc to the lathe so I could cut the center hole.

You need more tools. Seriously.

You know what's sad? If I had more room, I probably would have more tools!

You are a MACHINE

Braden

I think I'm just obsessed, but thanks for the compliment!

Back