Biggest scratch build yet - Bluto

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a Beast! This thing should make a magazine cover when it goes up!
Too bad we are so far apart, I'd really like to stand next to this rocket, especially when finished!
Oh well, there's always video and pics...

JP

I've often wished the same thing for many, many builds I've seen on here.

Of course I do, don't be silly. I have to sleep sometimes. :tongue:
i have actually sleep walked (slept?) and found my self sitting at my workbench holding my dremel thank god it wasn't plugged in because i left a carving bit in it :y:

i have actually sleep walked (slept?) and found my self sitting at my workbench holding my dremel thank god it wasn't plugged in because i left a carving bit in it :y:

I prefer getting up early to work on rockets. I'm an early riser.

There are soooooo many options for a Level 1 kit. I was originally going to use a LOC-IV for mine, but ended up using a Minie Magg instead. It was a low and slow flight on an AT H123, to about 900ft.

minie_magg_L1_12edit.jpg

minie_magg_L1_13edit.jpg

minie_magg_L1_23.jpg

I once forgot to add my U-bolt in a rocket one time.

Cussing didn`t help.......but it didn`t hurt either !

I got one in eventually ,but never again......I hope !

paul t

I can hardly wait to buy myself a wood lathe ,then i`ll have every tool known to mankind :eyeroll:

What do you do about duct collection Jim ,as there must be quite a lot of it.

I have never used a wood lathe (believe it or not ) but from watching woodworking shows (love that stuff) there seems to be plenty of shavings and dust.Since I`m in the trade/business ,I was thinking of making a large dust collection hood behind the area where the wood flys off.....but it seems to come off in several directions.

Any thoughts ?

Paul t

I can hardly wait to buy myself a wood lathe ,then i`ll have every tool known to mankind :eyeroll:

What do you do about duct collection Jim ,as there must be quite a lot of it.

I have never used a wood lathe (believe it or not ) but from watching woodworking shows (love that stuff) there seems to be plenty of shavings and dust.Since I`m in the trade/business ,I was thinking of making a large dust collection hood behind the area where the wood flys off.....but it seems to come off in several directions.

Any thoughts ?

Paul t

They make a hood that you put behind the lathe and attach a dust collector to. I have one somewhere, but never did try it. I had a dust collector at one time, but didn't use it much. I sold it, and just use a shop vac now. I don't know how well the lathe hoods work, but I'm sure they would at least help.

I realized I put the rail button blocks in the wrong places. I had oriented them between the 29mm outboards, but the fin tabs will have to go between them to the 54mm motor tube. So I had to epoxy on new ones. That meant I had to saw off one of the tee-nuts on the aft centering rings.

205_rb_block.jpg

206_rb_block.jpg

207_rb_block.jpg

208_rb_block.jpg

I got the new rail button blocks sanded and the new tee-nut pressed in. I decided to offset the new tee-nut, to give me more room for the rail button screw.

213_rb_block.jpg

214_rb_block.jpg

215_tee_nut.jpg

216_tee_nut.jpg

After a month long hiatus, I'm back at work on Bluto. Since there are five motor tubes in the motor mount, it was a little bit fiddly getting the aft centering ring aligned with all the tubes. So I used a 45 degree grinding stone in my Dremel, and put a slight chamfer on the inside of the holes in the centering ring. Seemed to help a bit. I also got a bigger piece of aluminum angle to make sure the fin and rail button lines are straight.

223_grinding_stone.jpg

224_grinding_stone.jpg

225_angle.jpg

227_motor_mount.jpg

229_centering_ring.jpg

I smeared a very liberal amount of epoxy inside the body tube, at the place the forward centering ring would be. Inserting the motor mount half way, I smeared some more epoxy inside that the middle centering ring would catch. I used 30 minute epoxy for the extra setting time.

230_epoxy.jpg

231_epoxy.jpg

232_epoxy.jpg

235_epoxy.jpg

GREAT work Jim!!!
I wish I could drop by and put my hands on this beast...

JP

I know your about to go into your off season, but I cant wait to see this fly.

Now that is a big a$$ fin slot! I had to cut a slot in the fin tab to fit over the middle centering ring. First time I've had to do that. I marked it, then drilled a 1/4" hole before I cut it with the bandsaw.

236_fin_slot.jpg

237__fin.jpg

238_fin.jpg

239_fin.jpg

240_fin.jpg

I obviously marked the slot in the fin tab wrong, so I had to recut it.

241_fin.jpg

242_fin.jpg

243_fin.jpg

244_fin.jpg

245_fin.jpg

Yeah, I look at it and wonder what I was thinking!
I'm pretty sure a lot of other folks have the same thought.

It's a cautionary tale. It starts out so small and low powered. Then it's only going to be a level one cert... Next thing you know, you need a trailer to haul your rocket to the launch.

Back