Biggest scratch build yet - Bluto

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the time I got to the fourth fin, it became almost too heavy for the fin guide. I had to add a couple of thicker bungee cords to hold the body tube to the guide.

You know, I've seen bigger rockets, both on the forum and in person. But to me, this thing is a monster!

284_bungee.jpg

290_fins.jpg

291_bluto.jpg

O
Okay, I've decided to go with four 29mm outboards. I just ordered the 29mm motor tubes. I'll be making three 1/4" plywood centering rings. I'll put a single tee nut next to each outboard, and two tee nuts next to the 54mm tube for retention.

Now why can't I permanently plug all four 29mm tubes? They'll be 16" long, which will fit all the way up to 6 grain XL cases. I can't think of a reason not to plug them. I've also decided that if I ever DO use any of the outboards (which I won't, ever), I'll probably just fly it as a cluster, and not mess with air starts. In which case, I would definitely use CTI reloads, since they light so easily. But it doesn't matter, I'll never launch it as a cluster. Ever.

You ain't kidding! It'll take five, but I'll use three for the first flight. Hope they all light!

My how time changes a man. I would call this progresss, but it may just be a descent down the spiral. Either way, be sure to take pictures.

Last edited:
O

My how time changes a man. I would call this progresss, but it may just be a decent down the spiral. Either way, be sure to take pictures.

My thoughts exactly. :wink: Thanks for picking this build up again, I now remember how disappointed I was to see it fade away! I can't wait to see pictures of the first 5-engine flight!

I always found Rocketman chutes to be a great bang for the buck...........

Teddy

I talked to Ky Michaelson, The Rocketman, on the phone yesterday. Very nice, very interesting man. He recommended a 3ft chute for the drogue, and a 9ft for the main. I ordered them this morning. He told me that due to his chutes' design, they open very gently. I can't wait to see them in person!

My how time changes a man. I would call this progresss, but it may just be a descent down the spiral. Either way, be sure to take pictures.

My thoughts exactly. :wink: Thanks for picking this build up again, I now remember how disappointed I was to see it fade away! I can't wait to see pictures of the first 5-engine flight!

You know, I was thinking just yesterday, this is my fourth year of being an active BAR. I've accomplished more in four years than I ever thought I would. I never planned on any of this, it just sort of happened. Level 1, Level 2, and now a high power cluster. It's been a hoot! I still want to try my hand at air starts and a high power two-stage someday, but one thing at a time. Let's get Bluto finished and in the air!

As I said, the first flight will be on three motors. But IF it's successful, and that's a BIG if, I've been thinking about five motors. I think it would be fun to launch it on three different propellants. A combination of sparkies, smokies, and white, or some such. Now that would be amazing!

I talked to Ky Michaelson, The Rocketman, on the phone yesterday. Very nice, very interesting man. He recommended a 3ft chute for the drogue, and a 9ft for the main. I ordered them this morning. He told me that due to his chutes' design, they open very gently. I can't wait to see them in person!

Hey Quake,,,,,,
Ky Michaelson is a nice man..........
It's always a pleasure dealing with him.........
And the bang for the buck he offers is fantastic............
You CAN pay less for a chute,,,,,,,,,
but not for a chute anywhere near his,,,,,,, they're top of the line chutes........

What'd you get,,,,
The 1.1 or the 1.9 Pro X ??????????
I've bought Pro X before,,,,,,,,,,
I have a very tight space to put a chute right now
and I'm thinking about trying one of his 1.1 Standard chutes.............

Teddy

Hey Quake,,,,,,
Ky Michaelson is a nice man..........
It's always a pleasure dealing with him.........
And the bang for the buck he offers is fantastic............
You CAN pay less for a chute,,,,,,,,,
but not for a chute anywhere near his,,,,,,, they're top of the line chutes........

What'd you get,,,,
The 1.1 or the 1.9 Pro X ??????????
I've bought Pro X before,,,,,,,,,,
I have a very tight space to put a chute right now
and I'm thinking about trying one of his 1.1 Standard chutes.............

Teddy

I ordered the 1.1oz standard chutes. After talking to Ky, I'm confident that they'll be plenty strong enough.

I ordered the 1.1oz standard chutes. After talking to Ky, I'm confident that they'll be plenty strong enough.

I don't doubt for a second,,,,,,,,,,
Great price too right ???
I'm going to order one of those for a 38mm minimum D I just built.......

Your really gonna like his chutes Quake.........

Teddy

I don't doubt for a second,,,,,,,,,,
Great price too right ???
I'm going to order one of those for a 38mm minimum D I just built.......

Your really gonna like his chutes Quake.........

Teddy

He's sending them via Priority Mail, so hopefully Ill get them in 2-3 days.

Looks like a lot of fun! I'll be staying tuned!

Later!

--Coop

Started on the external fillets tonight. I'll need to go back and fill the "dips". I'm using 15 minute epoxy.

292_fillets.jpg

293_fillets.jpg

294_fillets.jpg

295_fillets.jpg

296_fillets.jpg

297_fillets.jpg

Looks like you're using just epoxy without any fillers. Before I became a rocket surgeon I used 15 minute epoxy too but I added microballoons until I got the consistency of melting ice cream. The fillets turned out very smooth and barely required sanding.

Be advised that additives can/will shorten pot life.

Will you need a trailer to haul Bluto to the launch site? Just asking.

Flour can also be an excellent filler. It has a very similar consistency to wood.

This build is looking very good. I can't wait to see it fly at the Ranch.

Ari.

Looks like you're using just epoxy without any fillers. Before I became a rocket surgeon I used 15 minute epoxy too but I added microballoons until I got the consistency of melting ice cream. The fillets turned out very smooth and barely required sanding.

Be advised that additives can/will shorten pot life.

Will you need a trailer to haul Bluto to the launch site? Just asking.

Flour can also be an excellent filler. It has a very similar consistency to wood.

This build is looking very good. I can't wait to see it fly at the Ranch.

Ari.

I have some micro balloons, but haven't used them. I'm not known for my fillets, that's for sure. They're strong, but unattractive.

I was going to strap Bluto to the top of my van like Ross used to. :p

Got some more work done on the fillets tonight. There were some gaps, so I used tape to keep the epoxy from flowing out the other side. Yep, done that before. I used 5 minute epoxy this time. Still got some dips to fill.

299_gap.jpg

300_gap.jpg

301_tape.jpg

302_fillets.jpg

303_fillets.jpg

304_fillets.jpg

305_fillets.jpg

306_fillets.jpg

307_fillets.jpg

309_fillets.jpg

Remember my Magnum where the fins came off? I had yellow glue fillets, and the fillets were the part that stayed on the rocket. Plywood failed before those fillets. You're fine with what you have, they are plenty strong.

Ari.

Remember my Magnum where the fins came off? I had yellow glue fillets, and the fillets were the part that stayed on the rocket. Plywood failed before those fillets. You're fine with what you have, they are plenty strong.

Ari.

Yeah, I'm not too worried about the strength. I think they'll be plenty strong enough.

I got the switches for the altimeters, and the 1515 rail buttons from Dog House. He included a length of heat shrink with each switch, nice touch. Bluto looks even bigger in the garage! What was I thinkin'?

bluto_garage1.jpg

bluto_garage2.jpg

rail_buttons.jpg

switches.jpg

switches_rail_buttons.jpg

Got some more work done on the fillets tonight. There were some gaps, so I used tape to keep the epoxy from flowing out the other side. Yep, done that before. I used 5 minute epoxy this time. Still got some dips to fill.

Not too bad, structurally you know you're good, so just embrace the Bondo and go with it. When you drive down the road with this thing strapped to your van I hope you have someone taking pictures of the looks from those who drive by. They may be more entertaining than the flight itself.

Not too bad, structurally you know you're good, so just embrace the Bondo and go with it. When you drive down the road with this thing strapped to your van I hope you have someone taking pictures of the looks from those who drive by. They may be more entertaining than the flight itself.

It would be hilarious! With my luck, though, I'd drive through a swarm of juicy dragonflies...

You were thinking you wanted a rocket that would roar.

I'm pretty sure Bluto is going to roar. I just hope he doesn't scream all the way to the ground!

Now this is a cool parachute! It's the 9ft Rocketman main. I tried to get my son to jump off the roof with it, but he declined. He did drag it behind his bike, though, so it would open for me. What a great son!

9ft_1.jpg

9ft_2.jpg

9ft_3.jpg

9ft_4.jpg

9ft_5.jpg

9ft_6.jpg

9ft_7.jpg

9ft_8.jpg

....yer gonna regret not useing a 75mm main motor mount ;) A K550 or the like won't lift it all too high on it's own. What kind of altitude are you looking at with a full load?

It's in the budget this year to get a 7.5 cone, I've been watching the Yardsale but no luck so far. I had a choice one year, a 7.5 or 30 small cones...for one rocket. SEMROC was happy with me that week ;)

Using my usual 1/2" nylon spacers to set the depth and keep it level, I epoxied in the aft centering ring.

310_aft_cr.jpg

313_aft_cr.jpg

314_spacers.jpg

315_aft_cr.jpg

317_aft_cr.jpg

318_aft_cr.jpg

319_aft_cr.jpg

Latest posts

Back