1/24 scale V-2 from Spacemonkey Models now shipping!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Duffy

Reaction score
Just a quick FYI: at long last, the 1/24 scale V-2 kit from Spacemonkey Models is now shipping! While this is offered as a static kit, it should be a great PMC candidate as the tooling was created to produce parts for the 2010 US Scale Altitude team. See:

https://www.spacemonkeymodels.com

The completed model stands 23" tall, and features markings for four different V-2 variants. Each kit also comes with a copy of the rocket.aero DVD "The V-2 in America."

James
www.spacemonkeymodels.com

The V2 kit and DVD arrived today. Very nice! I may have to purchase another one to save. I am quite impressed. Now to decide on making it fly or leave it static.

Here are some photos of James and his Bumper Wac from the World Spacemodeling Championships in Serbia last summer. As I understand it, the V2 kit is being made from the same molds James and his teammates created for their FAI scale altitude competition models. FAI scale competition is about as OCD as it gets and, this year was at least the second time James has done the Bumper Wac. So these models have been fully vetted. Their scale bone-fides are simply the best you can get. And since this was a scale model which was designed to be flown, the kit should be pretty easy to convert.

First pic is of James and his model, the rest are detail shots I took because I was just blown away by the level of detail.

Really looking forward to getting my kits.

Steve

IMG_1304.jpg

IMG_1305.jpg

IMG_1306.jpg

IMG_1307.jpg

IMG_1308.jpg

Last edited:
Attached are a few photos I took at the WSMC.

Many thanks to both Steve and George for posting these photos of the 2010 WSMC Bumper WAC models. Just as an FYI, the models we flew in Serbia used lightweight polyethylene airframe tubes, and the detail on the current styrene parts shipping with the V-2 kit is actually much more crisp than what is seen is these photos. The styrene parts are also MUCH simpler to paint and glue than the preproduction parts we used last summer.

James
www.rocket.aero

James,

The kit arrived in perfect shape yesterday, three days after the order. You got a transporter down there in TX or what??? :D

Just as an FYI, the models we flew in Serbia used lightweight polyethylene airframe tubes...
James,

Having PMC'd a 1/35 scale V2 with a 24mm Estes D12 I imagine this 1/24th scale model will be even easier to convert. My 1/35th scale model flies uncomfortably fast and high on a D12 (apparently that Von Braun guy knew what he was doing :wink:) so I'm looking forward to a little larger and heavier version. I know your Bumper Wacs were meant for altitude, which is why you used the lighter plastic, but were you using a 24mm motor in the booster V2?

Steve

James,

Having PMC'd a 1/35 scale V2 with a 24mm Estes D12 I imagine this 1/24th scale model will be even easier to convert. My 1/35th scale model flies uncomfortably fast and high on a D12 (apparently that Von Braun guy knew what he was doing :wink:) so I'm looking forward to a little larger and heavier version. I know your Bumper Wacs were meant for altitude, which is why you used the lighter plastic, but were you using a 24mm motor in the booster V2?

Steve

The Bumper WAC models that Tony, Matt, and I flew in the Scale Altitude event used Serbian Ultra B6 boosters. (Note that the polyetheylene airframes we used were MUCH lighter than the styrene airframes in the Spacemonkey Models kits.)

I did fly a preproduction styrene V-2 on an Estes D12-3 in the S7 Scale event, though, and it was roughly similar to the currently shipping kit. The D12 was just about perfect for the conversion.

As an aside, I had a spare D12-3 left over after the event, which I gave to a fellow competitor from Lithuania. He was absolutely *amazed* by the gift of such a rarity, and that such a "powerful motor" (his words) was widely available in America. Just goes to show you that you should never take anything for granted, I guess. On a similar note, the eastern European competitors were studying the Estes catalogs that Mary Roberts distributed like they were examining the Dead Sea Scrolls...

James
www.rocket.aero

Last edited:
Received my kit a few days ago (kit #1, yeah). The quality of everything in this kit rivals anything you'd get from a larger company. The detail on the airframe is outstanding. The graphics that are part of the instructions are 4-color photos and razor sharp. Decals made in Italy!

James really went the extra mile on this one. The addition of the DVD is a great idea. Not only do you build the kit, but you get a detailed history of the original rocket on the DVD which James also professionaly produced.

This is great for doing presentations for school kids or other groups. You can show the video then go over the rocket too.

Back