Estes mean machine downscale

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigone5500

Reaction score
Has anyone on TRF ever done a BT5 downscale of the Estes Mean Machine?

Could you post the rocksim file if you have one or just send the plans? Thanks.

Oooops you said BT-5.. the mini mean machine is BT-20
The Skinny Mini was BT-5 :D I'm pretty sure the plans for both can be found at JimZ or ye Ole rocket shop. If not let me know I have the plans from my models I'd have to scan for you.

095-sm_skinny mini (min length a superroc)_01-05-91.jpg

Originally posted by Micromeister
Oooops you said BT-5.. the mini mean machine is BT-20
The Skinny Mini was BT-5 :D I'm pretty sure the plans for both can be found at JimZ or ye Ole rocket shop. If not let me know I have the plans from my models I'd have to scan for you.

Mr. Meister...I have found these plans - https://www.dars.org/JimZ/estes/est0880.pdf - and want to know if I print the fin stock picture, will it be 1:1 with the original. Meaning if I were to print them out as is, are they going to be the same size as the ones that came with the kit? If you can though...could you get the measurements on the fins if you have them so I can be as close to the original ones as possible? You can put them in X-Y coords format. Thanks for your help...!!!!!!!

*EDIT*

I have printed the finstock pic with no page scaling and came up with these measurements (X-Y root edge being the baseline for X and the leading edge tip being zero)

leading edge tip - 0,0
0, 11/16
1 7/8, 1 1/8
2 1/4, 1 1/8
1 9/16, 1/4
1 11/16, 0

I can send a rocksim version if you would like me too.

My son and I have built a series of mean machine varitions that fly quite nicely. The "annoying machine" is based on BT55 body tubes and flys on D engines quite nicely. The "mildly annoying machine" is based on 18mm tubing (BT20?) and the "T-nee machine" is based on bt-5 and flys really nice on an a10-3T. The problem with the BT-5 version is that of getting a recovery sustem into the tiny tube. After several flights with the rocket getting shorter after each repair what seems to work best is a thick fuzzy yarn that acts as a streamer.

Back