Pdr K-21

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So how does the PDR kit compare to the original one put out by Estes back in the early days, and then the "re-release" in the early 90's? Been tempted to grab one of those re-release kits off the bag but when they get over $70 I say uncle and skip it. The Estes re-release kit - is it a copy of the older one or an upgraded version with better details?
I'll probably end up with the PDR kit but just curious how all 3 kits compare...the original, the re-release and the PDR kit.

Hi micro,
My apologies but i have only actually seen and built the PDR kit. For what it's worth i found it a fun kit and I learned a little carving as well.
Cheers
fred

First off Fred...ayyyyy (like Fonzie)

Originally posted by micrometer
So how does the PDR kit compare to the original one put out by Estes back in the early days, and then the "re-release" in the early 90's? Been tempted to grab one of those re-release kits off the bag but when they get over $70 I say uncle and skip it. The Estes re-release kit - is it a copy of the older one or an upgraded version with better details?
I'll probably end up with the PDR kit but just curious how all 3 kits compare...the original, the re-release and the PDR kit.

I never progressed to anything beyond an Alpha as a Kid... so I don't know how they compare. This is the only one I've built. This kit was great to build, quality parts and good service straight from pdrrocketry.com.

Andy

I haven't seen the PDR kit directly, but from what's been written it looks to be a faithful clone of the original Estes GT. I had that one as a kid: balsa cone you had to carve, clear plastic fin material, and it did not come with any decals. That was a pain. I didn't even try the lettering on mine. I assume the PDR kit has the same stuffer tube arangement, which was kind of a pain. It is nice that it comes with decals.
The kit Estes released in the 90s was completely different: smaller, 1/73 or something, vs. 1/54 for the original. The newer kit had a plastic capsule and removable engine unit, also used on the Titan III, and a clear plastic fin unit that slipped inside the main BT. It was only around a very short while, hence the high prices on eBay. I think Mike Schmidt at Moldin Oldies has a resin repro of the capsule for that one.
Drew Tomko

Stacks up pretty decently. For the most part, the parts are exactly the same (except for material differences like laser-cut black fiberboard instead of die-cut bleached white cardboard).

The nose cone is from BMS, but his is not an exact clone (about 1/4" shorter). You can get a much better Gemini capsule nose cone from Semroc.

The fins are made exactly the same way, but hopefully our advanced glue technology will make that bit better.

The great new thing is the wrap around decals (at least it'll seem great until I actually get around to doing them).

Hi guys,
I have finished the rocket including the transparent fins. I have to admit they look a little delicate to me. The PDR kit comes with a 24 inch chute. I substituted a 18 inch chute. Given the weight of this rocket I think 24 will simply carry it to far. I used a calc at emrr to dtermine the chute size and it came out aproximately 18.
Cheers
fred

Question for PlanetAndy.........

Are there any good flying fields left in Dutchess County? I'm originally from Wappingers Falls. As a kid I used to fly all the time at the Wappingers Junior High School football field off Myers Corners Road, but if memory serves me correct, all the schools have now fenced off all their playing fields, ostensibly for 'insurance reasons'.

Are public flying fields drying up in general across the country? Most of the parks here in Florida in my area have far too many rocket-eating trees to take a chance.

hi micro...

I graduated Ketcham 1980... do I know you? I fly in the field that belongs to Vassar College off of Rt. 376 sometimes, Arlington High School has about 7 soccer fields connected that works sometimes and last year I found that Greenvale Park also off of 376 in Red Oaks Mill has a very large soccer field (but you have to go on the road behind the playground that doesn't even look like it goes anywhere) which has been my field of choice lately. I don't think that you would want to fly anything beyond LP though in any of these fields. I don't know about the old WJH field. I went to Van Wyck for Junior High.

Andy

Are there any good flying fields left in Dutchess County? I'm originally from Wappingers Falls.

Way OT, but John, I didn't know you were from that area... Kathy was born/raised in Hopewell Jct... wow, it's a small world!

Originally posted by jflis
Way OT, but John, I didn't know you were from that area... Kathy was born/raised in Hopewell Jct... wow, it's a small world!

Mr. F,

I think you may be confusing Micrometer with Micromeister?

Andy

Andy - RCK - class of '79. I got started in rocketry in 1969 from an elementary school teacher at Evans Elementary... I'm sure we passed in the halls many many times at RCK...

And lived about 7 years in Hopeless Jungle...

The WJH had the greatest field to fly in - a football field, plus 2 ball diamond's worth of space, then just up the hill was the Elementary school field. Never lost one to trees there, but the last time I went back I noticed the fences, kinda sad...

I finally got back to my clone this week. Here is the capsule with the printed out wraps attached. They are a little blurry in the close up, but will look great from 4 feet away! I still have to put a cap on the nose - the BMS cone is shorter than the paper model's nose piece - and add the bump out piece on the side on front of the window.
I have printed out the wraps for the white and black roll pattern sections of the Titan. I've decided to apply chrome Trim Monokote to the silver areas and add details with pinstriping. I found very thin, 1/16" and 1/32", dry transfer white stripes from Woodland Scenics in the model train section of a hobby store. That part will be tedious, but I can't print out the aluminum areas convincingly on my printer.

Drew

Hey Andy... need a wrap that'll fit that nosecone? This is from some future kits I've been developing.

BTW- I too own the PDR GT clone- it's way cool and a lot cheaper than buying the original on e-bay.

allright...now I'm just confused...

Doctor Zooch..Thanks for the offer, my GT has been built (nicely if i do say so), flown and the capsule's cool. I generally don't look back unless repairs are indicated. She hangs proudly along with my Dr. Zooch Saturn V, Luna/R7 and my (#2167) Mercury Redstone (first flight TBD:eek: )... Now that you mention it though I have a 13mm motor mini GT which is built but hasn't flown. I may be able to scale down the wrap and put it to good use...Thanks.

Drew..keep us posted. You're really painstaking about the details...No doubt it's gonna be impeccable. Maybe we can do a drag race at NERRF II?...or not;)

Mid Week Cheers All! I'm a little uncomfortable using emoticons....
Andy

But...but... my version even comes in two sizes... regular and compact. :p

I'm just foolin' with ya' Andy.

When I finally get around to building my GT, I'm gonna jazz up the engines like this. Of course if I do get the time- that'll mean that they've added several months into the year and cut the "Holiday Season" back to just between Thanksgiving and NewYears.

Originally posted by Dr.Zooch

:D ya got me! LOL (i'm really not comfortable using emoticons...really)

Originally posted by Planet Andy
allright...now I'm just confused...

Drew..keep us posted. You're really painstaking about the details...No doubt it's gonna be impeccable. Maybe we can do a drag race at NERRF II?...or not;)

Mid Week Cheers All! I'm a little uncomfortable using emoticons....
Andy

Andy,

You're on!
Um, that means I have to finish this thing by June :rolleyes:

Here's the capsule completed. It's by no means perfect, but the wrap really adds to the look. On to the Titan.

Drew

Originally posted by dtomko
Andy,
You're on!
Um, that means I have to finish this thing by June :rolleyes:
Drew

Rutro... that wasn't the answer I was expecting...now I've gotta use an emoticon again!:eek:

uh...no rush there Drew!:D

but seriously...it would be my first drag race, and probably a thriller.

A T

Originally posted by Dr.Zooch

You're just teasing us Doc!?! :confused: ;)

Sure... until the prototypes fly this at MDRA weekend.

They're a part of my up-coming and time conusming new line of Alti rockets. The Alti I is similar to a Titan I in the same scale as the K-21 only with fins. The Alti II (A,B and C) are a cross between a Gemini Titan II and a rocket called Echo that I invented in my weird childhood. It is a part of my "The Program" cartoon strip. I have always liked the look of the very early Gemini capsule with the dark nose and white capsule, so I stuck one on both of these rockets just for fun.

Here's the bottom wrap applied. You can just see where I cut slits in the light blue areas for the clear plastic fins, which will have notches in them. For display, plastic strips will cover these areas.

Drew

The chrome wraps are on. They are a bit too shiny for the Titan, so my lastest work has been to tinker with the paper model's wraps in PhotoShop and remove the gray areas leaving the black lines and lettering. I will try to print these on clear decal paper and then apply white pinstriping over that. Then I can knock down the shine with clear flat. Yes, it is way too much work.
Drew

Andy - RCK - class of '79. I got started in rocketry in 1969 from an elementary school teacher at Evans Elementary... I'm sure we passed in the halls many many times at RCK...

And lived about 7 years in Hopeless Jungle...

The WJH had the greatest field to fly in - a football field, plus 2 ball diamond's worth of space, then just up the hill was the Elementary school field. Never lost one to trees there, but the last time I went back I noticed the fences, kinda sad...

Its a Small world indeed, I used to live in Wappingers Falls too. I used to fly rockets at myers Corner Elementry and at a corn field across from my house on All Angels and Kent Rd. Then they build houses in my field!!! The nerve of those people!!!

Mark

Originally posted by ounderfla69
Its a Small world indeed, I used to live in Wappingers Falls too. I used to fly rockets at myers Corner Elementry and at a corn field across from my house on All Angels and Kent Rd. Then they build houses in my field!!! The nerve of those people!!!

Mark

Small world?.... nah...

I AM the center of the Universe!:D

there used to be great massive keggers with live bands in those fields on the north side of Myers Corners Rd. (1975/1976?)

Andy

Small world?.... nah...

there used to be great massive keggers with live bands in those fields on the north side of Myers Corners Rd. (1975/1976?)

Andy

I was a little too young for those, 5-6 at the time, but I did hear about them.

Mark

Small world?.... nah...

Andy

Andy, speaking of keggers, I will never forget my senior year, coming back to school right after Memorial Day weekend...on the bus, pulling into the RCK parking lot...the top of the front of the school had this narrow green band to it...holy **** it's all empty Molson bottles - from the auditorium all the way to the end of the gym, lined up like so many dead soldiers...HUNDREDS...must have been a 1/4 mile of empties stacked on the front of the roof in that neat little row...incredible...

Originally posted by ounderfla69

Mark
That whole area's changed - everyone moving up from Westchester, can't touch a house there for less than 300K, more like 500 and up. The hills on All Angels are covered with new construction, and most of Old Hopewell Road from All Angels to Rt 82. Used to live right on the intersection of 82 and Old Hopewell til they widened it in 1987.

Originally posted by dtomko
The chrome wraps are on. They are a bit too shiny for the Titan, so my lastest work has been to ........... Yes, it is way too much work.
Drew

Drew
Too much work? your attention to accurate detail is inspiring...Exhausting but inspiring. I kinda like the shine, it looks cool but I appreciate your striving for accuracy.

That whole area's changed - everyone moving up from Westchester, can't touch a house there for less than 300K, more like 500 and up....

I remember when Route 9 was 2 lanes and also most of my senior year at RCK. [Clarification edit]Hopewell Junction is referred to as"Hopeless Jungle" yet houses there are in the 500K range cause it's close to the Taconic and 70 miles from NYC. It used to be nice and woodsy.
Andy

Back