Back in time...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stones

Reaction score
Reading the thread about all those classics going up for auction...here ...produced a picture that I didn't know existed until my other half mentioned it.
It's a pic from June 18, 1972 of her late brother who was also into rockets back in the day and I'm sure would be a BAR now if he wasn't taken from us, unexpectedly, just a few short years ago.
Anyone care to take a guess on a) the rocket and b) the launchpad? If it's a stock launchpad, sure isn't ringing a bell in my past.

I'd bet the rocket is a scratch built. I don't recall that design and I know a lot of 'em... (or it could be a Centuri Centurion with the fins cut wrong, but doesn't quite look thick enough...)

as for the launch pad, it's a Centuri Servo-Launcher (item #LIA-65). In fact, I notice that he has the kit supplied Ray-O-Vac batteries that came with the launcher!

jim

Originally posted by jflis
...as for the launch pad, it's a Centuri Servo-Launcher (item #LIA-65). In fact, I notice that he has the kit supplied Ray-O-Vac batteries that came with the launcher!

jim
Tnx for the info Jim. I'll have to do a search and see what I can find for a quality pick of that launcher.

Didn't catch the name of the author but, here's a little info on the launchpad:

"You activated the launcher by pushing down on the handheld orange plastic "launch controller" thingy, which sent compressed air through the flexible black plastic tubing. The air inflated a tiny balloon, which moved a copper strip into contact with a metal thingamajig, closing the circuit, which then sent 3 whopping volts of electricity through the Centuri SureShot igniters (which hopefully you'd installed correctly), sending your "bird" skyward."

Who woulda thought? ;)

Hey,

Look what I found in my "junk" box!

I didn't even know what it was!

There is absolutely NO writing on it.

sandman

Back