Low power chroming

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishhead

Huge Member
Reaction score
There's a thread on Yahoo OldRockets concerning methods for chroming, specifically for recreating an Estes Quasar. Do any of you have any ideas or methods to share on this subject?

Heo bro,

As far as chroming goes, I have used the Estes Chrome paint with good results. Since it is a paint, it doesn't quite have that mirror finish, but looks good anyway. The other method I have used is wrapping the bodytube in Chrome Monokote Trim...I have done several MicroMaxx rockets that way and they turned out pretty cool and with a mirror finish to boot!

Carl

I had thought of trying to clone the Quasar myself. I had one back in the day and thought it was pretty cool. The monocote trim idea was what I came up with, but how would you properly wrap a nose cone without various seams, ridges, etc?
I did think of trying to make an upscale one with the new Chrome Dome kit and monocote for the body wrap, but I probably won't get around to trying that until next winter when I have more time on my hands.

Back