anyone use/see a Perfectflite mini timer?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone out there had used/known someone who used/seen/heard about/etc. the Perfectflite mini-timer?

Look here!

Also, this may have been discussed here before, but what are some options for a pull-pin?

TIA

I have the perfectflite tiny timer, and have used it twice in attempts to stage composite rockets. In both times the timer worked perfectly. I use a breakwire instead of a pull pin. I tie a piece of solder to either breakwire, and have a string tied to that and the launch pad. When the motor lights and pulls the rocket up the pad, the string will break the solder connection and start the timer. I know somebody who is working on a G-switch for his, I will ask him how it works when he gets it finished and tested.

The only problem/complaint I have with it is that it can only handle a max of 5 amps in the firing circut. That means if you have a 1.6 ohm ignitor like a daveyfire, then you will blow the timer with a 9v battery. I had to go with a 3V lithium camera battery for the power for mine. They have since offered 3.6v nicad batterys for the timer that solve that problem.

Its a great product for the price.

-Brian Barney

Brian,

Sounds good, thanks for the info! I will have to look at the thing to come up with a breakwire setup, but I bet it's not too hard once you see it.

I thought I saw that you need an upgrade to get the higher current. With all the talk about issues with 9v batteries, I'm a little suprised that a 3 (or 3.6) v battery will reliably fire most ignitors. I assume then you used daveyfires?

Woah, I didn't know they stopped making the micro timers.... thats the one that I've used, but it looks like they now have the mini timer Which has more features..... but is bigger and heavier than the micro timer. Well, I guess my experience doesn't help much now :p

anyway, I used daveyfire 28F's both times. They only need 1 amp to fire. and with a 3v battery, it will draw well over 1 amp. I dont know what the estes ignitors require, but probably not too much.... but as always ground test, ground test, ground test! :)

-Brian Barney

Back