A Little Help Needed

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

othersider

Reaction score
Now that I'm nearly done painting my LOC IV, I have a few questions about my (hopefully) upcoming launch:).

Because I only have the free version of Rocksim, I think it's too old (5.0) to have an F23 in its database. Would anyone be so kind as to find out the stats for a LOC IV on an F23-4:( . I'd appreciate it.

Also, can somebody elaborate on what a "zipper" is. All that I (think) know is that it's a line broken through the body tube by the shock cord mount because of a bad delay.

Does anybody know where I can get AT engines (mainly F's) for cheap prices? It seems Aerotech's incident last November left very few engines around;). I've tried nearly everywhere. Even hobbylinc doesn't have that many engines.

Thanks

Here it is:

Mass with F23BM: 31.8 oz
Mass empty: 29.2 oz
Max alt: 296 ft
Optimal delay: 3.53 (pretty close to 4)

You got the definition of a zipper down pat :)

Try magnum for the engines.

Good luck on the flight!

Thanks for the help. Thank god, because I wanted to launch the LOC on an F23:eek:.

Are zippers caused by ejection before apogee, too far after apogee, or both?

Both... zippers are caused by ejection at high speed. If the ejection is too early, the rocket is still climbing and it could be going too fast. If it's too late, the rocket is picking up speed as it falls back to earth.

Another question:

How are Aerotech's motors (White lightning, blue thunder, etc.) different from eachother. I know that they have different smoke trails, flames, and smoke color, but I get the idea that they have even more individual characteristics.

Originally posted by othersider
Another question:

How are Aerotech's motors (White lightning, blue thunder, etc.) different from eachother. I know that they have different smoke trails, flames, and smoke color, but I get the idea that they have even more individual characteristics.

Hey let the new guy try this, I've been reading up. You pros can correct anything I say wrong! :)

White Lightning: Medium thrust/duration, white smoke.

Blue Thunder: High Thrust, short duration, blue flame and little exhaust smoke

Black Jack: Low thrust, long duration, black smoke.

Close?

The other characteristic that can affect us is the ease of ignition. This is most important for clustering. Blue Thunder is the easiest to ignite and Black Jack is the hardest.

Even though I've uses a few, I am not really sure where Redline falls in this sequence????

Originally posted by rstaff3

Even though I've uses a few, I am not really sure where Redline falls in this sequence????

Redline is between white lightning and blue thunder in burn time and thrust, but also has a lower total impulse because of the special effects chemicals in there that make the color. Redlines also light very easily, come up to pressure fast and burn out very solidly, doesn't taper off as much as the others.

-Brian Barney

Thanks for the update Brian. I had read this before but couldn't remember.

Back