For those of you who hate cell phones...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a couple of Towns in Vermont that are Dead Zones too. Not as Dead as that, but still nice. Groton State Forest/Campground and the small Town of Groton are Dead Zones, which is appropriate since when you go there the whole purpose is to just be out in Nature and whatnot.

Last edited:
I love Green Bank. I am from WV and really enjoy the austere environment.

I don't have one of them things. I have a VoIP and when I leave home there's nothing that can't keep until I get back. I've never lost one, never had one stolen, never dropped one and broken it. Did have to finally replace the dial phone, it just got too old after 40 years. Been replacing them ever since but not as often as the seasonal change in pocket phones...

As someone who lives and dies professionally with one, I'd like to find the guy who invented the darn things and repeatedly hit him with a stick.

I remember VIVIDLY the lecture when I was in college, studying radio and TV, on the subject of this new up and coming thing called "Cell Phones" with a demonstration of how the phone signal would be picked up by and relayed by different "towers" set up in an area. Although the stopped short of calling it "The next big thing", they were saying in 1978 that it was going to surplant pay phones. And they were also teaching that Cable TV and something called HBO was growing by leaps and bounds. Most of our graduates were trying to get into this new thing called "Cable TV"...

There is one pay phone on the wall outside the Ripley High School in WV. I used it to make a collect call to my wife, less than 30 miles away in Ohio, telling her I was coming home. The company tried to pass me a $29.87 charge for a less than one minute phone call. I disputed it, and they talked the charge down to 22, 15, 12, then 6 dollars. I finally agreed to pay it, but it was the last time I would ever do business with them. The company was IDT or something similar. I was SO upset. I learned they had put the phone in so that students that missed the bus could call home to be picked up. And the company was raping the costumers to cover the cost of the phone and installation and service to that not-so-remote location. That was about 12 years ago.

Latest posts

Back